Alec Baldwin discharges firearm on set

Started by Trout Maharishi, October 21, 2021, 22:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on October 25, 2021, 12:10:13 PMMy take, more details need to come out.  From what I've read it sounds like an unexperienced Master Armorer.  Reports (unverified) state she is 24 and was recently on a podcast talking about how unexperienced she was and uncomfortable taking a similar job for a movie and how she didn't even know how to load and unload some of the guns. 

From the details I gather, my best guess is staff took the gun out shooting one day that they weren't filming.  Someone didn't properly clear the gun.  The armorer didn't properly clear the gun.  The assistant armorer didn't properly check for a "cold" gun.  They gave it to Alec Baldwin and he shot someone. 

Should Baldwin of checked the firearm before firing it?  IDK.  My understanding is it is the armorer's responsibility to make sure the firearm is loaded or unloaded to proper requirements for the scene.  Now Baldwin as the director of the movie might have responsibility as it looks like there was a history of neglect with that film's safety that obviously was not properly addressed.  Several reports of firearm safety issues and staff walking out because of it. 

Whoever's responsibility it is, if I'm the one handling it, I'll rack a slide, work a bolt, or flip a cylinder. Especially if I'm supposed to be pointing it at people and pulling the trigger.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on October 25, 2021, 16:50:44 PMGets uglier and uglier every five minutes. Amateur hour.

Yeah — like Baldwin changing clothes and the person who removed the cartridge from the gun after the fact
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 25, 2021, 17:06:39 PMWhoever's responsibility it is, if I'm the one handling it, I'll rack a slide, work a bolt, or flip a cylinder. Especially if I'm supposed to be pointing it at people and pulling the trigger.

I can see that for a scene that has a gun that is supposed to be empty but that really should be an unnecessary step for an actor. Honestly most actors aren't smart enough to know the differences in loading and unloading each firearm they have to use. Also scenes involving blank rounds the actor would have to unload 15-50 rounds from the magazine depending on the firearm to confirm each round was a "blank". That is the whole reason why you have a armorer. Because the actor being responsible for weapons and the ammunition is not realistic. Most of these Hollywood types have never held a gun before or know the actions of them. [/quote]

Onslow

This tragedy is a result of people desiring to be entertained by amoral behavior and violence.

Woolly Bugger

The Santa Fe County Sheriff and the local district attorney are scheduled to speak about the case at a news conference on Wednesday. Rios said it would take time for authorities to draw conclusions about what happened.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on October 25, 2021, 15:22:37 PMhttps://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/baldwin-film-crew-spent-spare-time-target-shooting-with-prop-gun-before-incident/

(CNN)Crew members on the set of "Rust" used guns with live ammunition and engaged in a pastime called "plinking" hours before Halyna Hutchins was killed, founder and CEO of The Wrap, Sharon Waxman, told CNN's Don Lemon Monday night, citing information from an individual with knowledge of the set.
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 26, 2021, 23:35:59 PMGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Joy Behar and Trump should be deposited on a remote island never to be seen or heard again.  Perfect couple.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Onslow on October 27, 2021, 08:27:00 AM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 26, 2021, 23:35:59 PMGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Joy Behar and Trump should be deposited on a remote island never to be seen or heard again.  Perfect couple.

Only if you give them both guns and plenty of ammunition.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

the AD talked about checking the bullets and that they had holes in them to indicate dummy bullets....

I assume like these

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

but to inspect you would have to unload the gun and that apparently wasn't done

NY Post reports... appears to be all about Alec... maybe if he had been more aware of gun safety...

The Baldwin family is sweating out the results of the Santa Fe County Sheriff's investigation of the fatal shooting.

"There's going to be no answers until we hear the results of the investigation," she said. "We don't know what happened, and we have the same questions as everyone does. We want answers faster than anyone. We have to have respect for the process of the authorities.

"Alec has done movies with guns for 40 years. Nothing like this has ever happened. There should be zero probability of that ever happening."

I'll tell you what happened, he pulled the trigger

https://nypost.com/2021/10/30/hilaria-baldwin-fears-alec-will-develop-ptsd-after-halyna-hutchins-shooting/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'Rust' assistant director's on-set actions criticized in wake of Alec Baldwin shooting accident

>>>In a lengthy expose about the conditions in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where the movie was filming before it halted following the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a digital utility technician named Jonas Huerta admitted to feeling "anxious" on set because of Halls' alleged fast-moving pace.

