Unlimited Nuclear Disaster Updates

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 16, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

'Atoms and Ashes,' a Frightening Tour of Six Nuclear Accidents
Serhii Plokhy writes about Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and other disasters, and about the common impulse among governments "to hide information and, later, to spin or distort it."

>>>On Oct. 8, 1957, a Soviet newspaper reported that residents of Cheliabinsk, a city near the Ural Mountains, had spotted an
"intensive luminescence, sometimes changing to pale pink and pale blue," along the horizon. Cheliabinsk was located too far south to have had much experience with the aurora borealis, but the newspaper told its readers they happened to be seeing just that — a rare and gorgeous treat. "The Northern Lights," the article concluded, "will remain visible in the Southern Ural latitudes."

What readers were seeing would indeed remain visible, but the rest of the sentence was a lie. Those "Northern Lights" were in fact billions of irradiated particles that had been released into the air when a plutonium production plant exploded in nearby Kyshtym. It's just one of many obfuscations, deceptions and outright fabrications recounted by Serhii Plokhy in "Atoms and Ashes," his frightening new history of nuclear disasters across the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/18/books/review-atoms-ashes-nuclear-disasters-serhii-plokhy.html

"Atoms and Ashes" recounts six accidents in detail, the first three connected to "atoms for war" (bomb-making) and the last three connected to "atoms for peace" (energy production). There's the radioactive fallout after the Castle Bravo nuclear test of 1954, when the United States tested a hydrogen bomb at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands; the explosion at Kyshtym, in 1957; the Windscale fire in Britain, also in 1957; the partial meltdown at Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island, in 1979; the meltdown in Chernobyl, in 1986; and the Fukushima disaster in Japan, in 2011.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

€100m needed for Chernobyl invasion repairs

>>>€100m (US$107m) is needed for repairs at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant following the Russian military's occupation of the stricken facility.

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has said it needs international donors to help after the military dug trenches disturbing the contaminated topsoil, stole the site's firefighting vehicles, removed IT equipment needed for safe operations, and damaged roads to the facility. It says the site is now only reachable by boat.

During Russia's occupation of the site from 24 February until 31 March, staff rotation was limited, maintenance and repair activities were prevented, radiation monitoring systems stopped working, and safeguard monitoring systems stopped transmitting. The site also lost power briefly and had to rely on diesel generators. A mission of nuclear experts led by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived at the site on the 26 April – the 36th anniversary of the plant's meltdown – to help personnel begin to make the plant safe again. 

"Thanks to the heroic efforts of Chernobyl Nuclear Power plant personnel, we did not lose control over nuclear materials and radiological waste," said Valerii Seyda, Acting Head of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. He was speaking in a video posted by the EBRD on 18 May that shows the damage inflicted on the site. "The damage is so blatant that without the support of the international community, we will be unable to return to the pre-war status quo for a disastrously long time."

https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/100m-needed-for-chernobyl-invasion-repairs/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

USA-based engineering group Jacobs has designed and built a remotely-operated robotic tool to investigate debris in a damaged reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The device will collect pebble-like debris that was deposited at the bottom of the reactor containment vessel following the meltdown caused by the earthquake and tsunami in March 2011. The exact nature of the debris is currently unknown, and examination of the retrieved debris samples will provide crucial data for the next steps in the clean-up and decommissioning of the damaged reactors on the site.

A prototype of the device has passed factory acceptance and performance tests to meet the requirements of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI), which is leading the project to develop the tool. It is expected that, following selection in Japan, a radiation resistant version will be built that will be able to carry out the task of retrieving samples from the highly-contaminated reactor.

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Jacobs-develops-robot-for-Fukushima-debris-samplin
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Six hundred ninety-eight computers. 344 vehicles. 1,500 radiation dosimeters. Irreplaceable software. Almost every piece of firefighting equipment.
The list of what Russia's occupying forces stole, blew up or riddled with bullets in and around Chernobyl's laboratories is still being compiled

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/02/ukraine-chernobyl-damage-done-by-russians/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Russian forces left piles of excrement in every office of the Chernobyl nuclear plant before they retreated, Ukrainian workers say

- Russian forces began their withdrawal from the 1986 Chernobyl disaster site in March.

- But Ukrainian workers are now discovering what they left behind — including human feces.

- "The poop was the icing on the cake," the deputy director of the Chernobyl Ecocenter, said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-forces-left-excrement-chernobyl-nuclear-plant-retreated-ukrainian-workers-2022-6

First look inside Chernobyl nuclear plant trashed by Russian troops

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/01/first-look-inside-chernobyl-nuclear-plant-trashed-by-russian-troops-16751827/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'Russian soldiers who were at Chernobyl have a year to live at most'
A Ukrainian Minister has claimed that the Russian troops who were posted at Chernobyl nuclear power plant were exposed to high levels of radiation due to which they have at the most a year to live

>>>A Ukrainian Minister has claimed that the Russian troops who were posted at the Exclusion Zone of the now-defunct Chernobyl nuclear power plant were exposed to high levels of radiation due to which they have at the most a year to live.

Chernobyl, the site of the world's worst nuclear accident, fell to the Russian troops on the first day of Moscow's invasion on February 24. On April 5, National Guard of Ukraine seized it and took control of the facility after the troops fully evacuated the premises on March 31.

Speaking to the local media on Friday, Ukraine's Energy Minister Herman Galushchenko said that not only were the troops exposed to the radiation, but their military equipment has also been contaminated.

"The Russian soldiers' ignorance went as far off the scale as the dosimeters we used to check the background radiation in the places where the invaders were deployed," Ukrayinska Pravda quoted Galushchenko as saying

https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/international/russian-soldiers-who-were-at-chernobyl-have-a-year-to-live-at-most
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Fukushima nuclear plant executives appeal against $138 billion verdict for nuclear disaster

Key points:
[] The court ordered four ex-bosses of TEPCO to pay 13 trillion yen
[] The court sided with their claim they failed to listen to research and carry out preventative measures
[] The plaintiffs appealed the decision because it did not order damages from the fifth executive

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-28/fukushima-nuclear-plant-executives-appeal-138-billion-verdict/101279710
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Zaporizhzhia: Real risk of nuclear disaster in Ukraine - watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62449982
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The US has lost at least three nuclear bombs that have never been located – they're still out there to this day. How did this happen? Where could they be? And will we ever find them?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220804-the-lost-nuclear-bombs-that-no-one-can-find?ocid=ww.social.link.email

Sent from my iPhone
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

August 6 marks the 77th anniversary of the tragic incident of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings in 1945, during the end of World War 2. The catastrophic event, which claimed the lives of more than 1,40,000 people and more after years due to radiation effect, still continues to affect the lives of natives, both mentally as well as physically. Hiroshima Day is observed to remember those who got killed and to promote world peace and create awareness against the use of nuclear weapons.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/hiroshima-day-remembering-the-lost-in-nuke-catastrophe-and-understanding-the-world-war-ii/ar-AA10qLMr
me -There's a season?