Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 02, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

California is about to begin the nation's largest dam removal project. Here's what it means for wildlife

>>>REDDING — After decades of negotiation, the largest dam-removal project in U.S. history is expected to begin in California's far north next year.

The first of four aging dams on the Klamath River, the 250-mile waterway that originates in southern Oregon's towering Cascades and empties along the rugged Northern California coast, is on track to come down in fall 2023. Two others nearby and one across the state line will follow.

The nearly half-billion dollars needed for the joint state, tribal and corporate undertaking has been secured. The demolition plans are drafted. The contractor is in place. Final approval could come by December.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-is-about-to-begin-the-nation-s-largest-dam-removal-project-here-s-what-it-means-for-wildlife/ar-AAXyHpJ#:~:text=California%20is%20about%20to%20begin%20the%20nation%E2%80%99s%20largest,to%20restore%20the%20natural%20state%20of%20the%20basin.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Pacific Northwest tribes want to hold American leaders accountable and remove 4 dams

Pacific Northwest tribes are pressuring President Biden to make good on his pledge to uphold treaties in Indian Country and remove four large dams on the Snake River.

>>>In the Pacific Northwest, tribal governments are pressuring President Biden to make good on his pledge to uphold treaties in Indian country. Tribes there want four large dams removed from the Snake River in Washington state in order to protect the salmon, whose numbers are dwindling. NPR's Kirk Siegler reports.

KIRK SIEGLER, BYLINE: Growing up, Shannon Wheeler heard stories passed down from elders about the enormous salmon runs here on this tributary just a few miles upstream of the Snake River. Fish making the long journey up here from the Pacific to spawn were also huge and hearty.

SHANNON WHEELER: Those are the types of stories even Lewis and Clark talk about.

SIEGLER: Wheeler is vice chairman of the Nez Perce tribe, which first sued the U.S. government in the 1990s as salmon in parts of this basin were on the brink of extinction. Despite years of work helping them get around the dams, the populations remain about the same as back then.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/1110338556/pacific-northwest-tribes-want-to-hold-american-leaders-accountable-and-remove-4-
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Have seen some real nice smallmouth caught below that dam. Most recently about 3 weeks ago some kids were cast netting in there and we saw them catch a nice Largemouth and then about a four pound Smallmouth. Put them on the stringer along with a couple carp.
I ratted 🐀 them out to the Pittsylvania Cnty Gamefish Officer, but he was an hour away and didn't make it before the kids left.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 11, 2022, 08:39:18 AMOne of four dams in that stretch of river.

I can only think of three down thataway. The one in the article, i.e. Long Mill, then Union Bridge Dam, then Schoolfield Dam. Next one upstream is Duke Power at Eden, NC. 
Am I missing one?
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

I was just going on memory without checking

1 of 3 it is
me -There's a season?

Fin

I just wished the Dan would actually clear up as much as the artists rendering shown in the article.  n!n 

Onslow

Quote from: Fin on July 12, 2022, 08:45:20 AMI just wished the Dan would actually clear up as much as the artists rendering shown in the article.  n!n 

It will in November,lol.

Woolly Bugger

The Path to Restoring Maine's Kennebec River

>>>Today, the future of the Kennebec River is at a turning point. Maine can continue the highly successful restoration of the river that has taken place over the past 20 years and help save Atlantic salmon from becoming extinct. We can improve the health of the river and enhance communities along the Kennebec. Doing so, however, will require Brookfield – the international, multi-billion-dollar energy giant that owns four dams between Waterville and Skowhegan – to be a productive partner. 

To help Mainers better understand this opportunity and the issues involved, we have compiled some answers to frequently asked questions and explained how you can help.

Why Now? Why the Kennebec?

The Kennebec was once the most productive river in Maine for sea-run fish, with Atlantic salmon runs in the hundreds of thousands. The removal of the Edwards Dam in Augusta in 1999 has been one of Maine's biggest environmental success stories, with millions of river herring returning annually, along with shad, sturgeon, and other species. 

https://www.nrcm.org/blog/path-to-restoring-kennebec-river/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Two Sabattus River dams are coming down

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in partnership with the Maine Department of Marine Resources and the Atlantic Salmon Federation, began the removal of two dams on the Sabattus River near Lisbon on Thursday.

Once the project is complete, more than 2,000 acres of lake and pond habitat and 75 miles of rivers and streams will be reopened to migratory fish such as alewives, shad, eels, and endangered Atlantic salmon.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says removing the Upper Town Dam and the Mill Remnant Dam will also eliminate public safety hazards and reduce flooding risks.

The project is being made possible, in part, by $350,000 in Bipartisan Infrastructure Law funding.

https://www.mainepublic.org/environment-and-outdoors/2022-09-15/two-sabattus-river-dams-are-coming-down

Once access is restored, a self-sustaining run of nearly 500,000 adult alewives could return to Sabattus Pond every year.

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Not a removal, but...

Russell lake is a recent build on the Savannah River.  Work started in the 70s during the time when it seemed like the Army Corp wanted to damn everything. The lake came to fruition in the early 80s.

What was lost is 25 mile miles of remote Savannah River as it winds through a Fall Line. Gradient near Trotter Shoals runs about 25' per mile.  The river here drains about 3900 square miles, and was the size of the New River at the VA/WV state line. A river this size with this much fall would have produced some some serious III whitewater at Trotter shoals, and some great habitat for bass.  The topography here is somewhat hilly, and the river had many islands.  What a treasure lost.  Damn.

Just spent a couple days working in Calhoun Falls. This place is sparse.  People who seek to move to Florida should consider lake like on the SC/GA border.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

The damn dams well help prevent Alabama bass from migrating up the Deep River, Smith River, Mayo, Bannister River, and the Dan (Kerr Lake Alabama bass), and the upper portions of the Little River (Pee Dee watershed), and the Little River (Floyd & Montgomery County), Falling River VA.

jwgnc

The largest dam demolition in history is approved for a Western river

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's unanimous vote on the lower Klamath River dams is the last major regulatory hurdle and the biggest milestone for a $500 million demolition proposal championed by Native American tribes and environmentalists for years. The project would return the lower half of California's second-largest river to a free-flowing state for the first time in more than a century.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.