Joe Humphries- 94 and still Fishin’

Started by trout-r-us, April 26, 2023, 13:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

troutboy_II

Great guy I'm sure. 

A contemporary of his is Harry Murray who's "Fly Fishing for Trout" video is one of the best I've seen for fishing in the type streams we all post about on here.  Think it is still available on Amazon if you're interested.  Admittedly I am a slow learner, but I always learn something new every time I watch that video again.

My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

greg

I met joe about 20 or so years ago. He came to foothills flyfishing in Greenville. He was very nice and spent plenty of time with everyone. I had a copy of his book I wanted  him to sign and he tied a generic looking wet fly for me and put on the inside cover.

Trout Maharishi

Joe is a good one 'c;  George Harvey to Joe to George Daniels. :bow  Murray :laugh:  :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutboy_II on April 26, 2023, 14:50:17 PMHarry Murray who's "Fly Fishing for Trout"

Fly Fishing for Trout with Harry Murray
Harry Murray shares his accumulated wisdom to catch trout. We start in small mountain stream to learn how to catch elusive Brookies. Next we learn the techniques for catching Browns and Rainbows. Finally we join legendary guide Richard Parks on the Yellowstone River to catch Cutthroat. Includes an introduction to stream entomology, detailed casting techniques, and basic knots.
here's the amazon link https://amzn.to/3oKona0 for $2.00 I might just watch it...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

Quote from: greg on April 26, 2023, 16:56:00 PMI met joe about 20 or so years ago. He came to foothills flyfishing in Greenville. He was very nice and spent plenty of time with everyone. I had a copy of his book I wanted  him to sign and he tied a generic looking wet fly for me and put on the inside cover.

I still miss Bill & Chuck and that store. 

I didn't get to meet Joe, much to my chagrin. 

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

greg

I saw where Chuck died a few years back. Had no idea.

rbphoto

Quote from: greg on April 27, 2023, 10:40:10 AMI saw where Chuck died a few years back. Had no idea.

I found out about it several months after the fact.  His little place up on Gap Creek Rd was a beautiful slice of peacefulness.  I met him in 1989 and lost track of him after the store closed.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

You cannot view this attachment.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Been to Murrays fly shop in Edinburg once. Nice little store - full of his personal flies/gear preferences. He's a smallmouth fan too.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski