other
2 (15.4%)
one time at band camp I had an encounter with yellow jackets
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Sedition and Pockets

I ain't even seent one this year

Beetle

I've got a healthy pollinator population so I am mindful of what I put out there (usually Sevin).    Just odd that I have so many nests this year.

Doug- my Chaste tree is in full bloom.   Mountain mint coming soon

rbphoto

Used to get them in the blueberry patch, on the pond bank, under the landscape timbers - everywhere you could possibly think over 5 acres.

Once I tried fire ant killer on a nest, I've never looked back.

I don't even have fire ants at the current house, but I keep this stuff on hand just for those evil bastards:

https://amzn.to/2UcfaI4

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

itieuglyflies

Just remembered father-in-laws (one time solution) to a nest. He set up his shop Vac near the hole where yellowjackets were going in and out. He had great pleasure watching them being sucked up and disappearing down the hose. As I recall he even called me to report the brilliance of his idea. He let the vac run nearly all day. That part worked.

Where he failed badly was thinking (or not thinking) that the trip into the vacuum  and the two inches of water he had put in the
machine would have surely killed all of the little stinging bastards....... just to be sure he waited a whole day before removing the top to do a body count.

The swelling on his arms and face went down after a couple of days.

Phil

^^ Now that is funny right there, Fred.  :laugh:

streamereater_101691

Funny that this thread showed up. I spotted a nest in my yard today.

Beetle

Found another this morning..... :wave

Grannyknot

I just pour gasoline in right at dark and they are ded.

I had to start treating our back yard for grubs.  Grubs attract moles and voles, and yellow jackets use their holes & tunnels to build nests.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Native Fisher

Grubs attract skunks too.  I had my last house's backyard dug up by skunk's eating grubs.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Native Fisher on July 01, 2021, 11:50:51 AMGrubs attract skunks too.  I had my last house's backyard dug up by skunk's eating grubs.

Skunks are cool and I have soft spot for the smelly critter.  I really enjoy the smell, if faint, on a frosty October morning.

Skunks = no grubs and no ground nesting yellowjackets

https://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2018/07/27/a-way-to-get-rid-of-yellow-jackets/

https://emammal.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/striped-skunk-foraging/#:~:text=Skunks%20also%20dig%20up%20yellow%20jacket%20and%20ground,down%20adults%20as%20they%20emerge%20and%20eat%20them%21

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Native Fisher on July 01, 2021, 11:50:51 AMGrubs attract skunks too.  I had my last house's backyard dug up by skunk's eating grubs.
Bears, too.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Trout Maharishi

Careful with that gas
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

Found another.    The Sevin works fine but the stragglers / survivors are rebuilding nearby.