News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/3950467-is-there-a-worldwide-run-on-the-bank-of-the-united-states-of-america/

QuoteIn talking this week with a friend about the United States seemingly imploding from within across multiple sectors, my friend stressed: "It's not just from within. There is a run on the United States from certain nations and business interests around the world. Just like there was a run on banks after the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, many nations are either thinking about — or actually proceeding with — transferring at least a portion of their allegiance, assets and commitments from the 'Bank of the U.S.' to the 'Bank of China' or elsewhere."

This was not just some person sitting on a porch casually talking about current events while whittling a stick waiting for his Social Security or pension check to hit the mailbox. This was a former high-level U.S. government official, now a CEO, someone who sits on the boards of directors for multiple companies. He has massive real-world and business experience and believes the United State may be on the verge of collapse.

Woolly Bugger

Our Way of Life Is Poisoning Us

There is plastic in our bodies; it's in our lungs and in our bowels and in the blood that pulses through us. We can't see it, and we can't feel it, but it is there. It is there in the water we drink and the food we eat, and even in the air that we breathe. We don't know, yet, what it's doing to us, because we have only quite recently become aware of its presence; but since we have learned of it, it has become a source of profound and multifarious cultural anxiety.

Maybe it's nothing; maybe it's fine. Maybe this jumble of fragments — bits of water bottles, tires, polystyrene packaging, microbeads from cosmetics — is washing through us and causing no particular harm. But even if that was true, there would still remain the psychological impact of the knowledge that there is plastic in our flesh. This knowledge registers, in some vague way, as apocalyptic; it has the feel of a backhanded divine vengeance, sly and poetically appropriate. Maybe this has been our fate all along, to achieve final communion with our own garbage.

The word we use, when we speak about this unsettling presence within us, is "microplastics." It's a broad category, accommodating any piece of plastic less than five millimeters, or about a fifth of an inch, in length. Much of this stuff, tiny though it is, is readily visible to the naked eye. You may have seen it in the photographs used to illustrate articles on the topic: a multitude of tiny, many-colored shards displayed on the tip of a finger, or a lurid little heap on a teaspoon. But there is also, more worryingly still, the stuff you can't see: so-called nano-plastics, which are a tiny fraction of the size of microplastics. These are capable of crossing the membranes between cells and have been observed to accumulate in the brains of fish.

We have known for a while now that they are causing harm to fish. In a study published in 2018, fish exposed to microplastics were shown to have lower levels of growth and reproduction; their offspring, even when they were not themselves exposed, were observed as also having fewer young, suggesting that the contamination lingers through the generations. In 2020, another study, at James Cook University in Australia, demonstrated that microplastics alter the behavior of fish, with higher levels of exposure resulting in fish taking more risks and, as a consequence, dying younger.

Continue Reading NY Times
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

Happy Earth Day!

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Two new species of crayfish have been revealed by a team of North Carolina scientists

Two new species of crayfish have been revealed by a team of North Carolina scientists. Among the researchers was the NC Museum of Natural Sciences' Bronwyn Williams. She spoke with WFDD's David Ford.

https://www.wfdd.org/story/two-new-species-crayfish-have-been-revealed-team-north-carolina-scientists
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Massive swarm of mayflies stuns residents at NC lake

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Residents at a North Carolina lake are still stunned by the size of a swarm of insects earlier this month.

Large groups of mayflies are known to gather around Lake Waccamaw every April, but residents said this year's massive swarm of millions of aquatic insects was the worst in 30 years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/massive-swarm-of-mayflies-stuns-residents-at-nc-lake/ar-AA1ajZRI
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

How Scotland plans to rewild its seas
The Scottish Government and Scottish Green Party have pledged to designate 10% of the country's seas as Highly Protected Marine Areas, offering depleted ecosystems a chance to bounce back. It's a complicated task.

Our boat is rocking just a few miles offshore, as we watch nature unleash a wildly dynamic display. Churning the ocean into a bubbling cauldron creatures from sea and sky dart and dive to feast on the invisible schools of mackerel and sand eels below the waves. At least seven minke whales rise and fall as seals swirl, shearwaters swoop and gannets launch missile attacks with pointed precision from above. This astonishing scene could be taking place in South Africa or New Zealand, but my boat is bobbing in the frigid North Atlantic waters of the Inner Hebrides, an archipelago off the coast of Argyll in western Scotland.

"Our marine and birdlife here is pretty spectacular," says Shane Wasik, founder of Basking Shark Scotland, which leads low-impact wildlife and water sport tours around Argyll's coastline and islands. A hotspot for the second-largest fish in the ocean, the Inner Hebrides sees large numbers of basking sharks visiting the region each summer, feeding with their huge mouths agape in the zooplankton-rich seas.

