News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sunday Hunting?

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 15, 2020, 20:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Quote from: troutrus on October 19, 2020, 09:49:17 AMWe must accept some risk in life and unfortunately accidents do occur. But the ones that involve mis-identification are particularly difficult to comprehend.
Perhaps an ID exam should be a part of hunting license application.
e.g. pick out the picture that includes deer.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Sad story
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/father-9-year-old-daughter-are-mistaken-deer-shot-death-n1110071
Yep, I don't understand it. You can dress up in a deer suit and prance through the woods, and you'll be safe from me. Deer and people look nothing alike.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 18, 2020, 09:35:17 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 18, 2020, 09:11:05 AM
Quote from: Big J on October 17, 2020, 15:08:09 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 17, 2020, 08:48:01 AMI do not understand the ban on Sunday hunting on many public lands.  I can see no reason to continue with this antiquated puritanical blue law.  I've heard support for preserving the outdated rule from hikers, campers, horse trail riders, churchgoers, and even some anglers, but damned if I can comprehend the opposition to allow Sunday hunting on all fed and state lands.

I fully support it! It's a relief to know I can fish in the middle of the woods on a Sunday without getting shot!
I don't understand this mentality. Do you actually think that people who hunt just shoot randomly at people fishing? Really?

It's rare but it does happen and dead is dead...

>>>Hunter Fatally Shoots Hiker
A hunter mistook a Virgina college student for a deer and fired, killing her and injuring a companion
Katie HerrelUpdated:Feb 8, 2017O riginal:Nov 19, 2009

Hunting season and fall hiking season overlap, and unfortunately that can lead to deadly accidents: A hunter in Virginia shot and killed a college student trekking through the woods after mistaking her for a deer. Senior Jessica Goode was collecting frogs for a biology class on county-owned wilderness property near Ferrum College when she was shot through the chest. The bullet ricocheted and struck her classmate in the hand; he's currently recuperating in the hospital.

Police charged a 31-year-old man with with manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm, and trespassing. The land where he allegedly shot the students does not permit hunting, and is located only 75 yards from a paved cul-de-sac.
https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/hunter-fatally-shoots-hiker

>>>Mountain Biker Accidentally Shot by Deer Hunter

A scary accident unfolded near Hopkinton, N.H., last week when a hunter fired a shot shortly before dark. Around 4:20 p.m., a 27-year-old woman heard a gunshot then realized she'd been hit by a bullet.
https://gearjunkie.com/mountain-biker-shot-deer-hunter-new-hampshire

Yep, but there have also been people hit by meteors. You're at a lot more risk driving to that creek than you are being in the woods in deer season.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on October 19, 2020, 12:11:58 PMI was fishing in the Steele's Creek Gorge years ago and almost got shot by a hunter. I've been in combat before, so know the sound that a rifle makes when the barrel is pointed at ME, and the one on Steele's was pointed at me. It was close and the bullet hit very near me. A hunter was shooting at my sound and movement rustling in the river even though he couldn't see clearly what he was shooting at.  b';

That reminded me of the time I was fishing the Smith River at Sally's Pool when someone up in the field let loose  multiple rounds 12 - 15, in such rapid succession then it was impossible to count. My reaction was to duck as they were less than 100 feet away, I had no idea what where or why they were shooting. I assumed at the time that is was a pistol rather than a rifle. That was it one burst, when I got back up to the field they were gone. Now at the time there was a table and target set up but there is no backstop other than the trees and river.

Another time I was hiking up TR 264 out of Wilson and herd a lot of gun fire, didn't bother me to much as it sounded like it wasn't too close. When I got up to the car there was another vehicle just down the road from me and as I drove by two guys, who were somewhat surprised to see me, stated, "We didn't know you were down there... " and some other comments that I've forgotten but the gist of it was did the gunfire give me concern...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 17, 2020, 08:48:01 AMI do not understand the ban on Sunday hunting on many public lands.  I can see no reason to continue with this antiquated puritanical blue law.  I've heard support for preserving the outdated rule from hikers, campers, horse trail riders, churchgoers, and even some anglers, but damned if I can comprehend the opposition to allow Sunday hunting on all fed and state lands.

The hunting is not the issue, but the noise.  I'm for sabbaticals, and quiet time, and all humans should indulge whether they are religious, or not.

I hate the sound of gun fire. Between 2000, and 2007, gunfire is all I heard from my asshole murderer neighbor. I'd be fine never hearing a gunshot again, due to being sufficiently traumatized.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on October 19, 2020, 18:29:15 PM

The hunting is not the issue, but the noise.  I'm for sabbaticals, and quiet time, and all humans should indulge whether they are religious, or not.

I hate the sound of gun fire. Between 2000, and 2007, gunfire is all I heard from my asshole murderer neighbor. I'd be fine never hearing a gunshot again, due to being sufficiently traumatized.

Shame that a suppressor is still itemized as a ClassIII weapon here, requiring federal approval and an expensive tax stamp.

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 19, 2020, 18:42:54 PM
Quote from: Onslow on October 19, 2020, 18:29:15 PM

Shame that a suppressor is still itemized as a ClassIII weapon here, requiring federal approval and an expensive tax stamp.

A-friggin-men. Don't get me started on that. Most Europeans can go to hardware store and buy a suppressor off the shelf. They do not understand why suppressors are regulated here. It is viewed as common courtesy over there that if you are hunting or target shooting to use a suppressor.

I recently learned that suppressors were not debated during the NFA hearings in Congress. Legislators pretty much threw everything on the NFA including pistols and anything semi auto. They debated and removed items as they went along and then hurried up and passed after they got the momentum they thought they needed to pass it. Suppressors were never debated. Supposedly they were added at suggestion from game wardens wanting to more easily locate gun fire from poachers during the Great Depression when poaching took off.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on October 19, 2020, 18:29:15 PMThe hunting is not the issue, but the noise.  I'm for sabbaticals, and quiet time, and all humans should indulge whether they are religious, or not.

I hear more gun shots on Sundays than any other day.    During our 2-week rifle season for deer, everyone is hunting Monday through Saturday.  Sunday is for target shooting, sighting in that rifle you dropped earlier, etc.  -  heck, I am guessing why I hear so many shots on Sunday.

And my neighbors across Little Back Creek are firing various weapons regularly.  I worry if I don't hear them shooting.

Mind over matter I say.  I block out sounds if I so desire.  Just ask the Mrs.

I may be selfish, but I would like to Sunday hunt, particularly spring turkeys, on all the National Forest lands that surround me.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Thinking a lot about Ken's request for silence, if only for a day.  I can respect the wish, but I am hard pressed to see how, at least around my Grove home, this would ever come to fruition.

Semi-trucks travelling east on Rt. 39 applying their jake breaks, chain saws buzzing, vehicles droning by heading to the nearby church, church bell ringing on cue, roosters crowing, jacked-up pickups with loud aftermarket mufflers, gun shots blazing, cows bellowing, dogs barking, etc. ---- plethora of sounds to soften --- too many. 

But, if I am in the nearby NF, most, if not all, these sounds would vanish.  Perhaps an anomaly, but we hear very few shots will hunting; our local NF is no longer a mecca for hunters.  There seems to be more game, particularly deer, on the private lands. 

So, allowing Sunday hunting would add little to the sound pollution.  In fact, in my area, it would likely decrease the nearby gun fire.

Interesting discussion.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon