News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

unlimited odds and ends

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 13, 2020, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

I go through alot of 6X flouro.......... :P
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Send me the money or the 3 extra spools and I'll take care of it. <-;: I've been meaning to try that brand. I love how the hypocrites that laugh at and mock religion want to talk about karma :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Trout Maharishi

6X kills, or so I was told a few years back. It didn't seem to matter that the new 6X was as strong as the 3X mono of the 80's /'/
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

A fly shop was selling through Amazon and 1) they shouldn't have to "pay" for a pickers mistake! 2) all were 100 meters 3) I couldn't use that much 4) 6x doesn't kill fish, neither does 7x - warm water and bad playing / handling does 5) too late, I made my decision - easy since Amazon returns don't require packaging — just drop off at UPS in this case 6)need karma more that $120 worth of fluorocarbon

You cannot view this attachment.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

*Note- I didn't say 6X kills, I was told that and heard it parroted on another fly fishing forum some years ago.  d:b Nothing else swims < sz20 flies as naturally. If I remember right Orvis 3X mono in the 80's was 2.5.lb?  A lot of time when a fly shop sells on Amazon the stuff is shipped directly from the fly shop. So someone in a fly shop may have done that, I don't know ? I bet you could get a pro deal on a lot of stuff if you mention your prowess of fly fishing and influence :bow
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

You did the right thing, I think most of us try to. I was wrong about the 3X from the 80's, It may actually be from the early 90's but it's 3.5 lbs not 2.5. Somewhere about then the tippet materials chaged packaging and the stuff got a lot stronger 3X is goat rope now days. Still basically the same as the 6X we use today. I remember Orvis stuff was about as good as you could buy back then.
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: troutrus on August 17, 2021, 04:40:05 AMIntegrity is a vanishing quality.
Kudos!   'c;

Given the chance 83.47% of people will do the right thing :laugh: Just kidding TRU, I was just messing around, as I am 93.26% of the time d:b  I think the average working Joe in America still has good intentions, I still think most people are still good people.
― Charles Bukowski

Stone-Man

Guru,  Probably I was the one that posted (years ago) that 7X kills. I never have thought that 6X was a killer. I still throw 6X,but have not thrown 7X in probably 16-18 years.  I use 4X floro in the creeks. Just for your info.  Maybe I need to get some more info on 6.5 X floro for the tailraces

JT

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Stone-Man on August 17, 2021, 16:49:20 PMGuru,  Probably I was the one that posted (years ago) that 7X kills. I never have thought that 6X was a killer. I still throw 6X,but have not thrown 7X in probably 16-18 years.  I use 4X floro in the creeks. Just for your info.  Maybe I need to get some more info on 6.5 X floro for the tailraces

JT

Stone Man I have no idea who said what :P I just remember there was a lot of agreement. :laugh:  I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days now :P I was only trying to point out the improvements in tippet strengths. Heck 4x use to be basically 2-2.5lbs. The only time I fish 6X is when I'm fishing the really small stuff <18's. I'm too heavy handed for 7X and tend to fish faster rods. 6X won't turn over larger bushy dry flies right for me, probably because I fish  longer leaders and faster rods. I bet if I fished fiberglass,bamboo, or the longer softer Euro rods I could get by with 7X. 4-5x works fine for most of the fishing and size flies I use. I always fish the largest tippet I can get by with. For streamers I use a straight piece of 10-12lb fluro from a larger spool like bass fisherman use, lots cheaper. Streamer fish generally aren't tippet shy. ;D
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Fukushima nuclear water to be released via undersea tunnel

TOKYO (AP) — The operator of the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant said Wednesday it plans to build an undersea tunnel so that massive amounts of treated but still radioactive water can be released into the ocean about 1 kilometer (0.6 mile) away from the plant to avoid interference with local fishing.

Increasing amounts of radioactive water have been stored in about 1,000 tanks at the Fukushima Daiichi plant since 2011, when a massive earthquake and tsunami damaged three reactors and their cooling water became contaminated and began leaking. The plant says the tanks will reach their capacity late next year.

