News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Holiday Fishing Traditions

Started by trout-r-us, November 23, 2021, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

As we enter the holiday season, it is natural for minds to drag up old memories from years gone by.
Some of my most fond personal memories include fishing trips with my dad and brothers. Late fall trips to the shore would target species like whiting, ling, cod, haddock, and mackerel that were made available to the masses by way of party boats sailing out of many ports along the Jersey shore.  Just as with any type of fishing, success rates varied, but with non-existent regulations, it was not uncommon to return to the dock with enough fish to fill the freezer for the winter.
Though Boat trips were fun, my favorite trips were shore bound/surf fishing ventures. Winter flounder fishing along the muck banks of backwater estuaries were enjoyable, but the grand prize at the time was the Striped Bass found in the ocean surf. Striper abundance was cyclical, but for the most part many hours were spent soaking bait all day and returning home with little to show in the way of fish. Of course, those dry spells made successful trips that much better. Fond memories.
Of course, since those days the Striped Bass has been introduced to many bodies of water including fresh water impoundments. Though purists may look down their noses at these artificial fisheries, I view them as an opportunity to continue family traditions.
My son and I visited such an impoundment yesterday way up the Roanoke River, and though our catch rate wasn't at a high level, hopefully we generated enough memories to jog my son's memory when he is my age.
Sometimes even when fishing is slow, one or two nice ones will spark that memory.
Here's hoping.
You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Yallerhammer

Quote from: trout-r-us on November 23, 2021, 08:45:32 AMAs we enter the holiday season, it is natural for minds to drag up old memories from years gone by.
Some of my most fond personal memories include fishing trips with my dad and brothers. Late fall trips to the shore would target species like whiting, ling, cod, haddock, and mackerel that were made available to the masses by way of party boats sailing out of many ports along the Jersey shore.  Just as with any type of fishing, success rates varied, but with non-existent regulations, it was not uncommon to return to the dock with enough fish to fill the freezer for the winter.
Though Boat trips were fun, my favorite trips were shore bound/surf fishing ventures. Winter flounder fishing along the muck banks of backwater estuaries were enjoyable, but the grand prize at the time was the Striped Bass found in the ocean surf. Striper abundance was cyclical, but for the most part many hours were spent soaking bait all day and returning home with little to show in the way of fish. Of course, those dry spells made successful trips that much better. Fond memories.
Of course, since those days the Striped Bass has been introduced to many bodies of water including fresh water impoundments. Though purists may look down their noses at these artificial fisheries, I view them as an opportunity to continue family traditions.
My son and I visited such an impoundment yesterday way up the Roanoke River, and though our catch rate wasn't at a high level, hopefully we generated enough memories to jog my son's memory when he is my age.
Sometimes even when fishing is slow, one or two nice ones will spark that memory.
Here's hoping.
You cannot view this attachment.
Nice one! I enjoy catching those freshwater stripers, and winter is usually the best time where I fish. They are a strong, hard-fighting fish, and also delicious on the table.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff