Unlimited Nuclear Disaster Updates

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 16, 2021, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on November 13, 2021, 00:40:55 AMIt's been 10 years since the accident and they are saying in 20 years it will be at it's half life. Will Cesium-137 at 50% strength of it original state still kill you 20 years from now or just give you leukemia or some crap like that?
http://www.actforlibraries.org/understanding-the-half-life-of-cesium-137/

don't worry I ain't going there...  <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I would love to go back to Japan, just not there :cheers
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Tepco finds melting of ice wall at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi plant

TOKYO, Nov 26 (Reuters) - Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) (9501.T) will launch remedial works at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant to strengthen an ice wall intended to halt the flow of groundwater after testing indicated partial melting.

The work could begin as early as the start of December, according to a presentation from the plant operator dated Thursday, part of a costly and troubled effort to secure the site following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/ice-wall-japans-fukushima-nuclear-plant-may-have-partially-melted-nhk-2021-11-26/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Robots to probe Fukushima No.1 reactor

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>NHK has learned that the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant plans to start a delayed robot survey of a damaged reactor from mid-January.

Officials of Tokyo Electric Power Company say preparations are well under way to send submersible robots inside the containment vessel of the No.1 reactor.

The probe is part of efforts to remove molten fuel debris from the reactor that suffered a meltdown accident due to the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

The utility originally planned to start the robot survey of the reactor in 2019.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20211125_22/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

While Germany is deciding to keep #nuclear power out of its #energy mix, other countries have been abuzz with plans for a new technology called small modular reactors. Even the UK, which has itself been phasing out nuclear, has invested in them. In this week's #Tech24, Peter O'Brien takes a look at how they could be quicker and cheaper to deploy than traditional nuclear plants.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>On August26,  2021, the Japanese Cabinet passed a bill to discharge treated Fukushima nuclear accident contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean to alleviate the problem of nuclear wastewater storage. However, large amounts of radionuclides can affect marine biological chains when inhaled by marine life and adversely influence marine fisheries and human health. The global effects of Fukushima discharge, which will last 30-40 years, remain unknown. Thus, identifying the diffusion process of radioactive water in oceans is critical.

To solve this problem, a team from Tsinghua University, China, developed analysis models from both macroscopic and microscopic perspectives, to simulate the diffusing process of the nuclear elements. The former one focuses on the overall distribution of pollutants, while the latter focuses on the behavior of individual pollutants.

Macro simulation results (Figure b) revealed that in the early stages of pollutant discharge, the polluted area increases rapidly, reaching 30° of latitude × 40° of longitude within 120 days. Due to ocean currents, the pollutant diffusion speed is considerably higher in the latitude direction than that in the longitude direction.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The secret world of nukes in Washington state

>>>Beneath the still waters of Puget Sound, submarines loaded with nukes patrol the Kitsap Peninsula and beyond.

Farther east, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord on Interstate 5 near Tacoma, is the only U.S. military unit to call for transportation of nuclear weapons by air.

Even farther east, in Richland, is the Hanford Site, historically the nation's biggest producer of plutonium for nuclear weapons.

Washington state has been home to nuclear weapons-related projects for decades — some well-known, others shrouded in secrecy. These projects have contributed to a robust nuclear presence in the military, a booming nuke industry — and death and injury to hundreds of thousands of people in Washington state and across the Pacific.

Washington "has been at all levels a cornerstone of the U.S. nuclear enterprise," said Hans Kristensen, director of the Federation of American Scientists' Nuclear Information Project.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.kuow.org/stories/the-secret-history-of-nukes-in-washington-state

me -There's a season?

Onslow

A person in the know tells me the backbone of the SE power supply will be mini nucs in 15 to 20 as coal is phased out

trout-r-us

As fishing consumed much of my time at a young age, I recall the excitement in the local Philadelphia fishing community anticipating the opening of Oyster Creek Nuclear Plant in Jersey around 1970. Stories were circulating with promises of tremendous fishing extending into the winter months as warm water discharge would not only attract local species to hold over, but also would attract exotic species to migrate and take up residence, e.g. Tarpon and Snook.
We made a few uneventful trips to the area over the next couple years, and results were such that I couldn't say whether there was a positive impact from the warm water, although I can report that I never saw a Snook or Tarpon in the area. 🤣 Maybe it took a little longer than originally anticipated.
A job move took me further from that facility and I never returned, but my new location was closer to the Three Mile Island Facility on the Susquehanna River that was opening around the time of my move. I never did make it over to that area, and moved to North Carolina about a year prior to their accident.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on December 11, 2021, 09:51:49 AMI never did make it over to that area, and moved to North Carolina about a year prior to their accident.

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

For several years after TMI I recall discussions suggesting the contaminated area was producing 10 lb tomatoes, 500 lb watermelons, etc. Most folks laughed it off, but there were enough believers around to make it interesting.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/warped-plants-inspire-local-womans-decades-long-effort-to-examine-effects-of-tmi-nuclear-accident/article_44cb65b6-ebff-11eb-9cbd-f30ade0e900f.html
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Here is a look back to Britian's first nuclear disaster...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Japan's nuclear regulators have released a video which captured an emergency system that was used to cool a reactor at an initial stage of the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in March 2011.

The Nuclear Regulation Authority investigated on November 26 a building which houses the No.1 reactor. It suffered a meltdown accident and a hydrogen explosion following a major earthquake and tsunami.

The video shows concrete and metal pieces covering a floor in the building.

Two orange colored tanks can be seen on the fourth floor. They are part of an isolation condenser system, which was used to cool the reactor at the early stages of the accident.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Revolutionary Technology Neutralizes Radioactivity Around Chernobyl by 47% – Using Only the Processes of Earth

As they committed to doing last April, on the occasion of the 35th commemoration of the Chernobyl accident, the Swiss-based company Exlterra has reported spectacular results after one year of decontamination on a 2.5 acre plot of land (1 hectare), located in the radioactive exclusion zone around the plant in Ukraine.

Exlterra announced last month that radioactive pollution in the soil decreased by 47%, and in the air above the ground by an average of 37%, one year after the installation of its NSPS technology (Nucleus Separation Passive System).

The company believes total remediation of the area is "seriously conceivable within four years"—without moving any earth or using any chemicals.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/revolutionary-technology-has-neutralized-radioactivity-around-chernobyl-using-only-the-processes-of-earth/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?