News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Space the Final Frontier

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 19, 2021, 08:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

THE EDGE OF
THE UNIVERSE

THE WEBB TELESCOPE'S REMARKABLE VIEW OF OUR PAST AND FUTURE

FOR MORE THAN 20 YEARS, scientists and engineers conceived an impossibly sensitive and advanced piece of technology. They folded it into a rocket, and on Dec. 25, 2021, they shot it into space.

When NASA contracted Northrop Grumman to develop the Webb telescope, it had a daunting task in mind, with no existing technology to achieve it. The goal: find out where we came from and whether we're alone in the universe — among other objectives. Now, a million miles away from Earth, the telescope is opening its aperture to the deepest fields of space our species has ever seen.

"We're learning more about the early universe on a daily basis than humanity had known for all the years before Webb launched," says Jon Arenberg, chief mission architect, Science and Robotic Exploration at Northrop Grumman.

https://www.nytimes.com/paidpost/northrop-grumman/the-edge-of-the-universe.html

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Food for thought!

I had 2 semesters of calculus in college — don't remember a thing

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 02, 2023, 20:32:38 PMFood for thought!

I had 2 semesters of calculus in college — don't remember a thing

Though many of us feel it was a waste of time, they claim it is taught as an exercise that sharpens our overall critical thinking skills.
So who knows? The skills you learned in calculus class may be what enables you to stalk and successfully outsmart a trout.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

rbphoto

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 02, 2023, 21:33:45 PMThe skills you learned in calculus class may be what enables you to stalk and successfully outsmart a trout.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

I failed calculus x 2 in college. 

I was catching trout quite well on a fly rod several years prior.

Even though I eventually "learned" calculus, my fishing has gotten worse.

You learn knowledge in class.

You learn skill by practice.

I have never "practiced" calculus in a true mathematical method.

Unfortunately, my fishing skills have not been practiced to the level of proficiency I achieved in my late teens/early 20's.

My casting skills have improved, but fishing . . . it's a perishable skill.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

trout-r-us

I believe that some of the principles of calculus are applied in many of the everyday activities of man, including fishing.
We might be consciously or unconsciously utilizing differential equations when adjusting reel drag whether through a mechanical device such as a disc on the reel, or the simpler action of palming the spool to control a running fish. These activities require one to understand the limits of various line strengths.
Casting under different wind conditions is another example of thinking of how we need to adjust for headwinds, crosswinds, etc. Same thing with presenting a fly in varying currents.
Fast vs slow rod action, etc.
It's everywhere.
Who knew fishing was so complicated? 🤣🤣

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

rbphoto

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 03, 2023, 08:12:19 AMI believe that some of the principles of calculus are applied in many of the everyday activities of man, including fishing.
We might be consciously or unconsciously utilizing differential equations when adjusting reel drag whether through a mechanical device such as a disc on the reel, or the simpler action of palming the spool to control a running fish. These activities require one to understand the limits of various line strengths.
Casting under different wind conditions is another example of thinking of how we need to adjust for headwinds, crosswinds, etc. Same thing with presenting a fly in varying currents.
Fast vs slow rod action, etc.
It's everywhere.
Who knew fishing was so complicated? 🤣🤣

Yes, all of us have been unconsciously practicing principles of calculus most of our lives.

Calculus just explains how things happen, not why we do them.

I don't fish to play with mathematics. 

I fish to uncomplicate my life.  God knows I don't fish enough!

I doubt any of us do.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Useless college math classes

1) calculus 1, 2, 3
2) modern algebra
3) matrix theory
4) statical analysis
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I hope we have a couple of clear nights. I saw Halley's and Hyakutake the last time they made appearances.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Astronomers just created a massively detailed Milky Way map with 3.3. billion stars
Researchers now have an intricate three-dimensional structural map of billions of objects in our galaxy

In science fiction series like "Star Trek" and "Star Wars," spaceships can flit around the galaxy thanks to detailed star maps that they navigate in faster-than-light ships. Here on Earth, we lack a comparable Google Maps version of our Milky Way galaxy — or at least, we did.

That's because astronomers have recently released a new and more detailed catalog of the Milky Way, called DECaPS2, which includes 3.32 billion celestial objects. Yes, you read that right: 3.32 billion. The new catalog is the largest roadmap of our galaxy thus far, and brings to light a greater understanding of the intricacies and nuances of the galaxy we live in.

https://www.salon.com/2023/01/23/astronomers-just-created-a-massively-detailed-milky-way-map-with-33-billion-stars/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

OUT THERE

A Giant Telescope Grows in Chile
These days it takes a generation to build a great astronomical observatory. A new one is taking shape in the Atacama Desert.

To walk among the observatory domes of the Atacama Desert is to brush your hair with the stars.

The Atacama, on a plateau high in the Chilean Andes, is one of the driest and darkest places in the world. During the day one can see to Bolivia, far to the east, where clouds billow into thunderstorms that will never moisten this region. At night, calm, unruffled winds off the Pacific Ocean produce some of the most exquisite stargazing conditions on Earth.

One evening in late January the sky was so thick with stars that the bones of the constellations blurred into the background. The Milky Way, our home galaxy, was rolling straight overhead, and the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, satellite galaxies of our own, floated alongside like ghosts. The Southern Cross, that icon of adventure and romance, loomed unmistakably above the southern horizon.

In the last half-century, astronomers from around the world have flocked to Chile and its silky skies, and now many of the largest telescopes on Earth have taken root along a sort of observatory alley that runs north-south for some 800 miles along the edge of the Atacama.

Continue reading NY Times
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Webb telescope just found something unprecedented in the Orion Nebula
Astronomers are excited about the detection of a special molecule in space.

Astronomers have detected for the first time in space a carbon molecule thought to be a crucial ingredient for all known life.
A team of scientists found this Holy Grail compound in the Orion Nebula, a baby star nursery about 1,350 light-years away. That may seem absurdly far, but it's actually the closest large star-forming region to Earth.
Using the James Webb Space Telescope, a preeminent cosmic observatory led by NASA and the European and Canadian space agencies, the researchers not only captured a vibrant new picture of the celestial region — blowing the socks off Hubble's version — but found the new molecule lurking in a young star system, known as d203-506. This system has a protoplanetary disk, a sort of Lazy Susan of gas and dust rotating around the core.

https://apple.news/AISCAyn56RxeWKR5nyeFEYg

https://twitter.com/nasawebb/status/1673347467654340609?s=46&t=sEIkzu_kvAVzU1PW-vD6nw

me -There's a season?