Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Republicans on a U.S. House panel blasted the Biden administration on Tuesday for an agreement they said paved the way for four dams' removal from the Snake River in eastern Washington state.

The agreement to take steps to restore salmon populations in the Snake River that President Joe Biden announced in December with the states of Oregon and Washington and four tribes in the region would lead the way to removing four dams on the river, U.S. House Energy and Commerce Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers and other Republicans on the committee's  Subcommittee on Energy, Climate, and Grid Security said at a hearing.

Government and academic studies have suggested that Snake River dams are an obstacle to the recovery of endangered salmon species in the Pacific Northwest, which requires action under the Endangered Species Act. Federal agreements with tribes also require the government to maintain robust salmon populations.

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2024/01/30/allegations-of-secret-deal-to-remove-four-snake-river-dams-aired-by-u-s-house-gop-at-hearing/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Saving salmon: Newsom unveils blueprint for ending decades-long decline

Chinook and other salmon runs are collapsing. Conservation groups call it too little, too late. Plan includes dam removals and restoring river flows.

With salmon populations throughout California declining for decades and facing the threat of extinction, Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled a state strategy aimed at protecting and restoring the iconic species "amidst hotter and drier weather exacerbated by climate change."

The blueprint released Tuesday calls for tearing down dams and improving passages for migrating salmon, restoring flows in key waterways, modernizing hatcheries to raise fish and taking other steps to help Chinook, coho, steelhead and other migrating fish.

"We're doubling down to make sure this species not only adapts in the face of extreme weather but remains a fixture of California's natural beauty and ecosystems for generations to come," Newsom said in a statement.

https://oregoncapitalchronicle.com/2024/01/31/saving-salmon-newsom-unveils-blueprint-for-ending-decades-long-decline/

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

jwgnc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13152675/baby-salmon-dead-california-klamath-river-iron-gate-dam.html

Mysterious disease kills 800,000 salmon babies just released into California river to help improve population in stream
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

There are glimmers of Atlantic salmon success in Maine

"Chase the fish, boy. Yer down to the backin'. Chase the fish," shouted my guide.

The Medalist reel sang as the 9-weight line wound off the spool with authority. The tip of the Sage fly rod pulsated as the 18-pound Atlantic salmon lived up to its reputation, leaping and twisting above the frothing waters of the Upsalquitch River.

The dance of this powerful silver game fish took my breath away. My heart pounded. As instructed, I chased the fighting fish downriver stumbling and banging my knees on the slippery stream-side stones.

Will those days ever return?

https://www.bangordailynews.com/2024/03/12/outdoors/outdoors-contributors/atlantic-salmon-success-maine-joam40zk0w/
me -There's a season?