"I also feel anxious on set, I've seen firsthand our [assistant director] rush to get shots and he skips over important protocols," Huerta wrote in his email to the LA Times.

The digital technician went on to claim that there were other instances prior to Alec Baldwin firing the gun that killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza that left him feeling uneasy on the Western-genre film set.

Speaking of Halls, Huerta said, "He often rushes to shoot, I've had more than a few occasions where I have been close to the weapons being fired with no regards to my hearing. Sometimes he rushes so quickly that props [department] hasn't even had the chance to bring earplugs and he rolls and the actors fire anyway."

read://https_www.msn.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2Fen-us%2Fentertainment%2Fentertainment-celebrity%2Frust-assistant-directors-on-set-actions-criticized-in-wake-of-alec-baldwin-shooting-accident%2Far-AAQe4yH%3Focid%3DBingNewsSearch

No wonder the crew walked off the set...  :wave

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The armorer on the set of "Rust" offered a chilling theory through her attorneys about what led to the accidental shooting death of Halyna Hutchins.

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed was one of four people who handled the weapon prior to Alec Baldwin firing it while rehearsing a scene for the indie-western. As a result, Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said that the investigation is largely focused on her as well as how a live round made its way to the set of the film at all.

Speaking on the "Today" show Wednesday Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence claim that the bullets their client loaded into the gun on the day of the shooting were taken from a box that was only supposed to contain dummy rounds that were incapable of firing. However, because the ammunition was left unattended from roughly 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. that day, they believe the opportunity was there for a disgruntled crew member to mix a live round into the box.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

It appears that almost all of the movie industry protocols on gun handling were not adhered to.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Alec Baldwin wasn't supposed to pull the trigger in 'Rust' scene that led to fatal shooting, lawsuit claims

>>>Alec Baldwin was not supposed to pull the trigger of the gun during the "Rust" scene that led to the fatal shooting, a lawsuit says.

"The scene did not call for Defendant Baldwin to shoot the Colt Revolver," the suit filed by Serge Svetnoy states.

Svetnoy was the chief electrician on the set of the indie Western movie.

Actor Alec Baldwin was not supposed to pull the trigger of the gun he was carrying in a rehearsal scene for the movie "Rust" that led to the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, a newly filed lawsuit against him claims.

Baldwin shot and killed Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza on October 21, while inside of a church building setting on the New Mexico set for the indie Western.

"The scene to be filmed called for Defendant Baldwin, who was seated in a pew, to reach across his chest, draw" a .45 long Colt revolver "from a shoulder holster, and point it in the general direction of the camera," according to the negligence lawsuit filed this week in Los Angeles by the film's chief electrician Serge Svetnoy.

The suit added, "The scene did not call for Defendant Baldwin to shoot the Colt Revolver, which should not have contained any live ammunition."

The lawsuit names Baldwin - who was starring in and producing the film - as well as assistant director Dave Halls and the movie's armorer Hannah Guitterez-Reed as defendants.

Lawyers for Svetnoy wrote in the lawsuit that as Baldwin "practiced his move for the scene," Svetnoy saw the gun "being pointed in his direction."

"Suddenly and completely unexpectedly, Plaintiff heard the loudest gunshot that he has ever experienced on a movie set," the suit states, explaining that Svetnoy "felt a strange and terrifying whoosh of what felt like pressurized air from his right."

"He felt what he believed was gunpowder and other residual materials from the gun directly strike the right side of his face and scratch the lenses of the eyeglasses he was wearing," the lawsuit says.

The revolver that Baldwin discharged was supposed to be loaded with dummy rounds, but live ammunition had been loaded into the weapon, authorities have said.

https://news.yahoo.com/alec-baldwin-wasnt-supposed-pull-224208577.html

Well this lawsuit has answered my question about the firing of the gun. I wondered why the trigger was pulled in a rehearsal and why it was pointed at the camera director.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/alec-baldwin-shooting-lawsuit-rust-gaffer-nearly-hit-by-a-bullet-claims-negligence/ar-AAQyPqA?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Alec is going down. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/coro7zkmvdy-123
me -There's a season?