News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Kabul has fallen

Started by Trout Maharishi, August 15, 2021, 19:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

That's water under the bridge to me. I know I can be an aggravating sob to. I'm sure I played a part in that exchange, beside I didn't think you could see straight enough to hit me even if you shot at me during those days. :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Phil

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 30, 2021, 17:12:43 PMbeside I didn't think you could see straight enough to hit me even if you shot at me during those days.

You might have lost that bet. :laugh: I'm sure glad it didn't come to that.
Back when I was drunk and new to internet fora and the insults "keyboard warriors" like to "anonymously" toss out, I tended to take that shit seriously. Now, it's like the saying goes; Mind over matter -- I don't mind cause it don't matter.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Beetle on August 30, 2021, 16:32:33 PMTrump's a douche.  Biden's an idiot. 

If anyone cares to debate this, please feel free to do so.   

We need real leadership in this country.  Like them or not, Obama and GW Bush proved their merit as leaders.    I'd take either at this point.   

'c;  'c;  'c;  'c;  'c;

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Beetle on August 30, 2021, 16:32:33 PMTrump's a douche.  Biden's an idiot. 

We need real leadership in this country.  Like them or not, Obama and GW Bush proved their merit as leaders.    I'd take either at this point.   
I don't know Mr Green Jeans, I wasn't crazy about George either. He got me into a mess in 07-08 that it took a couple of years to work out of.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

Based on my latest refinance, I believe that problem has been corrected.    Or has it?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 30, 2021, 20:56:22 PM

I don't know Mr Green Jeans, I wasn't crazy about George either. He got me into a finical mess in 07-08 that it took a couple of years to work out of.

George didn't hold a gun to anyones head and make them sign their sub prime loans. We are frivolous creatures who were coerced into thinking it was a good deal.

Al

Back to the original topic -  last flight out was this afternoon. Several hundred Americans and thousands of Afghanistan who helped us over the past 20 years are now on their own. Only time will tell and I'm not even sure if we will know because most of the media have also left.

Trout Maharishi

I didn't get a sub prime loan, my shit was paid for. I was building the hell out of houses and had been living large. All of a sudden I had a dozen houses in inventory I couldn't sell.  :o The only thing that saved me was I was borrowing a minimal about of construction money. The problem started the next year when my income dipped because the market was dead and now I needed to borrow money. Those guys at the bank that I had been drinking beer with and playing golf didn't want to return my phone calls. Fuck'em they went out of business any way (Wachovia) Sub prime was only part of the problem. I knew when a couple of loan processors started telling me about NO VERIFY loans we were in deep do-do. People walking in off of the streets lying about their income and buying half million dollar (that was a lot of money then) homes that they couldn't affort to pay the taxes on. About the time the guy who cleaned homes for me showed me the 3rd or 4th investment property he bought that were nicer than the home I was living in. I knew this house of cards was gettig ready to tumble. Remember the stock market crashed, banks failed, car manufactures went broke, and had it not been for some serious intervention and slight of hand by the government it would have gone broke. There's a show on Netflicks about it all. We were within a matter of days of all being broke and it was going to make 29 look like a holiday. Incompetent leadership at HUD, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac all contributed. The push to make loans to minorities that would never had been made if they were white should a big part. Even now, yea you can get a great rate on a loan, but you are getting killed on the price. Prices have almost doubled in parts of the country and the avilibality is as scarce as I have ever seen it in my life time. The Fed printing money and buying bonds at the artificially deflated value can't continue. I know Beetle has expertise in this area, I'd be interested in you input Mr Green Jeans. Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong? Do I blame this all on George, heck no. But like so many presidents it's not just what you do, it's what the people you surround yourself with do. We keep recycling the same crooks from one administration to the next.
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Al on August 30, 2021, 21:54:03 PMBack to the original topic -  last flight out was this afternoon. Several hundred Americans and thousands of Afghanistan who helped us over the past 20 years are now on their own. Only time will tell and I'm not even sure if we will know because most of the media have also left.

Al, I am hopeful after talking to a state dept friend this afternoon and hearing about the many groups of people who are doing what the government agencies couldn't or wouldn't do. Many Afghans and Americans are getting out with their help. https://www.operationrecovery.org
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Where empires go to die.
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Richard Drew on photographing the "Falling Man" on 9/11

After almost six decades as a photographer, Richard Drew has learned a basic rule: "That you can be two hours early, but you can't be a 60th-of-a-second late. In other words, if you're not there when it happens, you can't take a picture of it."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/richard-drew-on-photographing-the-falling-man-on-9-11/ar-AAO7yy3?ocid=msedgntp
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

I don't believe the entirety of the US occupation in Afghanistan should be regarded as a war, but rather a policing endeavor.  It is hard to quantify what had been prevented during this occupation/policing/war.

To say it was for nought is both cruel to those who served, and not factual. There were many people serving over holidays, and watched their families unravel from afar, and the price went up from there. Gratitude must be felt for those who served and sacrificed, and we must recognize there were no meaningful attacks on the US emanating from that part of the world.  We may not know now,  but we may have some idea in the future what we've been spared of in the last 20 years.

Woolly Bugger

Violence Undermines China's Plans in Afghanistan, Risks Luring it Into Quagmire

>>>A recent attack in Afghanistan carried out by a Uighur Muslim has shaken China's top national security decisionmakers, who now question the value of promises from the Taliban.

China's top national security decisionmakers are stunned by a devastating suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan last week reportedly carried out by a Uighur Muslim, sources say, provoking Beijing to either disrupt its march toward greater investments in the Taliban government or to commit further to the quagmire that has stymied other superpowers for decades.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-10-14/afghanistan-quagmire-threatens-to-lure-in-china
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 15, 2021, 12:14:05 PMViolence Undermines China's Plans in Afghanistan, Risks Luring it Into Quagmire

>>>A recent attack in Afghanistan carried out by a Uighur Muslim has shaken China's top national security decisionmakers, who now question the value of promises from the Taliban.

China's top national security decisionmakers are stunned by a devastating suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan last week reportedly carried out by a Uighur Muslim, sources say, provoking Beijing to either disrupt its march toward greater investments in the Taliban government or to commit further to the quagmire that has stymied other superpowers for decades.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2021-10-14/afghanistan-quagmire-threatens-to-lure-in-china
That's called "Tuesday" in the Middle East.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff