Wilson Creek Action Plan -- Make your voice heard

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 08, 2024, 09:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

We have exciting news to share with our Wilson Creek community! The US Forest Service is preparing to enhance the overall experience of Wilson Creek by improving public parking, river access, restrooms, and picnic areas! As future improvements are planned, it's important YOU are part of this process and that your voices are heard. Over the next several months, USFS and their partners will be collecting feedback, working with designers and planners, and proposing options for improvements. Your input and unique user experience is key to shaping all future improvements at Wilson Creek.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So... how do you contribute your voice to the Wilson Creek Action Plan? Please follow the link below and take a few moments to share your feedback on what you love about Wilson Creek and what you think would make it better.

https://www.g5trailcollective.org/wilsoncreek
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

This is pretty vague. Which probably means it's not good. This area already sees to much traffic.

driver

Here was my response:

Less people, I feel that the increase of people in Wilson's creek over the past few years has led to the degradation of the "Wild and Scenic River Corridor". To the point that it does not feel "Wild and Scenic". With more people, comes more trash, and more destruction of wilderness areas. By installing more parking, you are inviting more people. And will make Wilson's Creek less "Wild and Scenic". Accommodating for more people will make it the "Wild and Partying Corridor", more so than it already is in the summer. The best thing you can do for Wilson's creek is make it less inviting.

Woolly Bugger

I feel the same way but they have a mission and they will build more infrastructure and it will get more use and abuse.

Same thing happened with the access to South Mountain SP and the access road to Stone Mt SP as well

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Sounds like someone has a friend that wants a contract with the USFS.

I sounded off.  Discussions of parking lots, restrooms, and other amenities should not be happening. This is a wild and scenic river, not a ball park stadium.

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Phil

All of Wilson's creek except for the really upper part has been ruined for years imo. This will just make it worse.

Woolly Bugger

I sometimes wish that there was a plan to make things more inaccessible.
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on March 09, 2024, 10:50:06 AMAll of Wilson's creek except for the really upper part has been ruined for years imo. This will just make it worse.

The whole Catawba watershed sucks.  Little Wilson, and Wilson above LW sucks too.

I'm hearing Lost Cove above sassafras Creek sucks as well.  The pataguchi, and North face cucks can have it.

Wilson Creek need free needle and weed kiosks, a DEI kiosk, and condom dispensers.

joe friday

My 2 cents submitted to the USFS:

Inasmuch as I understand Wilson Creek belongs to everyone, history proves that a large number of people visiting the area have been abusive to the landscape and have not been able to demonstrate decent stewardship.

Having said that, I advocate a moderate user/parking fee be implemented to help cover the costs associated with managing the area.  This fee can set up in the same way that beach driving permits are done for Cape Hatteras Seashore, understanding the differences between the National Park System and the USFS.  Geographic boundaries would have to be established.  A fee system may also help provide funds for personnel to monitor and enforce parking and littering offenses and other activities.  A fee would put the costs of maintaining Wilson Creek on those who use it.

Although I did not say so in my comments, I fear that Linville Gorge is going the same way as Wilson Creek.  I understand that landowners adjacent to the gorge area are fed up with trespassers and roadside parking near trailheads.  I believe landowners on Wolfpit road have been towing cars away.  It seems like there are lots of people are loving the wilderness areas to death.  I also think groups such as WildSouth  and the Cleaner Wilson Creek volunteers are doing a hell of a job cleaning up trash and graffiti and that things would be much worse without them.  I see on Facebook how they pick up truckloads of garbage each month.  Maybe the USFS will need to implement a user fee for all the Pisgah area.