News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boots?

Started by terrestrial, April 28, 2021, 10:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrestrial

Need to buy some boots and considering something non-Simms. Just a little frustrated with the lifespan of the Simms boots I've worn the past several years.

I just finished reading the danner/patagucci, whorvis, Simms boots threads, but is there any love/hate for Korkers? Might try them out,

Yallerhammer

I ran a pair of Cabela's for about four years that I really liked. They finally fell apart on me after a lot of hard miles and wear and tear.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutboy_II

I really like my Chotas.  Some on here had bad experience I think, but I've been wearing them for maybe 15 years and get good mileage and comfort from them.  I think they are particularly comfortable because the soles are softer and more flexible than pretty much everything else I tried.  I can feel the bottom of the stream better and feel steadier because of it.  I don't do well balancing on the borads that some manufactures call soles.  Also a little easier on hikes in (and I don't have another pairs of boots to worry about). 

Now I will grant you that I have not looked at boots in a while and there may be better ones out there now, but I recommend you at least look at a pair of Chotas before you buy.

For what it's worth, my ass is dragging today because of yesterday's hike in to a stream we hadn't been to in a while, but I don't think the boots were a cause - just old ass muscles.  :Dance

My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Dougfish

Boot killer chiming in.
Cabelas? 9 mos. 3 times.
Korkers? Long ago. 12 months.
Orvis? 12 months.
Simms Freestones? 36 months and counting.
I hated them for the first year+. Uppers were too stiff and irritated my ankles.
Slowly failing now.
I'm considering two pairs. Orvis lightweight for wet wading. Simms for wader wading.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

I'm with TB II  concerning Chota. Have had their STL boots and loved them. Not sure why I decided to replace them with something different this year, but already having buyer's remorse.

driver

I have a pair of Korkers that I bought in desperation when I realized rubber soles weren't going to cut it on those sunny Colorado creeks. Luckily there is a fly shop every 10 miles in CO.

That said I don't care for them. they wear more like a shoe. Not much ankle support and don't feel well made. I only wear them on tailwaters, which I don't fish a lot, but they are 5 years old.

I have owned multiple Simms boots, in my experience the higher the price the longer they last in the Simms line. Freestones only last a year.

terrestrial

Found a pair of Simms Intruders on closeout at the local shop. For what I paid for them, just one wet-wading season would get my money out of them. I'll wear them through the summer and pony up some money for a winter boot later. Thanks for the input

Michael Toris

Quote from: terrestrial on May 17, 2021, 09:28:08 AMFound a pair of Simms Intruders on closeout at the local shop. For what I paid for them, just one wet-wading season would get my money out of them. I'll wear them through the summer and pony up some money for a winter boot later. Thanks for the input

Where is this local shop and do they have any more on sale?

rford

I like Korkers because of the ability to change soles when hiking.  I feel that their durability may not be that good. 

terrestrial

Quote from: WMT on May 17, 2021, 13:40:10 PM
Quote from: terrestrial on May 17, 2021, 09:28:08 AMFound a pair of Simms Intruders on closeout at the local shop. For what I paid for them, just one wet-wading season would get my money out of them. I'll wear them through the summer and pony up some money for a winter boot later. Thanks for the input

Where is this local shop and do they have any more on sale?

Was Carolina Mountain Sports in Statesville. He had one pair left, a size 10 I think? Richard would probably set it back for you if you called asking about it.