Unlimited Nuclear Disaster Updates

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 16, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Don't Dismiss the Fury Over Fukushima's Water

More than 12 years after the disaster that closed Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the country will soon dispose of one of the most enduring legacies of the disaster.

Some 1.3 million metric tons of water, most of it used to cool the radioactive material at the core of the plant, will be filtered and cleaned up before being pumped slowly to sea once a 1-kilometer (0.6 mile) pipe is completed in the coming weeks. It may take decades to trickle out the water at a pace slow enough to keep radioactive concentrations at sufficiently low levels — but that hasn't prevented bitter opposition from some of Japan's Pacific neighbors.

"Continuing with ocean discharge plans at this time is simply inconceivable," Henry Puna, secretary general of the Pacific Islands Forum intergovernmental group, wrote earlier this year. "I fear that, if left unchecked, the region will once again be headed towards a major nuclear contamination disaster at the hands of others." China has also condemned the plan, while South Korean nuclear experts will be doing their own monitoring of radiation levels.

https://wapo.st/42ccDuX

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Senate votes to compensate Guam for radiation exposure

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RADIATION: Then-U.S. Army Sgt. Robert Celestial, left, with Spc. Ed Blas, during a six-month deployment in the Enewetak Atoll in the Marshall Islands, where Blas and Celestial were among military service members who cleaned up the site following the 1948 atomic bomb testing. Photo courtesy of Robert Celestial.

The Senate this week voted to compensate Guam residents sickened by exposure to radiation released during nuclear weapons testing in the Marshall Islands between 1946 and 1962.

Guam is included in an amendment to the national defense budget for fiscal 2024 that would massively expand coverage. Introduced by Sen. Josh Hawley, radiation survivors from Guam and several "downwinder" and uranium mining states previously excluded in the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act would be eligible for payouts.

Hawley, whose home state of Missouri is subject to nuclear contamination, told members of Congress that the federal government has been covering up the ill effects of radiation exposure for decades. Families and children have gotten sick and died as a result, he said.

https://www.postguam.com/news/senate-votes-to-compensate-guam-for-radiation-exposure/article_c47a85ea-2d29-11ee-976e-43bb0f3bfc48.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

What 'Oppenheimer' Doesn't Tell You About the Trinity Test

July is a hard month for a lot of us here in New Mexico, where thousands of people's lives were upended by the test of the world's first nuclear bomb. The events of July 16, 1945, weigh heavily on us. And why wouldn't they? They changed everything. The people of New Mexico were the first human test subjects of the world's most powerful weapon.

This July has been more tense than usual, as our community waited for the release of "Oppenheimer" — and some recognition of what we have endured over the last 78 years. When I watched the film at a packed screening in Santa Fe, I saw that wasn't to be. The three-hour movie tells only part of the story of the Manhattan Project, which developed the bomb, and conducted the test code-named Trinity that day in July. It does not explore in any depth the costs of deciding to test the bomb in a place where my family and many others had lived for generations.

NYT Editorial
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Trinity Nuclear Test's Fallout Reached 46 States, Canada and Mexico, Study Finds
The research shows that the first atomic bomb explosion's effects had been underestimated, and could help more "downwinders" press for federal compensation.

In July 1945, as J. Robert Oppenheimer and the other researchers of the Manhattan Project prepared to test their brand-new atomic bomb in a New Mexico desert, they knew relatively little about how that mega-weapon would behave.

On July 16, when the plutonium-implosion device was set off atop a hundred-foot metal tower in a test code-named "Trinity," the resultant blast was much stronger than anticipated. The irradiated mushroom cloud also went many times higher into the atmosphere than expected: some 50,000 to 70,000 feet. Where it would ultimately go was anyone's guess.

A new study, released on Thursday ahead of submission to a scientific journal for peer review, shows that the cloud and its fallout went farther than anyone in the Manhattan Project had imagined in 1945. Using state-of-the-art modeling software and recently uncovered historical weather data, the study's authors say that radioactive fallout from the Trinity test reached 46 states, Canada and Mexico within 10 days of detonation.

"It's a huge finding and, at the same time, it shouldn't surprise anyone," said the study's lead author, Sébastien Philippe, a researcher and scientist at Princeton University's Program on Science and Global Security.

A map depicting composite deposition of radioactive material across the contiguous U.S. from the Trinity test in New Mexico and from 93 atmospheric tests in Nevada.Credit...Sébastien Philippe, Susan Alzner, Gilbert P. Compo, Mason Grimshaw, Megan Smith

Full NYT Article
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fukushima's wastewater release
A visual explanation

Japan's largest power company, Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc (Tepco), is set to dump into the ocean some 1.37 million cubic metres of treated water stored in more than 1,000 tanks after the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident. The filtering process was able to remove almost all the radioactive agents, but the discharge, which will take about three decades to be completed, has raised concerns in the region.

The move has been approved by the United Nation's nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), but China's authorities have said issues remain, such as over the "hasty" release of the safety report, reliability of the purification equipment and the monitoring plan. Hong Kong is seeking to protect its residents by suspending imports of food products from prefectures near the release site.

https://multimedia.scmp.com/infographics/news/world/article/3229136/fukushima-nuclear-plant/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Marshall Island's leaders are calling for a better response from the US to ongoing health and environmental problems caused by historical nuclear tests on Bikini and Enewetak atolls.

An eleventh-hour appeal for more nuclear test compensation by Marshall Islands leaders fell flat in the United States Congress in July.

However, the Marshallese government is upping the pressure as it negotiates with the US on its Compact of Free Association.

Marshall Islands journalist Giff Johnson said the government would likely accept what they were given, but he did not expect residents to be satisfied.

