Is photography part of your fishing experience?

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 12, 2012, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you shoot photos/video as part of your fishing trips.

Yes, I shoot stills
13 (46.4%)
Yes, I shoot video
0 (0%)
Yes, I shoot video and stills
8 (28.6%)
No, I can't be bothered
2 (7.1%)
One time at band camp I took some pictures....
4 (14.3%)
I'm thinking about it...
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Woolly Bugger

I need to video my 'simple' catch, photo, release sequence so you guys can see how simple and quick it can be. :P
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

CR

Hello all, have not posted in some time after moving back to the Midwest but still try to stop in to check reports.

I think we all enjoy sharing what we do and photos + video help to tell the story. Fishing and photography tend to go hand in hand for me. For many including my father, fishing is usually just a relaxing way to get some filets (typically walleye) for a good meal, for me it allows something tangible for my efforts besides the temporary full belly. Plus the fish gets to live.

I will add for those joining the ranks if you are going to take the time to catch photo and post pics of fish, let the camera focus before you click and try to bring some quality!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Bugs are a diversion of mine is well- not just when fishing sucks either. Here no one fishes hatches for Smallies. I have found they eat bugs. Even nice fish bait dunkers would envy. We get great Iso Bicolor and Orange Body Cahill hatches with tons of nymphs present in the silt and gravel bottom flows.

Smallies are in the backyard- this is from last Monday when we had temps in the 50's before the snow, about ¾ mile from the house. Good for the soul.

For trout- here is a nicer brown from the closest trout fishery to me now, a shit Midwest tailwater with hostile locals an hour away. Now I was alone, with a small net I usually use for bass with me and opted to beach this fish on wet streamside gravel that was submerged during high water a few hours prior, to photos as opposed to risking dropping it or hurting it trying to subdue it one handed in the swift current. I had to run to land the large fish after it bailed out the tail of the pool into the run below where I was able to swing it down for the land. Went down on one knee to avoid falling in 3' of water and got pretty wet but it was totally worth it. Pics are a great reminder and help me tell the story to the kids (my daughter says its kype will give her nightmares).

Fish revived quickly and gave me a nice spray with a tail slap upon release

Plenty of 16"+ snakes as well.

usual fodder-

Deer/Pork sausage and veggies with a can of Octoberfest from the local canners. I am a fan of the cans for the microbrew stuff for freshness and heard rumors Bells of Oberon fame will go that way soon...

Just getting by.

Is there a higher mortality rate for photographed fish that are released? Maybe. There is a 100% mortality rate for creeled fish. I don't think you can feel bad at the end of the day if you revive any fish and give it a fair shot. More than otters, herons and bait dunkers will do...

Just my opinions- thanks.

CR

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

benben reincarnated

Nice pics CR.   'c;

Quote from: CR on January 14, 2012, 15:34:38 PM

Deer/Pork sausage and veggies with a can of Octoberfest from the local canners. I am a fan of the cans for the microbrew stuff for freshness and heard rumors Bells of Oberon fame will go that way soon...

Hope that pans out.  Bells can't make a bad beer.  I love their beer.  Hail to the Oberon, king of summer beers.   bd;0

sheepfly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 14, 2012, 10:51:51 AM
I need to video my 'simple' catch, photo, release sequence so you guys can see how simple and quick it can be. :P

that would be great.

sheepfly

nice pics CR. 

How much post production editing to you guys do? I might click the enhance feature in iphoto and crop if needed, but thats about it.

FoulHook

Sheepfly: I use Analog in conjunction with iPhoto - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/analog/id418343177?mt=12 (opens a appstore link if you've got os x lion). It's got quite a few nice effect presets that mess with colors and effects as well as some nice borders. Typically I import into iPhoto and use enhance/auto color correct, then send the image to analog to at minimum use analog's enhance feature, which makes the colors really pop on the wild trout most of the time.

Here's a couple that have been Analog'd

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

troutphisher

Nice stuff CR.

That stream looks familiar ;D.

I grew up in the Midwest and fished a lot of water in the four corners region, and some just west of Madison. Fished a lot of the trib waters of lake Michigan too. Also fished a few streams up Silvercreeks way in Northern Wisconsin.

For the most part, I don't shop photos other than "quick fix" if the lighting conditions are low, other then that they are straight off the camera.

I still use an old W30 optio.....I think Pentax is up to W90 or higher now?
The W30 at the time had the closest macro to object distance and was water proof, so I chose it.

If the situation presents itself, I like to get some under water shots.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.