• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
September 18, 2021, 01:52:17 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

NC Apple Man w/1200 Antique Varieties

Started by Dougfish, June 08, 2021, 16:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

I dabbled into the heirloom apple scene back in the early 2000s.  Many of these old varieties are not that great, some are notably terrible.

Calville Blanc d'hiver is pretty god awful.

The Granny McMillian is also horrible.

Virginia beauty is highly overrated.

Many are also disease prone. I love the William's Favorite, but this thing is a disease magnet.  Beautiful apples that taste great but..., and the Golden delicious is better than its parent, the Grimes Golden.  Carolina Red June is an ugly little apple, but damn it tastes good.

I'm a big fan of the Royal Limbertwig. There is no other like it.  Cox Orange Pippin isn't bad either.  It is still hard to beat an Old Fashioned Winesap & Golden Delicious.

Regarding varieties with special qualities, the Blue Ridge King was unique.  During the heatwave/drought of 2007, this apple kicked ass. There were 9 consecutive 100+ days, one of which was 106 in the shade, six weeks with no rain, but yet through it all, this tree made a full crop while other trees languished. Maurice Marshall sold me the BRK, but I don't think anyone else is growing them.  I need to cut some scion wood, and graft a couple of these. I hate Maurice is gone.  He took his own life after his wife died of lung cancer. :(

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on June 08, 2021, 17:37:57 PMI dabbled into the heirloom apple scene back in the early 2000s.  Many of these old varieties are not that great, some are notably terrible.

Read the article. It was all about the cider.
Johnny Appleseed, whoever the legend or myth he was, sold unnamed whips for cider.
Cider only. Poor man's alcohol. Selecting for eating apples happened much later. 
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? " -Oddball, 1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on June 08, 2021, 19:48:08 PM
Quote from: Onslow on June 08, 2021, 17:37:57 PMI dabbled into the heirloom apple scene back in the early 2000s.  Many of these old varieties are not that great, some are notably terrible.

Johnny Appleseed, whoever the legend or myth he was, sold unnamed whips for cider.
Cider only. Poor man's alcohol. Selecting for eating apples happened much later. 

I've read Lee Calhoun and others.
Quote from: Dougfish on June 08, 2021, 19:48:08 PM

Doug I've read a few 300 + page books on apples, lol.

The Calville Blanc is the perfect single function cider apple.  Don't think a pig would eat one.

Dougfish

You're not the only well read one on here, Ken.
We'll agree to disagree.

I enjoyed the article.

But if I do,

Onslow

Doug, I can't really identify a solid disagreement. I would however advise any person interested in growing heirloom apples to test the product before purchasing the tree. I would venture to guess 80 percent of the old varieties aren't worth having. Many have danced on the ashes of a Granny Smith apple tree. It is an utterly worthless cultivar.

Secondly, fads come and go. Apple tree growing was hot after Lee Calhoun's book was published, but none of the publicity changes the certain facts about apple trees.  They are not native to this land, and they are disease prone.  Yes, many of the old varieties are VERY disease prone.

History is fun to read about, but reliving it, not so much.

Woolly Bugger

June 09, 2021, 07:15:36 AM #7 Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:20:21 AM by Woolly Bugger
Tom Brown's (NC Apple Man) web site

https://applesearch.org/Junaluska_Apple_Discovery.html

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Had the opportunity to visit Hopewell Furnace in PA for several years (sampling French Creek which flows through the National Park land).

Their heirloom orchard was impressive.

https://www.nps.gov/hofu/learn/historyculture/apple-orchard.htm
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

greg

#CommissionsEarned