News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

How I Spent My Morning

Started by Yallerhammer, July 18, 2020, 16:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Not me!!  :o
Like Yaller said, I don't want a fish that bad.

Dougfish

J, lets talk after next weeks 40+ miles.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Raven Fork used to be an object of fixation for me.  I remember the years it, and Enloe were closed to fishing. Too old, and don't give a crap at this point.

Posted this before, but this is the gorge section just above the reservation.  This vid has most of the major rapids.  Mangler, which is portaged, is not shown.

Raven Fork is not a piss trickle below Enloe, but a very large creek.  Drainage size at the gorges section is about 20 square miles, but it is a wet watershed due to all the altitude, producing an average flow of around 4 cfs per square mile.  This is 80 cfs folks.   I doubt this stream is running more than 100 cfs in the video.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on July 20, 2020, 13:45:03 PMLooked up the numbers.  It was 20 miles, 5,315 ft of elevation gain, and 4,462 ft of elevation loss.  Anyone want to take the Dude's spot?

Where were you starting, Big Creek or Greenbrier? 30 years ago, I would have taken you up on it. I used to bear hunt back in country like that. Now, No.  :laugh:
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on July 20, 2020, 13:45:03 PMLooked up the numbers.  It was 20 miles, 5,315 ft of elevation gain, and 4,462 ft of elevation loss.  Anyone want to take the Dude's spot?

How many days you plan to cover all that ground?

I would think trying to fish any significant time frame would require 4 days for the trip.  I've covered 25+ miles with that sort of elevation gain & loss over 3 days and there was no fishing time whatsoever.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

greg

A couple of years ago I went with smoky mountain hiking club up Ramsey to drinkwater pool. A small group went on up Ramsey until the hit AT and went up to guyot. They came out AT and down snake ridge to Cosby campground if I remember right. They were probably 10 that night getting out and this group hauls ass. We came back down Ramsey. Another time we went down breakneck ridge to three forks. One guy said he and a friend had gone down breakneck and up left fork of raven and out. I have been wanting to go down to three forks and camp a few days and fish. It looked great.

Big J

Quote from: rbphoto on July 21, 2020, 05:42:17 AM

How many days you plan to cover all that ground?

I would think trying to fish any significant time frame would require 4 days for the trip.  I've covered 25+ miles with that sort of elevation gain & loss over 3 days and there was no fishing time whatsoever.

I was thinking you'd need at least 5 days. Getting up Ramsey And to AT with a backpack and fishing would burn up a day and a half at least

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 20, 2020, 17:52:59 PMJ, lets talk after next weeks 40+ miles.

Ha! You laughed at that trip too two years ago

Big J

Quote from: greg on July 21, 2020, 05:50:50 AMA couple of years ago I went with smoky mountain hiking club up Ramsey to drinkwater pool. A small group went on up Ramsey until the hit AT and went up to guyot. They came out AT and down snake ridge to Cosby campground if I remember right. They were probably 10 that night getting out and this group hauls ass. We came back down Ramsey. Another time we went down breakneck ridge to three forks. One guy said he and a friend had gone down breakneck and up left fork of raven and out. I have been wanting to go down to three forks and camp a few days and fish. It looked great.

How did they say the trip above drinking water pool was? Heard there are some good falls to get above.

Grannyknot

The 3 forks area is pretty rugged.  You'll spend more time bushwacking than actual fishing.
Unless you want to just go to say you went, I'd pass.
Plenty of people go back there now, with all the info readily available on the internet, and there's lots of other places in the park to catch brook trout.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

greg

They said from drink water in was fairly easy for off trail. You go around several big falls before drink water. They said gradient above was a little less and forest opened up. Until drink water we stayed in creek except to bushwhacked around falls. One of the falls was pretty spectacular.