News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Climate change?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, March 08, 2013, 10:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 27, 2023, 13:06:13 PMOne of the most intense El Niños ever observed could be forming
An experimental forecast from scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research calls for a 'super' El Niño by winter

'Super' El Niño woulda been a great game title for Nintendo back in the 80's.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on September 28, 2023, 08:17:29 AM'Super' El Niño woulda been a great game title for Nintendo back in the 80's.

Should be "El Niño Fenomenal" or "El Niño Grande"
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Amusing, alarming, and sad.

Jesse Ferguson wrote, "REMINDER: She is in control of the GOP Congress." Journalist Laura Basset wrote, "Should we institute a minimum IQ situation for holding public office?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/marjorie-taylor-greene-slams-climate-change-by-questioning-if-people-paid-taxes-during-the-ice-age-and-many-wonder-if-this-is-the-moron-age/ss-AA1imtyw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=44381dffe6294ee596468724220a3a14&ei=75

PS: As 1 of the moderators of the local county debate, I must say it went very well, and as expected it was worth the price of admission. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

maybe MTG's brain is already fried.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

driver

Whelp, another reason not to go to Texas

Woolly Bugger

Global heat: Extreme autumn sets up 2023 to break records https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67332791

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A flood-prone historic site decides to live with rising water rather than fight it

Another high tide, and retired Navy Capt. Terry Bragg wades from his office into a flooded parking lot in the rain boots he always keeps close at hand.
Around him, the water on this otherwise ordinary Tuesday creeps over concrete sea walls and fills drainage ditches. It covers swaths of grass and swallows most of a nearby fire hydrant. It devours stretches of sidewalk and inches past dead and dying oak trees hung with Spanish moss, their leafless limbs an unmistakable sign of their roots' constant exposure to saltwater.

https://wapo.st/3vdXSNk

me -There's a season?

Onslow

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/earthlings-take-note-the-sun-will-be-its-most-active-in-two-decades/ar-AA1mWCUk?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=1c4ee6947f9b4187bf35ca79b40ea435&ei=37

About 4-5 years from now, global temps will reflect this increase in activity.

I was under the impression the intensity of solar activity was predicted to diminish somewhat in the coming decades.

Woolly Bugger

Greenland losing 30m tonnes of ice an hour, study reveals

Total is 20% higher than thought and may have implications for collapse of globally important north Atlantic ocean currents

The Greenland ice cap is losing an average of 30m tonnes of ice an hour due to the climate crisis, a study has revealed, which is 20% more than was previously thought.

Some scientists are concerned that this additional source of freshwater pouring into the north Atlantic might mean a collapse of the ocean currents called the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc) is closer to being triggered, with severe consequences for humanity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/greenland-losing-30m-tonnes-of-ice-an-hour-study-reveals

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Rogue waves crashed over Roi Namur in the Marshall Islands flooding 3/4 of the island and knocking out facilities. Personnel was moved to Kwajalein until repairs can be completed.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Climate change is altering Earth's rotation enough to mess with our clocks

The melting of polar ice due to global warming is affecting Earth's rotation and could have an impact on precision timekeeping, according to a paper published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

The planet is not about to jerk to a halt, nor speed up so rapidly that everyone gets flung into space. But timekeeping is an exact science in a highly technological society, which is why global authorities more than half a century ago felt compelled by the slight changes in Earth's rotation to invent the concept of the "leap second."

Climate change is now making these calculations even more complicated: In just a few years it may be necessary to insert a "negative leap second" into the calendar to get the planet's rotation in sync with Coordinated Universal Time.

https://wapo.st/43yVFJq
me -There's a season?