News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Be careful out there

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 05, 2021, 18:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

MARION, N.C. — A hiker from Illinois is dead after a fall at Linville Gorge in the western North Carolina mountains, according to local officials.

News outlets report that Burke County Emergency Management officials received a call midday Thursday for an injured hiker off Rock Jock Trail in the gorge.

More than three hours later, rescuers found Michael Ryva dead. The 30-year-old from Forest Park, Illinois, had fallen approximately 80 feet from a ledge, officials said

https://www.wral.com/hiker-dies-after-fall-at-north-carolina-gorge/19710921/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutrus

Sad situation for sure. 🙁
Difficult to comprehend. I've been down that way a number of times, but never went past the portage takeout, so not sure how much warning signage might be down there.

Onslow

It would be challenging to find a less suitable location/time to go tubing. Damn

You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

I do know that there are portage signs up river and you can see the trail in the photo Ken posted.

I shot a video of that dam when my son was canoeing during a flood many years ago.. I'll see if i can dig it up..

terrible killer hydraulics at that dam.

from this post....

https://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,9987.0.html
me -There's a season?

troutrus

That video taken during flood stage does not offer a fair representation of how high the dam is during normal flows. During normal flows I would guess an 8 ft drop minimum. Some decent smallmouth down there in the fall. We used to run the Jonboat down to the portage and walk around to fish below the dam.
That was back before I mastered the Smith River trout. 😂

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutrus

There is still a 35 year old pregnant woman missing. Starting to look like 6 deaths. 🙁

"The nine family members who set out tubing on Wednesday afternoon were unaware of the dam, Villano said. "They didn't know what it was.''

https://greensboro.com/community/rockingham_now/news/state-highway-patrol-helicopter-back-to-continue-in-missing-tuber-recovery-effort/article_07082ab0-d378-11eb-b377-9ffd7d7eaaba.html

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021/07/08/roanoke-father-son-duo-rescue-missing-boater-40-miles-off-north-carolina-coast/

The Shermans are friends and neighbors. A fine family. I made a fly rod for Jack with a USNA theme and the twin daughters cat sit for us. Wow, just wow. Andrew grew up in Miami and has salt in his blood. Started working on fishing boats in his teens.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Quote from: Dougfish on July 08, 2021, 06:44:51 AMhttps://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021/07/08/roanoke-father-son-duo-rescue-missing-boater-40-miles-off-north-carolina-coast/

The Shermans are friends and neighbors. A fine family. I made a fly rod for Jack with a USNA theme and the twin daughters cat sit for us. Wow, just wow. Andrew grew up in Miami and has salt in his blood. Started working on fishing boats in his teens.
I saw that story on TV last night. Very Cool! The boater was mighty lucky that the Shermans came along.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on July 08, 2021, 14:11:02 PMFood in the tent may have caused first encounter. :o https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-hunt-grizzly-killed-camper-montana-town-78710156

>>>

The approximately 400-pound (181-kilogram) grizzly first awakened the campers about 3 a.m., officials said. They took food out of their tents, secured it and went back to sleep, they said.

My thoughts....
"I'll just keep this snickers bar in here in case I get hungry in the middle of the night"
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Couple drown in Moyie River

>>>A married couple visiting from Kentucky drowned Saturday morning in the Moyie River as they were fly-fishing in the area, according to Boundary County Emergency Management officials.

The couple were identified as John and Vicki Fourshee, both in their late 60s.

Andrew O'Neel, Boundary County EMS director, said the accident occurred about 9 a.m. near the Twin Rivers Campground at the confluence of the Moyie and Kootenai rivers.

Witnesses told responding deputies that the couple were attempting to cross the Moyie River when John Fourshee slipped and lost his balance and his wife, Vicki Fourshee, attempted to help him. Both were wearing fishing waders, O'Neel said.

Friends of the couple pulled them from the water and were attempting to revive them when a Boundary County Sheriff's deputy arrived on scene. Boundary Ambulance crew continued life-saving efforts when they arrived shortly after the deputy, O'Neel said.

"It was a lot of people trying to help," he said. "Sadly they were not successful."

usgs gauge 174 cfs...

me -There's a season?