• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2021, 11:45:47 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 02, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Dammed, drugged, poisoned: Shad, eels and smallmouth bass struggle to survive in Susquehanna River

>>>Three troubled species
What's changed is that civilization has caught up with the smallmouth bass.

The fish are among the species that call the river their home — along with American shad and eel — that have been most affected by human activity. The species are very different, and the challenges they face are varied, but one thing is certain: Their numbers are not what they used to be, and that is a reflection of the health of the watershed.

Shad and eel — species that migrate to spawn — are hampered by the four large hydroelectric dams on the lower section of the river, from the Conowingo near the river's mouth in the south, to Holtwood, Safe Harbor and York Haven dam, respectively, to the north. The dams, in addition to causing problems with sediment, impede the migration of the shad and eel, migration that is essential for the fish to propagate.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/environment/bs-md-susquehanna-river-species-20210227-4zw6pcdsgvek7pojvv7sjm7q5u-story.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

'The stars are aligned': Rep. Mike Simpson breaks down plan to breach Snake River dams

>>>WASHINGTON — When Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson publicly called for breaching four Lower Snake River dams on Sunday, Feb. 7, as part of his Energy & Salmon Concept, public reaction, it's fair to say, was shock. And although Simpson certainly heard the swift criticism of his plan, voices as wide-ranging as tribes, environmental groups, energy interests and farmers were quick to praise his proposal for its collaborative spirit and attempt to find compromise solutions — something not heard much out of Washington nowadays.

https://www.eastoregonian.com/news/state/the-stars-are-aligned-rep-mike-simpson-breaks-down-plan-to-breach-snake-river-dams/article_0e86d7ae-77bc-11eb-acba-6f360fdf7743.html

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Major Fish Passage Barrier to Be Addressed on the Chehalis River

>>>"Restoring and reconnecting access to spawning habitat is the most important action we can take to help salmon, steelhead and lamprey survive and give them a fighting chance to someday thrive once again," Quinault Indian Nation Vice President Tyson Johnston said in a press release. "The Quinault Nation appreciates the vision of Weyerhaeuser, the Lewis Conservation District, the state of Washington and all the partners involved in the investment to create a better future for salmon in the Chehalis Basin."

https://www.chronline.com/stories/major-fish-passage-barrier-to-be-addressed-on-the-chehalis-river,262413

me -There's a season?

#CommissionsEarned