I'm on a five-day mission to find them from my guesthouse base on the Isle of Coll. We see dolphins, porpoises and whales, cruise uninhabited islands and snorkel in legendary Fingal's Cave, swim with seals and explore forests of swaying kelp and golden spaghetti seaweed: vital fish nurseries around the rocky islets of the idyllic Cairns of Coll.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/environment-and-conservation/2023/04/how-scotland-plans-to-rewild-its-seas
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Wasn't expecting nearly 5 inches of rain today. First time in over a half year the Yadkin has been blown out

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

greg

Quote from: Onslow on April 28, 2023, 20:23:42 PMWasn't expecting nearly 5 inches of rain today. First time in over a half year the Yadkin has been blown out

we had about that inch in spartanburg. Y dad had about 5 inches in his rain gauge.

Woolly Bugger

Writers on the Range: Killing fish to save frogs

Shortly after World War II, California fish managers had a brainstorm: They loaded juvenile trout into airplanes and saturation-bombed naturally fishless lakes in the High Sierra Mountains of California. Some of the fish hit rocks and ice, but most hit water.

Gorging on zooplankton, insects and two kinds of mountain yellow-legged frogs, the alien invaders unraveled aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, often in designated wilderness.

In 2014, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service listed both groups of frog as endangered, prompting aggressive action by Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. The agency plan called for eradicating trout in 110 lakes, though trout would remain in 465 park lakes and hundreds of stream miles, leaving plenty of fishing opportunity.

https://www.vaildaily.com/opinion/writers-on-the-range-killing-fish-to-save-frogs/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Local Cub Scouts makes 'sad' discovery while cleaning up local reservoir: 'It's a damn shame'

viral Reddit post highlights exactly what you don't want to find at your favorite camping spot — nearly 70 tires that were dumped into the nearby lake.

According to the post, a Cub Scout pack managed to pull the tires out of Falls Lake, which is in a state recreation area near Raleigh, North Carolina. The area offers a large variety of activities, including camping, biking, hiking, and swimming.

Unfortunately, litter in any form takes away from the beauty of nature, and it also poses a threat to the wildlife in the area — tires are no exception.

Tires can take up to 2,000 years to decompose, according to Stacker, so once they are dumped in a place like the Falls Lake, they'll be interrupting your scenic views for quite a while.

On top of that, as tires break down, they leach harmful chemicals into the ground and water. Tires are flammable as well and difficult to extinguish once they've caught fire. Having a number of them dumped in natural areas creates a fire hazard, Ecogreen reports.  /'/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/local-cub-scouts-makes-sad-discovery-while-cleaning-up-local-reservoir-it-s-a-damn-shame/ar-AA196h7z
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Muhammad Ali won a title fight in Maryland. Then he went to prom.

World heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali keeps challenger Jimmy Young up against the ropes during their championship fight at Landover, Md., on April 30, 1976. The following night, Ali surprised hundreds of teens attending prom in Prince George's County. (AP) (Associated Press)

The day after Muhammad Ali unanimously won a 15-round championship fight against Jimmy Young at the Capital Centre in Landover, Md., he stunned hundreds of Prince George's County teens when he walked into their high school prom.

It was May 1, 1976, long before such a celebrity appearance might make the rounds on social media. Few people took pictures of Ali, and no newspapers documented the visit at the time. But earlier this year, a spokesperson for the Prince George's police department happened to see photos from the prom in the house of a former Parkdale High School teacher and began sharing the tale.

Now as prom season gets underway at high schools around the D.C. metro area and beyond, attendees at the 1976 Parkdale High prom are remembering the unforgettable visit from the champ.

https://wapo.st/44DLG5R
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Baby eels remain one of America's most valuable fish after strong year in Maine

Fishermen in the U.S.'s only commercial-scale fishing industry for valuable baby eels once again had a productive season searching for the tiny fish.

Baby eels, called elvers, are often worth more than $2,000 per pound because of how valuable they are to Asian aquaculture companies. That makes them one of the most valuable fish species in the U.S. They're raised to maturity so they can be used in Japanese food, some of which is sold in the U.S. in unagi dishes at sushi restaurants.

The elvers have again been worth more than $2,000 per pound at the docks this year, according to the Maine Department of Marine Resources. The fishermen are limited to a combined quota of a little less than 10,000 pounds per year and were about through it by early May, the department said. The price was a tick below last year's, but higher than the previous two.

Fishermen this year have been aided by favorable weather and strong international demand, said Jeffrey K. Pierce, a former Maine state representative and adviser to the Maine Elver Fishermen Association. Foreign sources of baby eels have largely dried up, and that has made Maine eels more valuable in recent years.

https://apnews.com/article/23f58535fc7be7232081072b016c4929
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Find out just how bad wildfire smoke has been in your area

Smoke from wildfires in Canada brought record-breaking air pollution to the United States this spring, creating dangerous air quality from Bismarck, N.D., to Denver and Detroit to New York City.

According to a Washington Post analysis of smoke data through June 6 from Stanford University, 160 air quality monitoring stations have reported all-time high pollution from wildfires. The Post will continue to update this page as data becomes available.

https://wapo.st/3NtDBdD
me -There's a season?