News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Helping out the trout at Canyon Creek

Built to carry 100-year floods, the concrete rectangular tube flows with huge velocity during spring runoff, but is barely inches deep with water in fall. This creates problems for brown trout during low flow, as they struggle to swim the culvert. Rainbow trout spawn in the spring and are also affected, with flow velocities preventing some from getting through. During spawning, hundreds of trout stack up in the pool below the culvert. The mouth of the creek has fishing closures in spring and fall to protect these reproducing fish.

To fix the problem, the project's engineer modeled different features for the floor of the culvert to determine how to simultaneously slow flows and make them deeper. The best model called for a combination of hemispheres and baffles that create a less direct flow of water and help water pool. Baffles resemble the tire stops common in parking lots. In this case, the contractor cast more than 300 hemispheres and more than 20 baffles. Both shapes were cast in concrete off site, and then later glued and grouted into the floor of the culvert.

https://www.soprissun.com/2021/12/08/helping-out-the-trout-at-canyon-creek/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

And that's why I didn't got fishing today
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

My brother in law's pet bull died.  Tis a very sad day.

Dee's devotion to the cattle in the community (Evant TX) is second to none.  He did not loose one head during last year's freakish freeze.  He hauled and carried water day and night.

trout-r-us

"A giant bull moose spent an hour trampling a dog sled team in Alaska even after the owner emptied her gun into the animal.
Bridgett Watkins and her team of dogs were attacked by the moose last week while on a 52-mile run. Three dogs needed surgery.
Musher advice; carry a bigger gun."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/giant-moose-tramples-dog-sled-182028294.html
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

greg

Damn that would be scary.

Dougfish

For my zip code:
Tomorrow's daylight will be 2 minutes and 14 seconds longer than today.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Dougfish on February 17, 2022, 19:03:39 PMFor my zip code:
Tomorrow's daylight will be 2 minutes and 14 seconds longer than today.

Tomorrow may have 2 minutes and 14 seconds more of daylight, but it will be the same length as every other day, 24 hours. <-;:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Are the friars getting baked?

I've not listened to or entertained any person of religion in many moons, except maybe Big J on occasion. 

Now, I would heed a ripped friar.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/catholic-church-filed-lawsuit-over-permeating-odor-of-cannabis-smoke/ar-AAU2BSD?ocid=msedgntp
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

Although content size may have shrunk on some items over the years, they hung in there for a long time, and for that they have earned my loyalty. Ten bits for a loaf of bread is still a pretty good deal in this day and age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/business/dollar-tree-price-increase.html#:~:text=Dollar%20Tree%20will%20raise%20the%20prices%20of%20most,a%20successful%20test%20of%20the%20new%20pricing%20strategy.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

It feels like 1979 all over again.  Inflation, social chaos, high crime, and heavy equipment heading to DC.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This is interesting.  Sounds great if it works, and there are no unforeseen ecosystem woes.  Seems a bit risky to me, because as the article states, "Once released into the environment, genetically engineered mosquitoes cannot be recalled."

I worked with radioactive Aedes aegypti years ago on a project at Oak Ridge TN, but it was in a controlled, isolated lab.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/billions-of-genetically-modified-male-mosquitos-will-be-released/ar-AAUTfrV?ocid=msedgntp
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

I hope it works. I have some around my house that can stand flat footed and screw a turkey.  :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski