News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyFisher22, Onslow, troutboy_II and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

The newest way to float down the James River is 200 years old

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>n Central Virginia, when you tell someone you're going to float the river, that typically means you're hitting the James on an inflatable tube with a cooler full of beer in tow. But now a new tour company is offering a bygone way to travel in a vessel that ruled the river's rapids more than 200 years ago.

In the late 18th and 19th centuries, bateaux, flat-bottomed pole boats, navigated the tempestuous James, bringing cash crops such as tobacco, flour and later coal to the Eastern Seaboard. One of the first references to this economically transformative armada was written by Thomas Jefferson in 1775 when he noted in his diary that one bateau could carry 11 hogsheads or 11,000 pounds of tightly packed tobacco. An enormous shift from the costly and exhausting process of rolling hogshead barrels by land over bumpy roads behind oxen, bateaux would help open the Virginia frontier and fill the pockets of the farmers who stocked them.

Doing the heavy lifting, however, were crew members — usually enslaved people, freedmen or poor White people — extraordinary watermen who poled their flotillas to market in Richmond. In fact, between 1820 and 1840, some 1,500 bateaumen operated 500 boats along the river. Today, outdoor and history enthusiasts annually re-create their journey each June from Lynchburg to Maidens during the eight-day James River Batteau Festival.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/03/10/james-river-bateau-virginia/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

"There's an app for that!"

Road to table: Wyoming's got a new app for claiming roadkill

>>> LANDER, Wyo. (AP) — The aroma of sizzling meat in melted butter wafts from a cast iron pan while Jaden Bales shows his favorite way to cook up the best steak cuts from a big game animal.

The deep red backstrap pieces, similar to filet mignon of beef, are organic and could hardly be more local. They're from a mule deer hit by a car just down the road from Bales' rustic home in a cottonwood grove beneath the craggy Wind River Range.

Bales was able to claim the deer thanks to a new state of Wyoming mobile app that's helping get the meat from animals killed in fender benders from road to table and in the process making roads safer for critters.

State wildlife and highway officials rolled out the app — possibly the first of its kind in the U.S. — this winter when Wyoming joined the 30 or so states that allow people to collect roadkill for food.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-lander-wyoming-animals-lifestyle-47a2c9bc266d5b52f724fd2126bfc366
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout-r-us

One of the Eden river outfitters used to have a bateau and would offer trips down the Dan R.  Last I saw it was under water at the Hamilton St canoe access in Eden a number of years ago.
Downtown Eden also had a nice mural showing a historic depiction of river transport. A few years ago it was removed and replaced with another mural. I liked the old one better, but I don't recall being asked for my opinion. 🤔
Just another piece of Eden history gone by the wayside.
https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=63054
You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

While speaking with a customer at Smith Mt lake today, 30 plus carp were spotted in a cove getting a sun tan. They were punes, but.....carp season is back!!

trout-r-us

Quote from: Onslow on March 15, 2022, 20:02:55 PMWhile speaking with a customer at Smith Mt lake today, 30 plus carp were spotted in a cove getting a sun tan. They were punes, but.....carp season is back!!

Those SML carps are a real challenge on the fly. Many have been reared on hot dog and hamburger buns, corn chips, popcorn and cracker jacks. I've been at cookouts up there where pretty much any kind of people food was scoffed up immediately, but getting them to take my flies was extremely frustrating. Perhaps a popcorn imitation would be the ticket.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

To all the Micks out there.
"May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future"
                                 (Old Irish blessing)

― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on March 18, 2022, 06:42:21 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 17, 2022, 08:54:14 AMFascinating stuff!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/extinct-human-species-how-different-were-they-from-us/ss-AAVbCfY?ocid=msedgntp

I wonder if they've all had as much desire as we to eliminate one another. 🙁

I doubt it.  There were far fewer of them, and much more space to meander about. 

Plus, they surely must have got along because they fornicated with each other and their similar species, and many of us even today carry those traits.  This is something I knew at an early age from attending that Methodist church and reaffirmed later in life after meeting some of my first wife's relatives.  My hunch is they were more understanding, compassionate, and randy towards each other and other species than modern Homo sapiens.  Think about it, how many of us would engage in coitus with Marjorie Taylor Greene?

http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/anthropology/humans-hominin-introgression-07438.html

https://www.history.com/news/denisovans-interbreeding-discovery
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 18, 2022, 08:08:41 AMThink about it, how many of us would engage in coitus with Marjorie Taylor Greene?

any port in a storm....
me -There's a season?

jwgnc

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 18, 2022, 09:17:00 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 18, 2022, 08:08:41 AMThink about it, how many of us would engage in coitus with Marjorie Taylor Greene?

any port in a storm....
I've known guys who would fu(k a wood pile if they thought there was a rabbit in it.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

Plan to reconnect the Colorado River for the first time since 1985 gets major donation
Plan championed by Trout Unlimited for 1-mile channel around Windy Gap Reservoir would restore flows and allow fish passage

>>>brand new stretch of the Colorado River is closer to reality in Grand County.

A $2 million donation by PepsiCo has pushed a consortium led by Trout Unlimited closer to its $27.1 million plan to build a 1-mile channel around the Windy Gap Reservoir, which has blocked fish passage and separated the river since it was built in 1985.

"It's a very generous contribution," said Mely Whiting, the attorney for Trout Unlimited who has led the Colorado River Headwaters Connectivity Project for more than a decade. "We are close. So close to a new mile of the Colorado River."

Northern Water's Windy Gap Reservoir has never been popular. It cuts the Colorado River in half, preventing unfettered flows and injuring trout populations. In the early 2000s, biologists found Windy Gap Reservoir, below Granby, harbored the worms with the parasites that cause whirling disease and was a major contributor to infecting wild rainbow trout populations in the Upper Colorado River.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/03/22/colorado-river-connectivity-project-windy-gap/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Six endangered foods worth saving

Volumes of these historic and valuable crops and livestock have been decimated in recent years. But the fightback to save them is on

• Bere barley
  • Wild Atlantic salmon
  • Middle White pig
  • Stichelton cheese
  • Perry
  • Fava bean

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/six-endangered-foods-worth-saving/665998.article
[/list]
me -There's a season?