News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dan river rescue

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 05, 2013, 02:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

http://m.digtriad.com/localstate/article?a=290059&f=717

QuoteThe company the tubers were using, Dan Rivers Adventures released a statement about the incident: "We made a judgment call based on our observation of the river conditions at 7:00 a.m. As soon as management found out that the river conditions changed dramatically without apparent reason, we cancelled all remaining trips. Customer safety is of utmost importance to us and we would never intentionally put anybody in an unsafe situation."

I don't know, maybe it was all the RAIN!

Don't these outfits look at the upstream gauges??

Those Madison rescue people are top notch, the outfitters not so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

http://myfox8.com/2013/07/04/14-rescued-from-dan-river/

Another look at the rescue, why anybody would get into a swollen river like that is beyond reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

I don't know what to think about this lawsuit. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, and in the case of tubing or any other activity on a river, you should know where you are going! Just a little research, planning,  looking at maps, asking questions, would have saved lives.

Not that I like dams... and removal or mitigation of these low head dams is the way to go...

QuoteFamily sues Duke Energy over fatal tubing excursion on Dan River
Tags: water rescue, Dan River, Duke Energy, lawsuit

By Matthew Burns, WRAL.com senior producer/politics editor, & Bryan Mims, WRAL reporter

MERRILLVILLE, IND. — A family that lost five members in a June tubing excursion in North Carolina is suing Duke Energy, demanding that the utility remove or make safety improvements to the dam that caused the five people to drown.

"This family certainly would never have gone tubing had they had the slightest idea they were going to come across this dam, this deadly drowning machine," attorney Kenneth Allen said Thursday.

It's not like Duke put the dam up overnight!

Attorney explains the deadly nature of low head dams...

https://www.wral.com/family-sues-duke-energy-over-fatal-tubing-excursion-on-dan-river/19855583/

Example of Low Head Dam mitigation...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Their deaths were a tragic accident, but drag a $20 bill through a trailor park.......
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski