Inyo National Forest

Started by Big J, August 03, 2020, 10:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

If we had caught brookies, we would have eaten them.  d:b
All fish caught were goldens and/or hybrids.

And yes, me buying an expensive, 5 oz, breathable rain jacket guaranteed no rain.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 07, 2020, 09:59:38 AM
Quote from: itieuglyflies on August 07, 2020, 09:23:25 AMOnly lacking photo was of the airplane girl.

Yes, I want to see a photo of this gal with the "garter tattoo".  We've all wondered for years about the physique of some of Grayson's relatives.  You were near, engaged with, one of his clan and you failed to properly document the encounter! 

I also want to see a pic of the six Filson girls – image for my next shower. 

Report just gets better!  You Virginia boys rule!

You would approve of all but one Filson Girl.  One was fly fishing. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on August 07, 2020, 10:25:17 AMAnd yes, me buying an expensive, 5 oz, breathable rain jacket guaranteed no rain.
:o
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Tis saddening the trip is over.  Thanks for the ride.

We should all make a point to live a little larger.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on August 07, 2020, 11:37:19 AMWe should all make a point to live a little larger.

Truth. I refuse to act my age.  -+;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Stone-Man

Yes and Hell Yes
This has got to be one of if not the best trip reports that I have ever read.  Thanks for all the good pictures of the landscape and gorgeous fish.  This will be one of Yawl's greatest memories.
  As to LAX -- I got stuck in that SOB once for about 6 hours. Damn freak show  !!

JT

Yallerhammer

Wow. Damn. GoodGodamighty. Beautiful country, beautiful fish. Even their groundhogs out there are prettier than ours. That has always been on my bucket list too, but I'd say my bucket will spring too many leaks before I ever get there.

'c;  :bow
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

benben reincarnated

Never seen so little rhodo in my life.

Dougfish

J messaged me this morning to remind me that one year ago today, we were fishing, and catching in this big, deep lake high up in CA.
Days in the 70's, nights in the 30's.
Earthquake in LA.
Not a care in the world.
Fuck.  :wave

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Big J on August 05, 2020, 19:14:53 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 05, 2020, 18:49:30 PMWhat map(s) did you find to be most useful / accurate in planning? How was navigation? GPS or old school?

You cannot view this attachment.

Old school. We ordered 4 Tom Harrison topo maps to plan this trip. Ended up taking the Tom Harrison Mount Whitney High Country map.

And I had my GPS watch and Doug had his GPS. We only fired them up a couple times mainly to see how much further we had on a couple of the hikes.

What a great trip. Man did it bring back some memories, I talked to Doug and Keith on a zoom call just a few weeks before you guys went out and I knew where you were basically going. I remember Keith and I both laughing and trying to advise Doug altitude ain't no joke and you needed at least one night of acclimatization before starting out. We always tried to spend the night somewhere  between 7500-8000'. We also use Diamox, although I hear now days any ANSED taken the day before and continuing the first few days helps. I lived on the Western side of the Sierras in Hanford and Visallia for 5-6 years and did many trips in the Sierras. I lived about 30minutes from the entrance of Sequoia. I was flying search and rescue for the Navy (NAS Lemoore) the first couple of years and most of the recuses took place in the Sierras. Many were in Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite. We did some suff on he eastern side, but that was more often covered by the NAS at Fallon,There is no place more beautiful in the world. After that gig I worked on trail crews and fire fighting crews in the Sierra National Forest (Jackass Lakes Station). I wasn't a hard core fisherman then I was more interest in backpacking and peak bagging. About the only time we went to the Eastern side was go do some of the 14,000 footers (Whitney, Williamson, Tyndel, and Muir) were a few I remember. Mostly out of the Whitney Portal area. We would use that and the Lone Pine creek and Meysan Basin to access those areas. I do remember ever little creek and lake under about 115000 would have trout in it and they were easy to catch. I carried a 7' Eagleclaw Trailmaster, it was a 7 foot 4wt fly rod and you could switch the hadle around and make it a spinning rod. I'd use small spinner baits and salmon eggs. We always supplemented our diet with fish. I would love to see more of you photos. I dug my slide projector out and was looking at slides all night. I remember going up through Crabtree many times on the way to the Palisades and Minarets. We fished Hitchcock Lk, Tumberline LK, Guitar LK, and Wallace just to name a few. We also fished Lone Pine Ck, The Kern from Crabtree and Cottonwood all the way up to it's tributaries and then across the Chucpa Plateau back to the Western Divide . You guys made a good call on fishing the lakes. I never caught Goldens that size. Most of the Kern and creeks we full of 6-8 Rainbow-Golden hybrids. Seeing the glacial erratics, the foxtail pines, the juniper, and lodgepoes, the bright blue sky, and the fish made me wish for one more trip. Next time don' take a tent, take a trap or rainfly. It almost never rains and when it does it's only a couple of hours. We would rig the trap up as a place to get out of the sun when we were above timberline. The altitude, low humidity, make the sun restless. When you go next time do a little research and see if you can find someone to make a food drop for you. Most of those outfitters will do it for next to nothing because they always have room for something that small and light. Sure would like to see some more photos. The trips from the West side to the East of the range were always my favorites. The Incense Ceders, Sugar Pines, Ponderosas, Sequoias and wild flowers are more prevelant on the West slope. It also was more of gentle  assent which  gives you more time to acclimatize. It takes a couple days to reach the Western divide and most of the passes are between 9-11000 feet. I miss the sunsets and the alpenglow, not to mention the night sky which was like being in a planetarium. I sure made a mistake by not going to Sky Blue lake, I think we went to lake South America instead. Was your GPS's of any use? We always did it old school with a top and a compass. Navigation was always fairly easy but me and my friends were all navigation qualified air crew. We still took wrong turns a time or two, but it was ususally easy to correct. A lot of the hiking we did was off trail cross county. The best summer I ever spent in the Sierra was on a Sequoia Project. There were 3 or us counting ,marking, measuring trunks 4 feet off the ground, and estimating the height every Sequoia Tree on a 15min quad for the forest service. The Forest Service carried our camping equipment in and moved it every couple of weeks when they brought the resupply. We were resupplied by horse every 2 or 3 weeks. I've been in love with them  area ever since,
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Big J

It was gorgeous country. I'll definitely get back there a couple more times in my life Lord willing. Sky Blue really was the highlight of the trip. It's amazing trout that size are thriving in an environment that is so lifeless and unforgiving.

Trails are all marked really well and we only turned on the GPS a couple times to get an idea of how much further we wanted to hike. Mainly referred to maps for that though.

Anyone who gets to spend a lot of time in that back country is lucky!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on August 24, 2021, 07:09:07 AMAnyone who gets to spend a lot of time in that back country is lucky!

My son just finished up 50+ days in/on the boundary waters working with outward bound this summer, he's now back in Utah teaching HS science near park city. 
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 24, 2021, 09:27:24 AM
Quote from: Big J on August 24, 2021, 07:09:07 AMAnyone who gets to spend a lot of time in that back country is lucky!

My son just finished up 50+ days in/on the boundary waters working with outward bound this summer, he's now back in Utah teaching HS science near park city. 

That's a long time to spend out. I hope OB pay has increased. I always wanted to go to the boundary waters.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on August 24, 2021, 15:36:17 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 24, 2021, 09:27:24 AM

That's a long time to spend out. I hope OB pay has increased. I always wanted to go to the boundary waters.

Two weeks of training then Two 22 day trips and one 10 day with only a couple of days between then!
me -There's a season?