Grindstone Fire at Pilot Mountain

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 02, 2021, 11:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the penalty be for causing a wildfire?

Public Flogging
2 (18.2%)
Huge Fine
1 (9.1%)
Jail Time
1 (9.1%)
Public Service
1 (9.1%)
Permanent ban from public lands
0 (0%)
All of the above.
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Woolly Bugger

The North Carolina Forest Service said a campfire started the wildfire burning at Pilot Mountain.

It was started in a non-designated/unauthorized area. They said there's no word on who's responsible for the fire.

Thursday makes day six of the firefight. Firefighters have the blaze 50% contained. As of Wednesday afternoon, the blaze had torched just over 1,000 acres - about the same as the previous day. Before then, the wildfire had been doubling in size every day. Firefighters remain on high alert, however, because the elements still aren't in their favor. Dry conditions and no rain in sight aren't a good mix for wildfires.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler visited the N.C. Forest Service's Incident Command Post at the Grindstone Fire at Pilot Mountain, announcing that the fire is 80% contained as of Thursday morning. Troxler has said that the cost of fighting the fire so far has been $328,000.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Several fires in Western NC right now. My son works for the NC state park system and he's done nothing but fight fires for 3 weeks now. The one at Pilot Mt was a bad one, some areas will never recover in our life times.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on December 04, 2021, 00:35:35 AM......... some areas will never recover in our life times.

Perhaps.  Severity of the fire?  Fuel load, flame length and height, etc.?

I am a fan of controlled burns as a management tool on forested lands.  Early this year (early spring) the feds and state folks did a burn on a local wildlife management area.  The spring turkey hunters were concerned with the timing.  Within 2 weeks the turkeys had reclaimed the burned area and several gobblers were killed by hunters.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

I remember a couple years ago when someone at a high level recommended doing a better job of raking up leaves from the forest floors.
Perhaps the persons responsible for starting fires should be sentenced to a lifetime of raking. Would make the task of Sisyphus look like child's play in comparison.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

I'm headed that way this afternoon. I'm going to help staff the mobile kitchen, keep everyone's water topped off, and drive shuttles with trucks and ATV for a couple days.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

It doesn't take much to start a raging inferno when it's dry as it is now. Back around March of 2002, I was out tending my bees on a mild day with no wind.  As I made my way back to the house, I nearly shat a brick because the woods behind my house were on fire. Apparently a little pine needle ember maybe a tad larger than a millimeter came out of the smoker, and started this fire. I was maybe at the bee yard for 25 minutes, and the fire was about 100' wide when it was arrived back at the house on foot. If it had been windy, things would have been much worse.

Woolly Bugger

Parts of Pilot Mountain State Park will reopen Saturday 12/11/21

https://www.wfdd.org/story/parts-pilot-mountain-state-park-will-reopen-saturday

On Saturday, some parts of the park that weren't impacted by the fire are scheduled to reopen to the public. That includes the Yadkin River sections, Ivy Bluffs and Bean Shoals access, and the Hauser Road parking area.

The fire is finally out, but some smoldering remains, so the mountain will stay closed a little longer. State park officials hope a good rain this weekend will allow them to reopen it and most hiking trails on Monday.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?