News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I did a quick lap down the Yadkin Friday from Burch to Yadkin Shores with my son.  Did a little fishing along the way.  Didn't boat any, but had several chases near the Mitchell, but as most know, the bite can be very spotty.

The Pee Dee below Blewett Falls lake has great flows as well as the Roanoke at Roanoke Rapids. The Roanoke between Rt 42 and Weldon is a worthwhile.  Not only does it have stripers year round, it is also a great place to catch a 4-5 pound bass on topwater. The key to catching stripers this time of year is being on the water at 5:30 AM -8AM.

Onslow

It is July 6, and we're at 6 inches of rainfall for the month of July after only getting .4 in June.

Onslow

It is now the 7th, and the rainfall total for the month is now over 9 inches.  We just had 2 inches in 15 minutes, 3 inches total in about 30 minutes.  I've never seen rain like this.  This is insanity. I don't even want to look in the basement.

Onslow

11 inches of rain in Elkin for July thus far.....

Phil

Quote from: Onslow on July 10, 2022, 16:23:46 PM11 inches of rain in Elkin for July thus far.....

Pretty weird how localized it can be. We finally got 2 1/2 inches this morning and today, but have had very little this month until this rain. Also, almost none in June. Other areas around us have gotten several heavy storms recently that have passed us by with hardly a drop.

Onslow

While working at OKI today, I glanced down at the golf course pond about 15 yards away, and damn,a 10-11 foot gator that probably weighed 400 was cruising on the top. Later in the day, a young lady reached in to grab a ball.  Just a matter of time.  The head on that thing is as wide ad my chest.

Onslow

One gaging site on the NF Kentucky crested at a flow exceeding 50k. This rate of flow is around 500 cfs per sq mile. This is on par with the intensity of flooding experienced in Amherst county VA after hurricane Camille. Most watersheds do not exceed 100-200 cfs per sq mile flows, especially large ones such as this.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

FYI, new front load washers of nearly all makes and models have piss poor water discharge pumps.  In other words, if you have soiled clothes, take them to the laundromat. I seriously thinking about purchasing a hand crank ringer washer being I'm tired of dealing with poorly designed and constructed washers.

Fridge interface panel is gone too.  Had it for three months. $2.7K POS GE. I may not have an ice maker for 3 months, and have no room for ice trays. I'm missing the old school fridges.

Woolly Bugger

I went with a top loader - no complaints
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Top load washer and dryer plus a fridge with no ice maker bought new a year ago. No complaints so far -- keeping fingers crossed. I don't, however, expect them to last 25 years like my last appliances. New stuff is shit.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on August 03, 2022, 19:46:02 PMFYI, new front load washers of nearly all makes and models have piss poor water discharge pumps.  In other words, if you have soiled clothes, take them to the laundromat. I seriously thinking about purchasing a hand crank ringer washer being I'm tired of dealing with poorly designed and constructed washers.

Fridge interface panel is gone too.  Had it for three months. $2.7K POS GE. I may not have an ice maker for 3 months, and have no room for ice trays. I'm missing the old school fridges.

You know I can help you with anything furniture/appliance related. If you have any issue all you have to do is call to have it serviced in the home. Old-fashioned service, dude.

Also, whether you go with top-load or front-load, you need to purchase Speed Queen. The best BY FAR in the business. And still made in the USA. Also, backed with a very lengthy, impeccable warranty that no other brand will give you.

Let me know if I can help. Still free delivery and setup and disposal. Good luck.

As for the rest of you fellas, anything furniture/appliance/bedding related, I'll hook you up. It's what I do.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on August 03, 2022, 19:46:02 PMFYI, new front load washers of nearly all makes and models have piss poor water discharge pumps.  In other words, if you have soiled clothes, take them to the laundromat. I seriously thinking about purchasing a hand crank ringer washer being I'm tired of dealing with poorly designed and constructed washers.

We purchased a LG Combination Washer Dryer in early 2017, a front loader.  We needed the space, no room for 2 "white metal boxes". 

It seems to be working fine.  I have no idea if it thoroughly cleans our clothes, and honestly don't care.  If I can't smell myself then I assume clothes and body are tidy, acknowledging that with age comes the loss of smell.  Also, I have no clue if the Mrs. is clean and wearing fresh clothes; we rarely are close enough to tell.

I do think the LG Combo uses less H2O and seems to be energy efficient. 

I believe I have a hand ringer washer stored in my old granary.  If I can locate it, I'll let you know.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

None of the newfangled contraptions seem to hold up like the old stuff.

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

Macro photography: The hidden world of garden insects https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-62425367
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!