Dark side - Unlimited Euro Nymphing

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 08, 2021, 12:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on June 23, 2021, 11:37:54 AMI had no idea euro nymphing involved a dropper tied above an anchor fly.  Seems like a pain in the rear to cast that rig.

Amazingly enough casting (lobbing) doesn't cause any grief — it's more of a pain when stringing to the rod for storage when changing locations, but I'm going to try the rubber band method

Thanks all for your input!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 24, 2021, 13:18:38 PM
Quote from: Big J on June 23, 2021, 11:37:54 AMI had no idea euro nymphing involved a dropper tied above an anchor fly.  Seems like a pain in the rear to cast that rig.

Amazingly enough casting (lobbing) doesn't cause any grief — it's more of a pain when stringing to the rod for storage when changing locations, but I'm going to try the rubber band method

Thanks all for your input!

I already got the rubber band fly keeper on my new rod. Thanks for the tip from me as well, Fred!

Fishbug

1 - wrap the whole leader down and around reel then back up and hook on one of the first 2-3 eyes

2 - bend works fine; better if theres a barb

3 - tippet rings help save alot of tippet. If I go deeper I just extend the point fly

Dougfish

Quote from: Fishbug on June 24, 2021, 18:13:12 PM1 - wrap the whole leader down and around reel then back up and hook on one of the first 2-3 eyes

2 - bend works fine; better if theres a barb

3 - tippet rings help save alot of tippet. If I go deeper I just extend the point fly

Number 1 is what I do everyday.
No matter what the rig/rod/setup. Traditional dry, dry/dropper, nymph rigs get hooked on an upper eye.
Let the line off the reel, tap the rod, flies drop off.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

OK -- a question or two for you Euro/semi-Euro pros. This lame-brain is curious.
 Do you still use short(er) rods and traditional techniques for really small streams? I'm wondering how in the world I could maneuver a 10' rod on a little bitty crick. Is Euro tight-line only for larger stuff?
I'm headed down to a solo camp/fish in GSMNP for a few days soon. I usually fish a medium-sized creek some, but end up using most of my limited fishing days hiking up to the smaller tribs. Should I even bother taking the 10' 3 weight, or just go with an 8' for the big creek and a 7' for the tribs? Sitting here in a morning coffee-induced frenzy trying to figger this shit out.

Dougfish

I routinely tight line and slack line nymph small streams with a traditional rig/rod. Just lengthen your leader with more terminal tippet.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on June 25, 2021, 08:36:26 AMOK -- a question or two for you Euro/semi-Euro pros. This lame-brain is curious.
 Do you still use short(er) rods and traditional techniques for really small streams? I'm wondering how in the world I could maneuver a 10' rod on a little bitty crick. Is Euro tight-line only for larger stuff?
I'm headed down to a solo camp/fish in GSMNP for a few days soon. I usually fish a medium-sized creek some, but end up using most of my limited fishing days hiking up to the smaller tribs. Should I even bother taking the 10' 3 weight, or just go with an 8' for the big creek and a 7' for the tribs? Sitting here in a morning coffee-induced frenzy trying to figger this shit out.

I use the 10' on small creeks, if they're good nymph water with deep plunge pools and stuff. I'm usually dry-fly fishing those most of the time with an 8' rod, though. I'll often tie on a nymph on the normal rod to tight-line dredge a deep hole if nothing hits the dry.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

streamereater_101691

So I'm a firm believer that you do not need/want a 10'+ rod for smaller water. It gets tangled in trees, bushes, and hard to cast in a canopy.

Let me explain how this game works. For most average height folks, you can effectively fish about 2x your rod length plus tippet when tight line nymphing. So for a 9ft rod, that's about 22ft of coverage dead ahead in front of you. Any further away and you aren't in a good hook setting position because you're lifting the rod over your head to keep line off the water. Now, imagine how wide of a stream you're fishing. Most of the smaller/midsize streams I fish are 40-60ft wide. When standing in the middle of the river, I can cover each side almost to the bank with a 9ft rod.

So here's my formula based on stream width also considering that I might throw dries:
Under 40'=8'-8.5' rod.
40-60' 9' rod.
Over 60' 10' rod or longer.

I then position myself to be inside that effective distance. Another huge thing is learning how to wade quietly while moving yourself into position. Tighline nymphing is all about efficiency. You want to move your feet efficiently and quietly to get close to fish without spooking them.

Phil

Well, I certainly have fished nymphs in small and very small creeks for 45+ years, either with a dry/dropper or just a nymph. I've always, however, used a very small indicator-either a lttle palsa stick-on or a New Zeland yarn one if I fished just a nymph. I basically feel kinda lost nymphin with no indicator. Still struggling with the "sighter"multi-colored section of line, or even no sighter. Guess I 'll have to get used to it.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on June 25, 2021, 12:17:17 PMWell, I certainly have fished nymphs in small and very small creeks for 45+ years, either with a dry/dropper or just a nymph. I've always, however, used a very small indicator-either a lttle palsa stick-on or a New Zeland yarn one if I fished just a nymph. I basically feel kinda lost nymphin with no indicator. Still struggling with the "sighter"multi-colored section of line, or even no sighter. Guess I 'll have to get used to it.
I like those little palsa indicators.

Dougfish

1 use 20 - 25 lb red Amnesia line fore the first 9" of my leaders. I focus on that nymphing small streams.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Catching fish obviously defines a successful day of fishing, but keeping rigs out of the trees is priority #2. If a stream or run is too narrow to set a hook downstream & low, then it is time to walk over said run, or use a shorter rod.  Tying on rigs due to poor planning or execution is a waste of life/time/positive attitude/money.

To hell with a ton of line trash and bird nests.  I hate indicators and split shot. While I don't fish without splits, I may be moved to start tying my own ultra heavy shit to eliminate that piece of line trash.  No indicator use of any kind here.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on June 26, 2021, 06:16:52 AMCatching fish obviously defines a successful day of fishing, but keeping rigs out of the trees is priority #2. If a stream or run is too narrow to set a hook downstream & low, then it is time to walk over said run, or use a shorter rod.  Tying on rigs due to poor planning or execution is a waste of life/time/positive attitude/money.

To hell with a ton of line trash and bird nests.  I hate indicators and split shot. While I don't fish without splits, I may be moved to start tying my own ultra heavy shit to eliminate that piece of line trash.  No indicator use of any kind here.

I use split shot most of the time, because I simply catch 5x as many fish using it as compared to using two heavily-weighted lead-wire and tungsten beaded nymphs by themselves. It's a pain in the ass with tangles sometimes, but I always catch more fish with more weight, if for no other reason than it keeps the little bit of slack out of your line that prevents you from feeling or seeing strikes.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dougfish on June 25, 2021, 16:24:27 PM1 use 20 - 25 lb red Amnesia line fore the first 9" of my leaders. I focus on that nymphing small streams.
I have about 30' of 20 lb Maxima mono between the fly line and sighter. I never see my fly line unless a big fish starts stripping line off the reel.