News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutboy_II and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Illegal Wild Steelhead catch costs Campbell River angler $1,501

Campbell River court charged fisher under B.C. Sport Fishing Regulations

>>>B.C.'s Conservation Officer Service fined a Campbell River angler for killing a Wild Steelhead on the Quinsam River in 2019.

The species is protected from being harvested by closures throughout the province. The incident was reported to the service and to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, who started an investigation into the matter. The investigation led to charges under the B.C. Sport Fishing Regulations.

The angler was fined $1,501 in November, 2020 in Campbell River court for catching and retaining more than the daily quota. The majority ($1,500) of that fine will go to the Oyster River Enhancement society.

https://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/illegal-wild-steelhead-catch-costs-campbell-river-angler-1501/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 03, 2020, 10:32:07 AMTongass National Forest is 'America's Last Climate Sanctuary'
Opening up the Tongass National Forest to additional logging and development could have serious implications for both the environment and the Alaska Native communities that depend on it.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>When you walk into the temperate rainforest of the Tongass, a peaceful stillness greets you. The dense canopy of this misty Alaskan wilderness is made up of towering western hemlock, red and yellow cedar, and Sitka spruce trees, some of which are between 300 and 1,000 years old. Lichens adorn the trees with a mosaic of colors and textures, moss and ferns carpet the forest floor in lush green hues, and crystal-clear streams carve their way toward the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/tongass-national-forest-americas-last-climate-sanctuary/

Spent some time in that forest on Prince of Whales Island. Though it was sad to see some of the areas being clear cut, the logging roads opened up many areas to fishing that would otherwise have been inaccessible.

Onslow

https://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=329

Quotefew drenched days from the tropics' parting shot to the Southeast amounted to a wet month in North Carolina that also featured sustained warmth. That vaulted us closer to potential new annual temperature and precipitation records.

Eta's Moisture Drives Wet Weather
Capping off the hurricane season, tropical moisture from one storm almost single-handedly made it one of the wettest Novembers on record in North Carolina. According to the National Centers for Environmental Information, the preliminary statewide average precipitation of 5.93 inches ranks as our 10th-wettest November since 1895.

Among our rain events during the month, none was as heavy or as impactful as the system on November 10-12 that saw moisture from Tropical Storm Eta pulled northward ahead of a cold front. During that three-day event, totals exceeded 8 inches across the western Piedmont and northern Coastal Plain.

More rain fell on Thanksgiving from another cold front crossing the state. Totals were much lower in this event, with a maximum of about an inch-and-a-half in the southern Mountains.

The month then ended with a final frontal passage on November 30 that brought more than two inches of rain along the coast and an inch or more elsewhere.

Our Taylorsville ECONet station measured 11.31 inches of precipitation during the month, and Rocky Mount also topped the 10-inch mark with 11.69 inches total. Among that amount, 9.86 inches -- or 84% of the monthly rainfall -- fell during the Eta event.

The only part of the state that missed out on the heaviest rain last month was the far western Mountains. Murphy finished the month 2.2 inches below its normal precipitation, while Marshall received only 1.77 inches, about an inch below normal.

However, those sites still ended the climatological fall more than an inch above their normal seasonal precipitation, and parts of the western Piedmont including Hickory and Marion were more than 10 inches above normal from September through November.

Temperatures Set to Simmer
While heavy rain may have been the most noticeable part of our November weather, it was also an especially warm month across the state. NCEI's preliminary data shows the statewide average temperature of 55.2°F ranks as our 3rd-warmest November out of the past 126 years.

The warmth blanketed the entire state, from a tie for the 4th-warmest November since 1907 in Banner Elk to the 5th-warmest in both Charlotte and Raleigh to the 2nd-warmest in Elizabeth City, which recorded the highest temperature in the state last month with an 85°F high on November 11.

One main source of those September-like temperatures was high pressure over the Southeast coastline that ensured a continuing feed of warm air from the south and southwest, even after the firehose from Eta had shut off.

Wilmington recorded 20 days with high temperatures at or above 70°F -- the most there since 2001, and tied for the fourth-most in any November dating back to 1874. Laurinburg hit 70°F or higher on 21 days, which was tied for the second-most November days that warm in the past 74 years.

