Elk Creek bank Restoration volunteers needed

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 06, 2021, 19:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

BRTU Conservation Committee has been working to assist the Elk Creek bank restoration in Todd, NC and we are ready to take on some winter planting work!

January 8th we will be picking up 1000 live stakes 500 bare root saplings and will need many hands to get these installed.

Elk Creek contains wild mountain trout and also feeds the New River basin and has suffered significant bank erosion due to poor buffers and livestock access. There are other planned improvements such as floodplain work and livestock fencing but the plan to stabilize the banks is imperative to its success. This work will eventually lead to more cold water fishing and cleaner water for the Town of Todd.

Although this project is outside our Chapter area it is a cold water conservation project and it needs our help! This area does not have the resources that our chapter has so this is a great opportunity to help our neighboring cold water keepers.

This project is also close to many cold water streams so there may be some time to wet a line afterwards or spend an evening in nearby Boone or Blowing Rock.

We will have the plantings on site for Sat morning and will meet at 9:00 am at 166 Preacher Blackburn Road, Todd, NC. to start the work.

Some equipment will be provided but waders are recommended as well as your  favorite gloves and shovel.

We will supply a lunch and drinks on site.

This is in Jan so it will be cold and if the weather is bad we still need to push ahead as these plants are there and need installed. If the weather is nasty then we will work out another date.

Please let us know if you are planning to help so we will know how many volunteers to plan for.  Email Jimm Barbery at jbarbery@outlook.com
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!