News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Pawpaw trees being planted!

"We received several, over-ripe pawpaw fruit form one of our easement landowners this week. The American pawpaw is a tree native to our area that produces the largest edible fruit native to the US and it is often compared to banana or mango. They are commonly found  growing in fertile bottomlands along rivers and streams in WNC The fruit begins to ripen in September and October and are enjoyed by a variety of wildlife, including humans. The larvae of the zebra swallowtail butterfly also feed exclusively on the leaves of American pawpaw trees.

FCNC staff and volunteers spent the morning sifting through the fruit for eh large brown seeds contained within. The seeds were cleaned and placed onto moist paper towels in a large Ziplock bag and will be stored in the refrigerator for at least 120 days in moist, cold storage to mimic the natural conditions of spending the winter on the forest floor. Next spring FCNC staff will plant the seeds on some of its Preserve lands along the Henery Fork River in Burke County."

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I just watched this the other day.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on September 22, 2021, 13:39:58 PMI just watched this the other day.

I just cut in half and pick the seeds out and scoop the fruit with fingers or spoon...

the other day the bunch I collected were too ripe and gushy (i think the guy with the swollen balls friend's cousin, sang a song about that?)
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

PHOTOS: Old moonshine stills of Stone Mountain State Park

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Bob Hillyer of Elkin Valley Trails Association, looks inside a four-tank, submarine-style moonshine still on the banks of Garden Creek, Tuesday, May 18, 2021 in Stone Mountain State Park. A group of hikers have found more than 120 former moonshine stills in the park, most of which were destroyed by revenuers. Hillyer and fellow EVTA member Joe Mickey will lead still hikes on Thursday and Friday during N.C. Trail Days, which runs June 3-6.

for more photos...

https://journalnow.com/news/local/history/photos-old-moonshine-stills-of-stone-mountain-state-park/collection_96a72d46-bd6c-11eb-8330-a7353b45a97b.html#2

>>>Joe Mickey and Bob Hillyer often stumble upon surprises when they venture off the marked trails in Stone Mountain State Park, and not all of them involve snakes and bears.

WATCH NOW: Stone Moutain stills: Bob Hillyer Video

The two men have developed a nose for finding rusted barrels, jerry cans, yeast containers and other remnants of the area's extensive moonshine history scattered in the folds of the park's 14,300 acres. Over the last 30-plus years, they have discovered and subsequently catalogued about 200 abandoned moonshine sites, most of which are on unmarked trails.

On Thursday and Friday, Hillyer will lead two-mile guided hikes off Garden Creek that will swing past about 10 different sites in the park as part of N.C. Trail Days, a four-day festival in Elkin that celebrates the area's parks and trail

https://journalnow.com/news/local/history/old-moonshine-stills-are-focus-of-guided-hikes-in-stone-mountain-state-park/article_df544790-ba51-11eb-9b33-6795534fe2d9.html
me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

There is still so much liquor that comes out of that general area.

Woolly Bugger

American bumblebee could be officially declared endangered

The species' population has dropped by 89% in the past 20 years.

>>>According to the CBD, the American bumblebee — a vital pollinator of wildflowers and crops across North America — has completely vanished from eight U.S. states — Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon and Wyoming — and in New York state, the species has experienced a population decline of 99%. In 19 other states across the Southeast and Midwest, populations have dropped by more than 50%.

"The American bumblebee was once the most common bumblebee species in North America, but without immediate action to protect it under the ESA, it will continue its alarming decline towards extinction," the petition authors wrote.

The bumblebee's decline is attributed to habitat destruction, exposure to disease and pesticides, climate change, loss of genetic diversity and competition with non-native bees, according to the CBD. In fact, the states with the largest declines in American bumblebee populations "are the same states that have seen the largest quantified increase in pesticide use, including neonicotinoid insecticides and fungicides."

https://www.livescience.com/american-bumblebee-endangered
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 02, 2021, 20:06:22 PMAmerican bumblebee could be officially declared endangered

>>>According to the CBD, the American bumblebee — a vital pollinator of wildflowers and crops across North America — has completely vanished from eight U.S. states — Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon and Wyoming — and in New York state, the species has experienced a population decline of 99%. In 19 other states across the Southeast and Midwest, populations have dropped by more than 50%.

"The American bumblebee was once the most common bumblebee species in North America, but without immediate action to protect it under the ESA, it will continue its alarming decline towards extinction," the petition authors wrote.

The bumblebee's decline is attributed to habitat destruction, exposure to disease and pesticides, climate change, loss of genetic diversity and competition with non-native bees, according to the CBD. In fact, the states with the largest declines in American bumblebee populations "are the same states that have seen the largest quantified increase in pesticide use, including neonicotinoid insecticides and fungicides."

Plant gardens the benefit Monarchs, native pollinators. Bumbles love garlic chives, stevia, and many other plants we enjoy as well. Bumbles are far from extinct at my place.

Woolly Bugger

Fly Fishing Invented 13,000 Years Ago on the Banks of the Jordan River
The people's manufacture of hooks from animal bones or ivory, for fly fishing or otherwise, was extraordinary. These were the last hunter-gatherers in Israel

And from about 13,000 years ago, they were engaging in advanced fly fishing, says the international team exploring the site, which is called Jordan River Dureijat. The report by Prof. Gonen Sharon of Tel-Hai College in the Galilee and his colleagues appears in the journal PLOS One.

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium-fly-fishing-invented-13-000-years-ago-on-the-banks-of-the-jordan-river-1.10272609

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

another article...

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/israel-ancient-fishing-tools/
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 02, 2021, 20:06:22 PMAmerican bumblebee could be officially declared endangered

Still plenty of them around here.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

A long-fought battle for public access to a road leading into the Jefferson National Forest has made its way to the Smyth County Court House.

In a complaint filed in circuit court last Tuesday, Friends of Glade Mountain have asked a judge to declare a .3-mile section of Glade Mountain Road in Atkins a public roadway.

According to the complaint, the public enjoyed access to the road for several decades, saying that the Virginia Department of Transportation maintained the road from approximately 1930 until at least 2007 and that the U.S. Forest Service also maintained the road for a time.

https://swvatoday.com/news/article_c182bf74-c79b-11eb-9685-4bca6a3124b6.html?fbclid=IwAR3jU8MDA7M0nJkxJcur98SPi3FtTNE6Di7_7eAYP56Owqh8MAlLiLCgHPU
me -There's a season?

jwgnc

You cannot view this attachment.

Sept. 29 press release from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services explains ...
The department announced it's working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture "to help prevent the spread of rabies by distributing oral rabies vaccine for wild raccoons along western North Carolina's borders with Tennessee, Georgia and Virginia."
"This bait-drop vaccine program has been shown effective in reducing the number of rabid raccoons and other animals," the department's release stated. "In the past 10 months, Macon County has had 14 confirmed cases of animals with rabies, which is a large increase from previous years."
The bait drop in Macon County should wrap up Oct. 20. Macon notes the vaccines are also effective with foxes and coyotes.
"The vaccine has been shown to be safe in over 60 different species of animals, including domestic dogs and cats," the county states.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

Now we need to do a doughnut drop for the cops who won't get the vaccine!
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Rabies is bad again this year. I remember a couple of years ago when the cops went door to door asking about your dogs and wanting to see proof of vaccine. Guess soon it will be Covid vaccine proof.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski