As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Why so Many Wasps?

Started by troutrus, August 26, 2020, 19:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmadd

Also, this thread title has probably skeered user @Grannyknot off the board

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 27, 2020, 16:50:21 PMI've seen less yallerjackets this year than in many, many years. I think all the heavy rains early drowned them out.

I heard they are building nests elsewhere, just not in the ground.  At least you can see them.

Dougfish

All I have a bunch of is skeeters. Those daytime active tiger ones are ruthless.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on August 28, 2020, 12:44:07 PMAll I have a bunch of is skeeters. Those daytime active tiger ones are ruthless.

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Fuck anything with a stinger. Just got new epipens in the mail.

No anomalies here. Skeeters are thick as usual. We did have a crazy amount of crane flies this spring (mosquito hawks)

Beetle

Quote from: driver on August 29, 2020, 21:07:36 PMWe did have a crazy amount of crane flies this spring (mosquito hawks)

Same here.....weird.    They were everywhere

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Beetle on August 30, 2020, 06:48:36 AM
Quote from: driver on August 29, 2020, 21:07:36 PMWe did have a crazy amount of crane flies this spring (mosquito hawks)

Same here.....weird.    They were everywhere

Many in the family are truly semi-aquatic, so increase in precipitation could perhaps explain – any new or permanent wet areas = habitat.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Stone-Man

No skeeters,wasps,few borer bees,a few mud dobbers,normal amount of spiders and ants. Do Yawl think that this is due to the 2,700 ft. and lots of rain. Kind of got me wondering  ???

JT

Big J

Yard was covered with Blue Winged Wasp. Over 100 hovering over the grass. Cool insect.

hcrum87hc

Quote from: greg on August 27, 2020, 11:52:28 AMWe have had hardly any wasp this year. Some years bastards are everywhere. Mosquitoes are eating my ass alive and supposedly exterminator is spraying yard once a month.

This has been my experience.  Hardly any wasps/hornets, but those mosquitoes will tote your ass off at my house in the early evening. 
Jeremiah 17:7

Native Fisher

Next to none on the mosquitoes and deer flies at my valley home which has been great.  Have the usual amount of wasps.