The government decided in April to start discharging the water, after further treatment and dilution, into the Pacific Ocean in spring 2023 under safety standards set by regulators. The idea has been fiercely opposed by fishermen, residents and neighboring countries including China and South Korea.

TEPCO plans to dilute the contaminate water with large amounts of seawater to reduce the concentration of radioactive materials below allowable limits. Plant workers are to sample the water ahead of its release and examine samples of seawater from multiple locations daily. Japan has obtained the International Atomic Energy Agency's agreement to cooperate in the water sampling and monitoring.

The controlled release, with an annual cap on radioactive materials, will continue for about 30 years, or until the plant's decommissioning ends, Matsumoto said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fukushima-nuclear-water-to-be-released-via-undersea-tunnel/ar-AANJu9Y?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

in other radioactive news...

https://thebulletin.org/2021/08/rebranding-chernobyl/

Chernobyl's nuclear fuel is smoldering again and there's a 'possibility' of another accident, scientists say

Nuclear reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses deep inside an unreachable basement room of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, LiveScience reported.

A rising number of neutrons can signal new fission reactions. Researchers at the catastrophic 1986 explosion site have recently detected a steady spike in neutron numbers in an underground room called 305/2, LiveScience said.

The radioactive waste is smoldering "like the embers in a barbecue pit," Neil Hyatt, a professor of nuclear materials science and engineering at the University of Sheffield, told Science magazine.

And it's possible, according to scientists, that the embers could fully ignite and result in another explosion. "There are many uncertainties," Maxim Saveliev, a senior researcher with the Institute for Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Plants (ISPNPP) in Kyiv, Ukraine, told Science. "But we can't rule out the possibility of [an] accident."

https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-nuclear-fuel-smolders-again-another-accident-is-possible-2021-5

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I've watched HBO mini series twice on Chernobyl and it's scarier each time.

In case you haven't been keeping up with the ongoing battle to "decommission" the plant here is the BBC's documentary on the latest entombing structure to encapsulate the crumbling stop-gap emergency sarcophagus.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

following today's rabbit hole ---

Before Chernobyl: the secrets that paved the way for disaster
Adam Higginbotham examines how secrets and suppression of news in the Soviet nuclear programme paved the way for a sequence of increasingly catastrophic accidents

>>>Waste Tank #14 was an underground silo filled with highly radioactive slurry, an intensely toxic by-product of plutonium processing for atomic weapons. When internal cooling and temperature-monitoring systems failed, the tank boiled dry. The resulting blast was so powerful that it hurled the tank's 160-tonne lid 20 metres into the air, blew out the windows of the convicts' barracks, and sent a pillar of dust and smoke soaring over half a mile into the sky.

Grey radioactive ash blanketed the nearby industrial zone. Soldiers labouring there were soon admitted to hospital, suffering bleeding and vomiting. By the time the senior management of the Mayak plant became aware of the catastrophic accident, 74 million gigabecquerels of radioactive contamination had begun to drift over the surrounding Chelyabinsk Oblast (province) and east across the Urals in a deadly swathe nearly four miles wide and 30 miles long.

The next day, as light rain and thick black snow fell on the peasant settlements beyond the wire, military 'liquidation' of the accident began. Soldiers used shovels to toss pieces of the shattered storage tank into a nearby swamp. Eventually, more than 10,000 people were evacuated from the surrounding countryside – but only after they had been instructed to harvest their crops and bury them. Troops herded cattle into open pits and shot them. Entire villages were ploughed into the ground, and as many as half a million men, women and children were exposed to dangerous levels of radioactivity.

read://https_www.historyextra.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.historyextra.com%2Fperiod%2F20th-century%2Fchernobyl-soviet-nuclear-accidents%2F
me -There's a season?

Phil

:o  :o  b';
Gawd. I cannot hit "like" button on those reports. Thanks for posting them nevertheless.