News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Some significant changes have occurred in WV concerning the expansion of designated waters, particularly in the upper Tug and Guyandotte watersheds.  The whole of Elkhorn and tribs are designated waters as well as a large chunk of the upper Guy.

I'm almost tempted to test some of the few remote tribs.

Woolly Bugger

"You can't park there"
"Boat Ramp champ"

PATRICK COUNTY, VA – An SUV was recovered from Fairy Stone Lake after it rolled off a boat ramp on Saturday.

Crews were called to the boat ramp off of Union Bridge Road in Patrick County around 5 p.m

https://www.btw21.com/post/vehicle-rolls-into-fairy-stone-lake-state-police-says
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The nation's rivers and streams remain stubbornly polluted with nutrients that contaminate drinking water and fuel a gigantic dead zone for aquatic life in the Gulf of Mexico, according to a recently released Environmental Protection Agency assessment.

It's a difficult problem that's concentrated in agricultural regions that drain into the Mississippi River. More than half of the basin's miles of rivers and streams were in poor condition for nitrogen and phosphorus from fertilizer that drains into waterways, the agency found. For decades, federal and state officials have struggled to control farm runoff, the biggest source of nutrient pollution that is not typically federally regulated.

It's a problem only expected to get harder to control as climate change produces more intense storms that dump rain on the Midwest and South. Those heavy rains flood farm fields, pick up commercial fertilizers and carry them into nearby rivers.

https://apnews.com/article/571eb54cb69cc06f43d5f1253e990337

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 21, 2024, 12:57:37 PMST. LOUIS (AP) — The nation's rivers and streams remain stubbornly polluted with nutrients that contaminate drinking water and fuel a gigantic dead zone for aquatic life in the Gulf of Mexico, according to a recently released Environmental Protection Agency assessment.

It's a difficult problem that's concentrated in agricultural regions that drain into the Mississippi River. More than half of the basin's miles of rivers and streams were in poor condition for nitrogen and phosphorus from fertilizer that drains into waterways, the agency found. For decades, federal and state officials have struggled to control farm runoff, the biggest source of nutrient pollution that is not typically federally regulated.

It's a problem only expected to get harder to control as climate change produces more intense storms that dump rain on the Midwest and South. Those heavy rains flood farm fields, pick up commercial fertilizers and carry them into nearby rivers.

https://apnews.com/article/571eb54cb69cc06f43d5f1253e990337

Not only is there a lack of Federal regulation, but Federal subsidies continue to rise for an irresponsible industry that has bought and paid for legislators that support their every wish.
The "double whammy" on the backs of the American taxpayer. 😡
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Utah Teen Facing Charges For Allegedly Taping Fish To ATMs

https://97x.com/utah-teen-facing-charges-taping-fish-atms/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referra

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

Any idea what would cause this squirrel to take a dirt nap in my back yard?
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Probably from chewing on an auto fuel line, lol.

Ramik green filled squirrel feeder

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 25, 2024, 21:07:39 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

Any idea what would cause this squirrel to take a dirt nap in my back yard?

Head trauma, likely the cause.  They do slip and fall more than you might think.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Crazy driver drove off a fishing pier in VA the other night — crews are working to recover vehicle and search for occupants

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Automakers keep glorifying bad behavior

Kia is the latest in a long line of auto brands celebrating "creek riding"

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/automakers-keep-glorifying-bad-behavior/7715862
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Johns River Headwaters in Blowing Rock Permanently Protected

On February 9, 2024, Foothills Conservancy acquired and permanently protected a 326-acre tract of land in Blowing Rock, positioned directly on the Blue Ridge Escarpment, which contains the source of the Johns River. This extremely significant parcel of land is a major part of the iconic, expansive mountainous view seen from The Blowing Rock attraction, the oldest travel attraction in North Carolina, as well as from various places along the heavily-traveled US 321 corridor and other locations within the town limits of Blowing Rock. 

The purchase was made possible by state grants from the North Carolina Land and Water Fund and the North Carolina Ecosystem Enhancement Grant program, foundation grants from the Glass Foundation and the Wilson Family Foundation, contributions from conservation philanthropists Fred and Alice Stanback, and Brad and Shelli Stanback, as well as generous donations and support from 97 individuals and local businesses in the Blowing Rock community and other grant funders.

Millions of people receive clean drinking water from the Catawba River, and the Johns River is its longest headwater tributary. This now-protected land also harbors a number of significant natural communities and threatened plant and animal species documented by the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program.

https://www.foothillsconservancy.org/news2/fcnc-permanently-protects-johns-river-headwaters-in-blowing-rock

me -There's a season?

Onslow

How much would you pay for a .6 of an acre creek side lot along Cranberry Creek a couple miles upstream of the SF New?  The lot is in a nice bend in the creek.  Stream is large, and stocked.

trout-r-us

Quote from: Onslow on February 20, 2024, 16:37:26 PMHow much would you pay for a .6 of an acre creek side lot along Cranberry Creek a couple miles upstream of the SF New?  The lot is in a nice bend in the creek.  Stream is large, and stocked.

Will it perc?
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

Quote from: trout-r-us on February 22, 2024, 07:03:33 AM
Quote from: Onslow on February 20, 2024, 16:37:26 PMHow much would you pay for a .6 of an acre creek side lot along Cranberry Creek a couple miles upstream of the SF New?  The lot is in a nice bend in the creek.  Stream is large, and stocked.

Will it perc?

More than one.  Yes and no.