Rooftop fly rod carriers

Started by troutboy_II, August 31, 2021, 09:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutboy_II

I looked for past discussions on this, but to no avail (for some of you and you know who you are, it means I couldn't find anything... -+; ).

Thinking about biting the bullet and buying one of these things to strap on the CR-V.  Old joints and older sleep habits (don't jump out of bed at 4:30 to hit the road any more) lead to gearing up the night before.  While we can get by with rear seats down and some technical wedging between bags, wader, boots, etc., most of our travel is on not so great FS roads and things get jostled and we have come close to "issues" with the rods in the past.  So maybe a roof top carrier is in order.

Looking for quality (US produced if possible); lockable and tough to break into; will fit CR-V (already have standard roof racks with factory cross bars; will deal with upward swinging rear door, and whatever else y'all think is important.

Looked on the Google and the Amazon and there are a bunch, so I need coaching.  Not sure I want to spend a bunch of $$, but maybe...

Besides, figured y'all needed something else to talk about other than politics.  p;-

Peace.

TB

When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

I keep my rods strung up inside my CR-V.

I used foam tape to stick the top part of this rod track to the cross bar of the back space cover.

and I put this little unit on the head read of the driver's seat.

Granted they are visible in the parked car and just a smashed window away from being stolen, but it works for me...

9' rods go in no problem but the 10.5' euro fits better at an angle

You cannot view this attachment.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

Yeah. that's sorta what we have done as one of our options.  Also used one side of Velcro tape against the carpet, which was ok too.

Thanks for showing me what you did.  Might be a better solutions than what we have been doing, but rooftop carrier is intriguing except for price.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Beetle

My Winston BIIx was destroyed when the back of the rooftop carrier it was in became unhinged and it slid out.    I should have known better.    A bungy cord was involved.   User error.   We backtracked about five miles on a gravel road to find it.     As we were appproached, some old lady drove over it at 40 mph.     

All this aside, I believe they are an excellent option (if used correctly).

Trout Maharishi

I'm just trying to visualize what a roof top carrier will look like on your vehicle. :laugh:  :P
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski