Vail/Beaver Creek Colorado

Started by hcrum87hc, January 26, 2021, 09:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcrum87hc

The wife and I are planning our 10 year anniversary trip for this October.  I've been wanting to visit the Rockies for years and finally talked her into it ("as long as there's a spa and the kids stay home, I don't care where we go").  I've narrowed it down to either Vail or Beaver Creek in CO. 

One of the days we're there, she's going to have a spa day, and I'm going to have a fishing day.  Do any of you have any recommendations for a guide in that area?  Also, any other recommendations for things to do in the area or places to eat are welcome.  Thanks.
Jeremiah 17:7

Native Fisher

Multiple natural hot spring spas in Glenwood Springs, CO.  You go south from there and you can fish the Roaring Fork river near Basalt.

Onslow

Hope you enjoy it. You're going the best time of the year Imo. Just know that area is overpriced.  A gallon of milk, and a box of granola fetched $4.50 each in 1990.

I would make a point to visit the Rocky Mt. National Park, and drive the Trail Ridge Rd, but not before stopping by Estes Park for a bit. Trail Ridge Road takes one to the ridges (12,000+) where one can actually see the landscapes.  There is tundra, there are punchbowl lakes all over.  There glaciers dripping water in said lakes. This tour is imperative.  Weather can be sketchy, and if you're afraid of heights, well may God have mercy.

Once you get to Vail, your views of the higher mountains are somewhat limited.  Many of the valleys in the area are between 8500'-9000', and the peaks are only rise 2000'-3000' above the valleys.

If you dislike the preppy fluster cluckery of the resort towns, Gunnison is a true western town with good vibes.

Dougfish

I'll be in Steamboat in June. Will let you bout that. By October, RNP and other high roads might be shut. Vail is uber pricey. Glenwood is a good try. If you want to go long, look at Durango. Arkansas R. and Great Sand Dunes on the way. Plus the steam train along the river.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

It was wise for Dougy and Jacob to tease the lakes in the High Sierra.  Grand  Mesa is just north of Gunnison, and my, does it look interesting.

During October of 1979, my fam was heading home from Arizona, and we were taking a more northern route.  My sis leading the pack, took a wrong turn in Durango, and headed up towards Silverton instead of Wolf Creek pass to Alamosa. Whilst pulling some altitude, we noticed a puffy cloud ahead in the peaks. Then it started to snow.  The roads became icy.  There were no guardrails, we skirted a truck that would not budge.  We saw tracks going off the side of the cliff. There were no such thing as all season tires in 1979.  We had two vehicles.  A 2wd pick with stick shift/454., and a van.  The gas needles were plunging. It turned into a holy fucking shit moment when the van timing chain came undone.  The truck was sent to Ouray for assistance. It was getting dark.  The town was packing up for the Winter, and they were leaving the next day. My old man asked about the tire tracks off the side of the mountain, and the old man at the motel said, "we'll find them next Spring" :o Ahh, the joys of haplessly fooling around in the Rockies in October!

driver

I'm not going to steer you in s different direction. Sounds like you're set on those two. I will try to keep the wife happy. As for spas.. no idea. As for fishing if you wanna stay close by, get a guide and fish the Eagle or Blue Rivers. You will catch bows and browns. If you want to catch natives, save yourself the cash and find what we would call here "brookie water" and have a blast with a 3wt. If interested I can point you to some spots east of there.

Dougfish

I've done Silverton to Ouray in May. It's butt puckering then. The snowplow operator memorial along the way is eye opening.  :o
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

driver

I forgot to mention October is the end of the dry season. A lot of water will be low.

RiverbumCO

I lived there for 3 years. PM me.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Dougfish

Quote from: driver on January 26, 2021, 21:56:58 PMI forgot to mention October is the end of the dry season. A lot of water will be low.

True dat.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

hcrum87hc

Thanks fellas.  Any thoughts on the Snowmass-Aspen area?  I know it's going to be expensive too, but it looks like there's more value staying at Snowmass.  I was looking at Vail/BC due to the walkability and proximity of everything, but if we stay in Snowmass, we'd have a little bit of that and then a short drive to Aspen would provide plenty of walkability. 

Sadly, this isn't a straight up adventure centric trip.  The wife isn't much of an outdoorswoman, but we'll likely spend a couple days exploring, I'll spend a day fishing, and then the other days just relaxing/bumming around town. 

Dougfish

Make a day trip over to Grand Junction. Artsy town. Good artist co-ops and such.
Continue west to Colorado National Monument for rock formations and high desert vibe. Underrated.
To the south is Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Co's Grand Canyon. I want to fish that before I get decrepit. And Telluride is just down the road.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Native Fisher

Snowmass Village isn't very big on retail and restaurants. It is a ski resort with a few things to do in the warm months. They do have free public busses that transit between Glenwood, Snowmass, and Aspen.  Aspen is very expensive but a cool place to walk around and get some good food. Some nice old architecture still surviving among the new stuff. The Maroon Bells mountains are worth a visit.

hcrum87hc

The wife and I decided on Vail. We'll be staying on Gore Creek on the Gold Medal section, so I'll have that option right out the back door, and upper Gore Creek looks pretty nice too.

I've had a few suggestions in PMs that I'll try out as well. Thanks fellas.

I'll still likely get a guide one of the first days we're there and pick his brain for other suggestions. I'll definitely have enough to keep me busy.

RiverbumCO

For guides I would recommend Brett Elkman.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.