"Marshall Islanders,  they're used to it by now - the US minimising, reducing and trying to distance itself from the nuclear test legacy," he said

Listen to the Podcast here:
https://www.abc.net.au/pacific/programs/pacificbeat/marshall-islands-ups-pressure-for-more-nuclear-compensation-/102676932?utm_campaign=abc_pacific&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_pacific
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Maintenance projects on Marshall Islands get federal funding boost

The U.S. Department of Interior announced Tuesday that it will provide more than $5.2 million to support programs and projects in the Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Runit Dome is a containment structure on Runit Island, located on Enewetak Atoll. Enewetak Atoll is a former U.S. atmospheric nuclear weapons test site located in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, approximately 2,300 miles west of Hawaiʻi in the northwest Pacific Ocean.

An additional $2 million in Technical Assistance Program funding will aid in monitoring the groundwater surrounding the Runit Dome in Enewetak Atoll.

The concrete dome, built in the Marshall Islands decades ago by the U.S. government, is a relic of America's nuclear past.

In the 1940s and 50s, the U.S. conducted 67 nuclear tests in Bikini and Enewetak Atolls. The U.S. used the saucer-shaped dome to dump nuclear waste, but concerns by Marshallese residents were raised for years about the dome's condition.

The funding will go to the U.S. Department of Energy to conduct periodic radiochemical analysis of the area surrounding Runit Dome as required by the 2011 Insular Areas Act.

Runit Dome is a containment structure on Runit Island, located on Enewetak Atoll. Enewetak Atoll is a former U.S. atmospheric nuclear weapons test site located in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, approximately 2,300 miles west of Hawaiʻi in the northwest Pacific Ocean.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/local-news/2023-08-02/maintenance-projects-on-marshall-islands-get-federal-funding-boost
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

How Have Nuclear Weapons Evolved Since Oppenheimer and the Trinity Test?

It took the Manhattan project three years to develop a nuclear bomb: and only weeks between the first nuclear test explosion and the use of a nuclear weapon in war. Almost 80 years later – how have nuclear weapons evolved?

A brief history of nuclear testing

In 1945, the United States dropped two atomic bombs on Japan. The first bomb, codenamed "Little Boy" was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.Three days later, the US dropped the second bomb, "Fat Man," on Nagasaki. The two bombs, each with an estimated yield of around 15 and 21 kilotons (15,000 and 21,000 tons of TNT equivalent), respectively, caused widespread destruction, resulting in the loss of more than 100,000 lives. 

After the war, the US conducted atmospheric nuclear tests in the Pacific Proving Grounds in the Marshall Islands and in Nevada and many more underground. The Soviet Union, Great Britain, France, China, India, Pakistan, and North Korea tested nuclear weapons of their own. Since the first development of nuclear weapons, the total number of nuclear tests exceeds 2,000, with 528 tests conducted above ground. These above ground tests had a destructive force of more than 400,000 kilotons TNT. The tests provided the information to increase the sophistication of nuclear weapons designs. But the nuclear tests, and particularly the atmospheric tests, were enormously destructive to the land and communities that were exposed to their explosive power and radiation.

Timeline of Nuclear Weapon Testing

https://blog.ucsusa.org/sulgiye-park/how-have-nuclear-weapons-evolved-since-oppenheimer-and-the-trinity-test/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fears rise over Japan's upcoming release of Fukushima nuclear wastewater

Japan could soon start releasing treated wastewater from the Fukushima nuclear power plant into the ocean. They're running out of space to store the radiation-tainted water at the plant, which was damaged by the devastating 2011 earthquake and tsunami, but both locals and neighboring countries worry about the effect on their health and livelihoods. Special correspondent Rebecca Bundhun reports.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/fears-rise-over-japans-upcoming-release-of-fukushima-nuclear-wastewater

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Wild mushrooms still radioactive 37 years after Chernobyl

Edible mushrooms growing wild in southern Germany can still be contaminated with radioactive cesium 37 years after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. The Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS) announced on Thursday that the Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS) responded to an epd request. These regions of Germany were particularly affected by the radioactive fallout from the reactor accident in 1986. A small proportion of the radiation comes from the above-ground nuclear weapons tests of the 1950s and 1960s.

Values ��of more than 1,000 becquerels per kilogram have been found in stubble mushrooms, various types of snails, yellow-stemmed trumpet chanterelles, common red-footed boletus, chestnut boletus or goat's lips, said BfS spokeswoman Anja Lutz. According to their statements, only very slightly contaminated were, among other things, bleeding wood mushroom, blood-red felt boletus, brown giant vaginal stripe, brown-red leather russula, brown-scaled giant mushroom, wrinkled inkling, hare boletus and honey-yellow honey fungus.

https://www.breakinglatest.news/news/wild-mushrooms-still-radioactive-37-years-after-chernobyl/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Mayak: The secret nuclear power plant that poisoned Russians for decades
In many ways, it was worse than Chernobyl.

Mayak: The secret nuclear power plant that poisoned Russians for decades on LinkedIn
Modern nuclear power plants strictly contain radioactive material from the outside world. A magnitude 9.1 earthquake followed by a giant tsunami is required to overcome even a flawed backup system, like the one at Fukushima. The real safety threat occurs when dishonest or negligent governments operate plants under desperate circumstances. A secret Russian site called Mayak is a monument to the dangers of nuclear power held in the wrong hands.

Dumping radioactive waste — on purpose
In the late 1940s, the USSR lagged far behind America in the nuclear arms race, and horrific practices were accepted in the scramble to catch up. The secret Mayak nuclear plant, located in the Chelyabinsk Oblast near the Ural Mountains, was hurriedly constructed by gulag prison camp laborers to produce material for weapons.

https://bigthink.com/the-past/mayak-secret-nuclear-plant-poisoned-russians-decades/
me -There's a season?