News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

FRED!

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 17, 2021, 16:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Updated list of open and closed areas/roads in the Pisgah Ranger District. Please heed all signs, warnings and closures.

OPEN Developed Recreation Areas:

Pisgah Visitor Center
Davidson River Campground
North Mills River Campground
Lake Powhatan Campground
Sunburst Campground
Wash Creek Horse Campground
Kuykendall Group Campground
Coontree Picnic Area (restrooms closed)
Pink Beds Picnic Area

CLOSED Developed Recreation Areas:

Sycamore Flats Picnic Area
Sliding Rock
Wolf Ford Horse Campground
Cove Creek Group Campground
Cradle of Forestry (Reopens Wednesday, August 25th)

CLOSED Roads:

Davidson River Road (FS 475) – Multiple slides, long term closure anticipated.
Courthouse Creek Road (FS 140) – Multiple slides, long term closure anticipated.
Yellow Gap Road (FS 1206)
Pilot Mountain Road (FS 229)
Avery Creek Road (FS 477)
Headwaters Road (FS 475B)
Bent Creek (FS 479)
Wash Creek (FS 5000)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

West Fork Pigeon, Beetree Creek, North Fork Swannanoa, South Toe all reached rates of flow of 300 cfs/per square mile of watershed. I'm surprised there are no reports of damage in the South Toe watershed.

greg

I think I saw where black mountain campground and Carolina hemlock are closed. They must have had a fair amount of damage.

Woolly Bugger

Update 4 dead, 5 missing

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Stone-Man

Thursday night we had a flash flood in  a part of Stoney Creek that tore out bridges and deposited thousands of rocks on the roads and wrecked several houses. A mile away there was only a little rain and zero damage

JT

Woolly Bugger

N.C. Department of Transportation says 23 bridges were closed in western North Carolina on Friday because of the flooding.
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

A few years back I knew a kid that was studying to become an engineer. He got a summer job with DOT inspecting bridges in WNC. OMG you should have heard some of the stories he told me :o We drive over stuff every day we assume is safe. b';
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Sedition and Pockets

Quote from: Onslow on August 21, 2021, 07:59:35 AMWest Fork Pigeon, Beetree Creek, North Fork Swannanoa, South Toe all reached rates of flow of 300 cfs/per square mile of watershed. I'm surprised there are no reports of damage in the South Toe watershed.

There's very little low lying development in the South Toe watershed.  It flows through 1 golf course, a couple campgrounds, and a whole lotta bupkiss.

Sedition and Pockets

This was the first time I've ever been grateful for those stupid fucking Duke Power lakes on the Tuck forks.  They drew the lakes down ahead of the storm, otherwise Cullowhee/Sylva, Dillboro and Bryson City would all have ended up like Canton.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 19, 2021, 18:21:53 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 19, 2021, 18:08:05 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 19, 2021, 18:00:30 PMThat section that's closed is from Cruso to Brevard. It's a winding 2 lane goat path and I imagine it's wiped out in many places. Gonna be a long drive for someone to get around that section. No access to the Blue Ridge Parkway in either direction for miles either.
I heard the triple arch bride on 215 had heavy damage, too.

Oh no :'( That one is a beauty. I've seen photos of some of the bridges on the Davidson. They aren't safe and I'm sure they will be closed for a long time. All the forest service roads are closed over that way. The last time FS275 was damaged it took 3 or 4 years to open. The bridge at the hatchery looks like it's toast. The last time that was wipped out it took 3 years to replace it. I've never seen damage like this. I'm sure the US Forest Service doesn't have money to replace them.

The bridge is fucked. 

https://wlos.com/news/local/floodwaters-damage-historic-bridge-near-blue-ridge-parkway

hcrum87hc

Quote from: benben reincarnated on August 23, 2021, 07:11:18 AM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 19, 2021, 18:21:53 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 19, 2021, 18:08:05 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 19, 2021, 18:00:30 PMThat section that's closed is from Cruso to Brevard. It's a winding 2 lane goat path and I imagine it's wiped out in many places. Gonna be a long drive for someone to get around that section. No access to the Blue Ridge Parkway in either direction for miles either.
I heard the triple arch bride on 215 had heavy damage, too.

Oh no :'( That one is a beauty. I've seen photos of some of the bridges on the Davidson. They aren't safe and I'm sure they will be closed for a long time. All the forest service roads are closed over that way. The last time FS275 was damaged it took 3 or 4 years to open. The bridge at the hatchery looks like it's toast. The last time that was wipped out it took 3 years to replace it. I've never seen damage like this. I'm sure the US Forest Service doesn't have money to replace them.

The bridge is fucked. 

The one in the article is not the triple arch, which is farther upstream and just downstream to where Flat Laurel comes in.  From what I can see in a brief glance at the article's pictures, the stone bridge structure itself may be ok, but the pavement and embankments are going to need some major work.

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 22, 2021, 20:03:28 PMA few years back I knew a kid that was studying to become an engineer. He got a summer job with DOT inspecting bridges in WNC. OMG you should have heard some of the stories he told me :o We drive over stuff ever day we assume is safe. b';

I'm the stormwater engineer for my county's roads and bridges dept.  I'm no structural engineer by any means, but I agree with this statement 100%.  I've seen bridges with holes through some of the steel supports and bridges with rotted out timber supports.
Jeremiah 17:7

troutboy_II

Ok, I am confused, perhaps more than normal. Where is 215 closed again?

Thanks.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?