News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on December 29, 2022, 12:03:01 PMFOX 10 News Phoenix: Coolidge Dam records highest water level in 5 years, a relief for Arizona farmers.
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/coolidge-dam-records-highest-water-level-in-5-years-a-relief-for-arizona-farmers

Quick, let's water the lawns, and grow more alfalfa to export
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

I was looking at the bottom of the home page and saw all the upcoming birthdays.  :o
A bunch of 53 y.o.'s.
April of '69 was a doinking good month.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on January 01, 2023, 16:42:41 PMI was looking at the bottom of the home page and saw all the upcoming birthdays.  :o
A bunch of 53 y.o.'s.
April of '69 was a doinking good month.

There was a conversion flaw when the board was upgraded and "blank" dob field was converted to jan 1
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Holy thread wrappers

You cannot view this attachment.

me -There's a season?

Onslow

With all the societal problems that beset our nation and the world, let's waste time tying something utterly retarded that probably doesn't catch fish.  Pure genius.

Woolly Bugger

I asked the chatbot to write a fishing story for me

You cannot view this attachment.

It came to pass that while the Israelites were out toilin' amongst the fields and waters, one man in particular had a passion far different from the others. His name was Finnegan, and he had a zeal for fly fishing 'pon the lakes and rivers of the nation.

One summer's day, Finnegan took up his rod and lines and headed out to one of the nearby streams, where the waters ran clean, and the trout bite was sure. Alas, the waters were slower this day than they had been others, yet his patience did not falter, for it was his faith that no matter the situation, God gives a man the chance to take from the earth what he will, and so Finnegan continued to cast and to wait.

The morning was spent without any river fish biting and by the afternoon, Finnegan was beginning to despair. Just when it seemed he had hit the end of his luck, he felt a tug on the line that had been over an hour still. Drawing in his rod excitedly, Finnegan was greeted with a wild and colorful trout, larger than any he had seen before in the stream.

With trembling hands, Finnegan removed the hook from the fish's mouth, and cast it gently back into the water, knowing full well the bounty provided by God. With a great spirit of thanks, Finnegan gathered up his equipment and made his way back to his village, both joyous and humbled in his single catch.

Such was the miracle of a day of fly fishing and the power of faith that was seen both in the waters, and in Finnegan's heart. Amen.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on January 17, 2023, 21:13:07 PMhttps://thespectator.com/life/why-lumberjacks-are-happy-and-youre-not/

In another study....

Suicide by job: Farmers, lumberjacks, fisherman top list

Among various types of American workers, it is farmers, lumberjacks and fishermen who are most likely to kill themselves, according to a large new study that shows enormous differences of suicide rates across jobs.

Researchers found the highest suicide rates in manual laborers who work in isolation and face unsteady employment. High rates were also seen in carpenters, miners, electricians and people who work in construction. Mechanics were close behind.

http://wapo.st/2992SIr?tid=ss_tw
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Locally caught freshwater fish across the United States are likely a significant source of exposure to PFOS and other perfluorinated compounds

Highlights
• PFAS are widely detected in freshwater fish across the United States.

• U.S. EPA fish testing in 2013–2015 had a median PFAS concentration of 11,800 ng/kg.

• Even infrequent freshwater fish consumption can increase serum PFOS levels.

• One fish serving can be equivalent to drinking water for a month at 48 ppt PFOS.

• Fish consumption advice regarding PFAS is inconsistent or absent in the U.S. states.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935122024926?via%3Dihub
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I'm not scared, I drank the water at Camp Lejeune <-;: No really, I did drink the water at Camp Lejeune. :o 
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Waze leads to brain haze? Here's why using real maps instead of GPS could prevent dementia

Turning off Waze or your favorite GPS app and using an old-fashioned map may be the best way to fight Alzheimer's disease, a new study reveals. Researchers at McMaster University say orienteering, an outdoor sport that exercises the mind and body through navigation puzzles, can train the brain and stave off cognitive decline. The aim of orienteering is to navigate between checkpoints or controls marked on a special map. In competitive orienteering, the challenge is to complete the course in the quickest time.

For older adults, scientists say the sport — which sharpens navigational skills and memory — could become a useful intervention measure to fight off the slow decline related to dementia onset. They believe the physical and cognitive demands of orienteering can stimulate parts of the brain our ancient ancestors used for hunting and gathering.

https://studyfinds.org/using-real-maps-prevents-alzheimers/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Biden protects vast wilderness area in Minnesota from mining
The move comes as the administration faces a string of tough decisions on federal conservation for spots in Alaska and Nevada

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The Biden administration is banning mining for 20 years in a giant watershed near Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, the president's latest effort to deliver on conservation pledges that would shape the future of America's wild lands.

The move, announced Thursday, extends a temporary decision from a year ago to block copper, nickel and other hard-rock mining that the Trump administration had tried to greenlight near the Canadian border. Officials said they determined the potential toxic leaching from mining would be too threatening to nature, local Native American communities and a growing recreation economy.

Boundary Waters is the most heavily visited wilderness area in the country, according to the Interior Department. And Thursday's decision will affect 225,000 acres of federal lands and waters in the Rainy River Watershed, which abuts the wilderness area northwest of Lake Superior.

https://wapo.st/3DnmrZz
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Land-dwelling rats are upending life for coral reef fish
When rats invade tropical islands, they can trigger a chain reaction that reverberates all the way to coral reefs, researchers say

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The jewel damselfish spends its life underwater, tending to a small patch of algae, oblivious to anything outside its coral reef home.

But the tiny fish, like a marionette, is being pulled by a distant force it does not even know exists.

A rat invasion on isolated islands in the Indian Ocean has led to a remarkable ecological cascade that is upending life not just for the tiny fish, but for species across the coral reefs where it lives.

"It's disrupting the natural order," said Rachel L. Gunn, a coral reef fish ecologist and postdoctoral fellow at Germany's University of Tuebingen.

Around the world, coral reefs are under unprecedented threat. Plastic litter and other pollution are choking fish. Overfishing is shrinking the population of sharks and other endangered animals.

And most alarmingly of all, acidifying waters and rising ocean temperatures are conspiring to dissolve and bleach the vibrant corals that sustain these ecosystems. A leading scientific body, the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, warns if Earth warms much more than 2 degrees Celsius, coral reefs will virtually disappear.

Now add rats to that mess.

https://wapo.st/3JIsOKS
me -There's a season?