Learning Russian was going nowhere

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, June 16, 2021, 19:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

While the memories of Helsinki wither away, and it appears we are no longer kissing Russia's ass, I have canceled my Rosetta Stone and my petulant hopes of learning Russian.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

LOL, well I spent a year learning Vietnamese (was even the honor grad in my class) and look how much good it did.

Instead of cancelling your Russian lessons you better see if you can switch languages - Spanish would be good about now.

troutrus

I grew up with my mom, nana, and some aunts and uncles that communicated in Lithuanian. Though not fluent, I was able to follow along well enough to order a cheesesteak and coke at my aunt's restaurant.
Took two years of Spanish in high school, and I'm able to understand enough to know when workers at the Mexican restaurant are talking shit about me.
Had four years of Latin classes in school and could parrot along through a tremendous amount of prayers and hymns. Of course I never fully understood much of what I was saying.
Always wanted to learn to speak Italian as I'm a fan of The Godfather movies and the Sopranos.

Sveikas. 🍻

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 17, 2021, 18:51:26 PMI speak fluent Appalachian.

I used to possess Appalachian fluency, had 18 years of training, then it was contaminated with 30 + years of pretentious, haughty, pseudo sophisticated bullshit.  Since I retired, I am relearning; there is no shortage of instructors here in the Grove.

Onslow

One doesn't need comprehend Russian to be moved by her singing.

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 17, 2021, 18:51:26 PMI speak fluent Appalachian.
Do you say "y'awl" or "You'uns?" "Driver's license" or say it plural as in, "Got my driver's licenses renewed?" Do you say it's "chilly," or do you call it "airish?"
Do you get your picture taken, or get your picture "made?"  :wave

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on June 24, 2021, 18:28:33 PM

"Keep that cheap wailing slut quiet!"  Archer Maggott

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 24, 2021, 20:42:08 PM
Quote from: Onslow on June 24, 2021, 18:28:33 PM

"Keep that cheap wailing slut quiet!"  Archer Maggott

She's singing "it's cold and lonely in Siberia and we're out of vodka and all the men are in labor camps"
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!