News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

It Ain't Over

Started by Onslow, December 26, 2021, 18:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

When conditions are not suitable for small stream troutin, one mustn't whine, but adapt. Just enough resources/streamers were on hand to for a bass trip to proceed comfortably. A not so quick stop was made at the Sportsman Warehouse in Greensboro, then a bit more driving brought us to a destination that fishes well in the Winter. This .5 mile segment of river is deep, and relatively sandy compared to most of the river. This makes it easy to pull clousers on sink without snagging every 5 seconds.  I was pulling a 6/0....not fucking around here. I was also pulling 4/0 deceivers, but could not attain the proper depth on the 6wt.  Need to replace the 10' Type 3 w/ a 15' sink tip line, Type VI.

No shuttle was needed.  We were going to paddle up the river, then paddle back. After an hour, a fish was on.  As I reached for the next behind the canoe seat, balance was lost, and ended up in the drink in water 6' deep.  Found a rock to stand on, took a selfie, emptied the canoe, then did a Capistrano entry.

You cannot view this attachment.

Came across a school of crappie.  The first was a PB for both river, pond, spin, flyrod.  13.5 inches.

itieuglyflies

Now that was awesome!

Phil

Great trip, and what a Crappie!  /'/ 

Dee-Vo

Hell of a December bassin' trip there, Kenneth. I bet that was a chilly dunk you took. Been there, done that shit before.

Good work, dude. I've always thought the river crappie were neat. The Yadkin is supposed to have some, too.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on December 27, 2021, 07:15:12 AMGreat trip, and what a Crappie!  /'/ 

Flyroddin is the best way to wack crappie imo. More effective than minnow and bobber. Ive caught more crappie in the last two years than the previous 28.

Dougfish

Very nicely down, sir. Glad you got wet.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fishbug

Onslow

Jeff went to a different river yesterday and caught 35 crappie with a flyrod.  Largest was 13.2. Parking a canoe near a brush pile, or deep cut full of crappie makes for some fun catching.