News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Trouts are for lovers

Started by terrestrial, July 12, 2021, 11:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrestrial

Not much fishing has been had the past few months due to work, life, and other bullshit like that. So, when the wife said that the dog needed to get out of the house for awhile, I took one for the team and took him out.

Usually when I fish, I know the night before that I'm going and have ample time to study all the details (like it matters) of where I'm going, stream conditions, etc. Not today. The dog and I packed up and hit the road before she could change her mind and tag along with us.

I hit the road out of shittown northbound  still unsure where I would land. I usually try to keep day trips to 1.5hr or so drive to self justify the fishing/drive time ratio. This section of creek barely fits inside my drive radius and has been interesting to me for awhile. Glad I picked it as we didn't run into anyone else while we were there.

Doggo usually runs face first into whatever water he can find. He'll enjoy the hell out of it for about 3 minutes, and then is back to doing doggo shit on dry ground. He doesn't give a damn about fish, but he usually stays within sight and doesn't high hole me as I move upstream.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I started with a dry/dropper and landed a fingerling brown. Promising. But no love was being had on the dry. So I switched over to my ghetto-redneck version of euro nymphing for the rest of the day. I found cookie-cutter rainbows in just about every good hole the rest of the afternoon. Rainbows are kinda like fat girls, good when you haven't had any in awhile, and better than nothing at all.

Then finally, what I came for. I cast my redneck euro rig into the head of a pool, let the stonefly get to the bottom, and dredged back out. A couple of good casts with no results. One last cast paid off and I'm still not sure why it was different than the rest, but I'll take it.

And ended my weekend well.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

greg

Onslow

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

joe friday

terrestrial

Not sure that this warranted a separate post.

Finally got out again and hit up a sister stream to the first TR from back in July. Had an excellent day sight fishing to risers. A good change of pace from Chuck n duck nymphing and streamer fishing. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Rainbows don't suck so bad when they eat a dry fly, but brownies are always the shit. Finished the day with another good bourbon purchase to boot.

I guess I need to take more pics if I'm gonna post TRs again.

Woolly Bugger

Nice, gotta love the dry fly bite
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!