As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Keith,
You might have to start counting fish.

https://mattlabash.substack.com/p/fish-syphus?r=1emko&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on October 22, 2021, 20:23:46 PMKeith,
You might have to start counting fish.

I don't have that many fingers and toes
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I always chuckle a little bit when someone tells me they caught 57, 72, 91 or some number like that. How in the hell can you remember the exact number when the catching is that good. They all kinda run together for me when the numbers get over a dozen or so. I might remember the best couple of fish, but short of having some type of counting device there's no way. At this point I couldn't remember to click the counting device ever time.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 23, 2021, 01:12:26 AMI always chuckle a little bit when someone tells me they caught 57, 72, 91 or some number like that. How in the hell can you remember the exact number when the catching is that good. They all kinda run together for me when the numbers get over a dozen or so. I might remember the best couple of fish, but short of haveing some type of counting device there's no way. At this point I couldn't remember to click the counting device ever time.

I know some one, Fred, who uses a counter, jis say'im

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Yallerhammer

I don't count fish. Except the ones I knock in the head to fry or grill, and that's because I don't wanna go to jail over an 8" rainbow.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 23, 2021, 16:20:44 PMI don't count fish. Except the ones I knock in the head to fry or grill, and that's because I don't wanna go to jail over an 8" rainbow.

You're just keeping count so you know when to go back to the car and drop that first limit off :P
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

'Shoot it if possible': Bobcat attacks cattle, dog, 2 people in Grayson County, VA, sheriff says

Two people were bitten by a bobcat in Grayson County, Virginia, on Wednesday.

The bobcat reportedly attacked cattle, a dog and bit two people. One victim was flown to the hospital by helicopter, the sheriff said.

Officers searched the Flat Ridge area but did not locate the animal.

"Residents in the area were warned to be on the lookout for the bobcat and to shoot it if possible," the sheriff said Thursday.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/bobcat-attacks-cattle-dog-grayson-county-virginia/38090488#
WXII video news reporter says coyote so its either a bobcat or a coyote ....

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Rabies, probably a black panther.
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

This is an article about my Scottish relative

IAIN WILSON IS MANAGER OF THE FISHING DEPARTMENT AT THE Borders Gunroom in St Boswells on the River Tweed. He's a great catcher of salmon but is best known as the man behind the much-Ioved Posh Tosh salmon fly. He was born in East Kilbride. Tragically, his father died when he was just three years old, leaving his mother to raise three children on a war widow's pension.
He lost his mother when he was 17 and moved in with his elder sister Elaine. As a child, Iain always loved the outdoors, spending any and all unsupervised time chasing trout in the River Calder, occasionally resulting in a free ride home from the police, a knock on the door and "Is this yours?" Recognising this passion, Elaine steered Iain to the Borders college to study for a iife in the corlntryside.
A work placement at the Bemersyde beat followed as a seasonal gillie under the tutelage of Eric Stevenson and Ian Farr. Iain netted a 4Olzlb salmon for Mr Ken Beattie in October 1989, which he said was "Huge. The biggest I've ever seen." A deep connection to the river and the Borders landscape had been sparked.
Iain and I fi.rst met on Deeside, at the Invery & Tilquhillie beat, as weeagerly awaited the first cast of a new season.

download the rest of the article here: You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I was about 30 before I realized everybody is fucked up to some degree. Never worried much about it since then.
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Some time ago, a collection of Fulbright scholars from Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Mali, and India came to visit my wife's classroom and others within the school.  She is a heavily involved with UNC World View and pretty much runs the global ed program at her school.  During the course of interactions, agreements were made to conduct zoom meetings with classrooms around the world.  Yesterday, some of the students at our backwater local school had the opportunity to share a class meeting with a Russian English class.  This Russian school was located about 40 miles north of Moscow. The pupils were well dressed and groomed, and spoke clear English, and the teacher was quite rigid, but very determined and focused. The Americans involved in this meeting came away being both intrigued, and a bit sad.  The Russians were multilingual, looked and sounded far more professional than the locals. This experience was a gut punch for some, but the local lads are craving for more interaction with other youth all over the globe.   American youth needs more of this type of interaction. It was kind of the Russians to agree to meet at 7 PM their time.

trout-r-us

https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-next-great-casualty-of-climate-change-could-be-global-fishing-stocks-203726802.html

"Fifteen years ago in rural parts of the state, people would say, 'Oh, this is just some Ivy League invention,'" Merkley said. Today those same constituents, many of whom are fishermen, understand that "the trout streams were warmer and smaller, and it affects them."

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Onslow

Jeff J aka Fish Whisperer hammered the largemouth today on one of NC's Piedmont rivers. Look for dark deep pools where the bottom cannot be seen.  24 were caught, mostly on the long rod.  Full sink with clousers, deceivers, or whatever looks like a baitfish.  Crappies are hitting large woolly buggers. Largest bass hooked was about 4 pounds.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Onslow on December 04, 2021, 19:25:17 PMJeff J aka Fish Whisperer hammered the largemouth today on one of NC's Piedmont rivers. Look for dark deep pools where the bottom cannot be seen.  24 were caught, mostly on the long rod.  Full sink with clousers, deceivers, or whatever looks like a baitfish.  Crappies are hitting large woolly buggers. Largest bass hooked was about 4 pounds.

I seen that. Fun stuff.