During the Eta-assisted rain event in the middle of the month, elevated dew points and a saturated air mass even kept the nighttime lows across the southern Piedmont and Coastal Plain in the upper 60s or low 70s -- not far from the average daytime highs for that time of the year!

While cool nights were generally hard to come by, sub-freezing temperatures on the morning of November 19 finally ended the growing season across most of eastern North Carolina except for the extreme southern coastline and the Outer Banks.

A Race for the Records?
In 2018, we wrung out North Carolina's wettest year on record. Last year, we sweated through the state's warmest year on record. Now, amid the craziness of 2020, we have a shot at breaking both records in the same year!

Through the end of November, our year-to-date statewide average precipitation total of 61.69 inches ranks as the wettest on record, a scant 0.40 inches ahead of the pace set by 2018.

The statewide average temperature through the first 11 months of the year is 62.65°F, which is the 3rd-warmest dating back to 1895, and narrowly behind 2017 (62.69°F) and 2019 (62.66°F).

So how extreme does December need to be to break both records? The answer is fairly warm and very wet. The year in 2018 ended with our 3rd-wettest December on record totaling 7.06 inches, so we need a statewide average of at least 6.67 inches this month to break the record. Only six Decembers historically -- 2018, 2015, 2009, 1983, 1973, and 1905 -- have been that wet.

With the sort of La Niña event currently in place that has historically produced drier winter weather in North Carolina, accumulating enough precipitation in the final weeks of the year to stay atop the precipitation rankings could be a tough task.

Monthly mean temperature and precipitation departures from the 1981-2010 average. Based on data from the National Centers for Environmental Information.

Our monthly temperatures need to be slightly warmer than last December, which was the state's 17th-warmest at 5.0°F above the long-term average, in order to break that record. While La Niña winters are often warmer than normal in North Carolina, the current forecast shows temperatures at or below normal over the next week, including highs in the 40s, so we may need to channel some decidedly un-December-like warmth by the holidays in order to contend for the warmest temperature title.

While two new records this year may be tough to achieve, the notion that this year is even in the same ballpark as the current record-holders is a testament to how consistently warm and wet it has been so far in 2020.

Recall that 2018 included up to three feet of rain in parts of southeastern North Carolina from Hurricane Florence, and in 2019, hundred-degree heat lasted all the way into October en route to a record-setting annual average temperature.

That's some elite company when you consider the substantial impacts in those years from flooding and heat stress, and in 2020, it has been tough to distance ourselves from them among our state's climate history.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

So someone wants unabated harvest?

Woolly Bugger

820 acres supporting old-growth forest protected in Giles, Bland counties

>>>More than 800 acres, mostly in Giles County, have been purchased by the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, protecting many forest species, including chestnut oaks that are over 300 years old, and expanding an existing natural area preserve within an important ecological forest core.

The land will be managed to protect old-growth trees and to promote nature-based carbon sequestration through proforestation — a practice of growing existing forests to their ecological potential — with the possibility of reintroducing the once dominant American chestnut (Castanea dentata) and another decimated species, the butternut tree (Juglans cinerea).

The acquisition expands the 233-acre Chestnut Ridge Natural Area Preserve by 587 acres and brings the privately owned preserve under DCR ownership.

Most of the acreage is in far western Giles County with a small section located in neighboring Bland County

https://augustafreepress.com/820-acres-supporting-old-growth-forest-protected-in-giles-bland-counties/

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Onslow

The BRP has requested that the BRP sections of Big Pine Creek and in Allegheny County no longer be stocked by the NCWRC.  Apparently the NPS prohibits the stocking of fish on their property.

Perhaps we could add our comments to the public hearing page, and lobby for a catch & release designation.

Woolly Bugger

Flagstaff History: Doney made key discoveries near cave dwellings area

>>>125 years ago
1896: B. F. Doney this week discovered a new lot of cave and cliff dwellings.]

>>>Some months ago he went into the Canyon north of Flagstaff with several burros on a prospecting trip. After about 100 miles of prospecting and finding nothing of note, he ran short of provisions and concluded he would strike out for civilization. Being unable to climb out of the Canyon at that point, he built a raft and started on down river until he reached the dangerous rapids too perilous for his raft. He then managed to climb out and reached Aubury Valley and the railroad, foot sore and half starved.

https://azdailysun.com/news/local/history/flagstaff-history-doney-made-key-discoveries-near-cave-dwellings-area/article_bcdadf88-891c-58ee-9aab-63adad8bdfac.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

SC stocks remote Upstate river with trout via helicopter

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>WALHALLA — Every year, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources stocks a remote Upstate river with trout: rainbow, brown and eastern brook.

But the Chattooga River, which comprises more than 20 miles of the northernmost border between South Carolina and Georgia, isn't an easy place to reach. It was declared a "wild and scenic" river by the U.S. Forest Service decades ago and after that happened, several accesses to the waterway via old logging roads were closed.

That's where helicopters come in.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/sc-stocks-remote-upstate-river-with-trout-via-helicopter/article_b856dc22-396c-11eb-8b47-2f1a877600ae.html
me -There's a season?

rbphoto

They've been doing helicopter stocking for several years.

I've fished as much of that river as is accessible by foot and some that probably won't be accessible unless we experience another significant drought. 

The fishing can be stellar or it can be miserable, but the river is a beautiful place to which to retreat and seek solitude.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Woolly Bugger

Nonnative fish are taking over Maine's lakes and rivers

>>>Nonnative muskies, a species more invasive than bass, can now be found throughout the St. John River system, as well as the Allagash River below Allagash Falls. By most accounts, the wild native brook trout in the St. John River and headwater lakes have all but disappeared. Once the muskies get above Allagash Falls, and they unfortunately likely will, the fabled Allagash River and some of the last large lake brook trout populations in the country will be compromised, or worse, lost.

>>>The wild native landlocked salmon in West Grand Lake and Grand Lake Stream, one of just four native populations, have been displaced by nonnative smallmouth bass. Most of the salmon now caught are stocked, due to the wild fish being unable to compete with the introduced bass. Sebago Lake, the namesake water of landlocked salmon, Salmo solar sebago, Maine's official State Fish, now has nonnative lake trout, pike, black crappie and largemouth and smallmouth bass.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/01/12/outdoors/nonnative-fish-are-taking-over-maines-lakes-and-rivers/

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: jwgnc on January 13, 2021, 23:02:35 PMNative vs Wild
https://mountainjournal.org/the-debate-over-wild-versus-native-trout?fbclid=IwAR2q87tlzRXuQ2uGuAsiDTZbmfhrCjpSp3snJA7hCTry1m7HW0S397Up8T8

"More than a century ago, America's government leaders wanted to encourage men to get back in touch with their primal abilities because they thought industrialization had diminished their masculinity, according to a new book written by a University of Colorado professor.

Their cure was to give them something to capture and kill. And so America's waterways were stocked with a fish that fought the line and gave anglers just enough of a challenge: the rainbow trout"

An Entirely Synthetic Dish

I lament the decline of native fish everywhere

me -There's a season?

troutrus

For the most part, unless you're young and spry enough to climb like a Billy goat, the best  most of us can hope for in the way of trout is wild fish.
One reason I used to enjoy saltwater was due to the thought of wild, native fish that had been around for thousands of years. Now the masses are unhappy with reduced creel limits and many are calling for increased supplemental stocking of flounder, drum, trout, etc. South Carolina has been stocking drum since the eighties. The vast majority of anglers are pleased with that, so that's the way it will be. 'Cause in the end it's all about $$$$$$$.

Woolly Bugger

Nice little video story about the Streamwalker net builder.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/human-interest/2021/01/22/honeoye-man-s-homemade-fishing-nets-are-a-hit-with-sportsmen#

>>>Getting away from it all isn't easy these days.

Leif Mermagen just makes it look like it is.

"Here we are in nature. One thing I say, 'trout don't live in ugly places,'" he said.

"I've been a salesman for as long as I can remember. And I'm good at it but it's worn me a little thin."

Leif fell for fly fishing and found a new groove.

"Just come in here. Relax. Do my thing. Make things I dig."

"My father was one of those guys who figured, 'why buy it when you can make it yourself?'"

Leaf builds every one of his "Streamwalker" nets. The kind of handcrafted outdoor gear sportsmen take everywhere.
me -There's a season?