News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

High Life in the Low Country

Started by Sedition and Pockets, February 15, 2020, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedition and Pockets

This has been an absolutely brutal winter for me.  I mostly managed to tip toe through the raindrops after coming out this summer, but as the season turned dark, my life turned with it.  I suppose it was inevitable that there would be folks in my life who just would not be able to keep walking with me down the road I've taken, but for a good minute, it seemed that I was going to miss out on the experience of losing important people from my life. 

Unfortunately, when it finally did happen, it was the person who has meant more to me in my adult life than anyone else.  We dated 15 years ago, and it was tumultuous to say the least, but we parted as the best of friends, and that had endured.  She was the rock that gave me the foundation to get through the worst times I've ever had.  Her father died when she was a teenager, and when she got married, I gave her away.  When her mother passed three years ago, I was a pallbearer at the funeral.  We were close.  But, in the end, this proved to be a path she couldn't walk with me, and she recently turned on me in a pretty vicious way.  I'm prone to seasonal depressions anyway, but her betrayal has spun me into the darkest spiral I've had in 20 years or more.  It hasn't helped that getting hormone replacement dialed in is more art than science, and while we've pretty well got testosterone suppressed, my estrogen levels have not gotten there yet to compensate.  There's just no go juice there right now, and that wasn't caught until my labs came through at the end of January.  My doc doubled my estrogen dose, and that seems to be helping, but I really, really need things to go right for me so I can pull out of this dive.

Thankfully, my cousin Drew hit me up late last week to suggest I come down and fish with him in the SC Low Country where he makes his home, so I packed my shit up and burned up the highway to go see him in Beaufort.  It turned out to be just what the doctor ordered, and just when I needed it most. 

The weather was absolutely spectacular, warm sun, a gentle breeze and blue skies to catch the eyes.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The fishing was almost as good as the weather.  Each day, we hiked out to a nice beachside cut and laid them the hell out.  If you've never been on a hot winter speck bite, it is truly something else.  There must have been thousands of fish stacked up in the cut, and almost every cast resulted in a fish.  We caught them each day until we literally got bored and headed back to the shack for beer and bullshitting.  The only downside was a bottom littered with barnacle encrusted snags, and many clousers were sacrificed to the gods of the sea. 

Every once in a while, I picked off a bonus fish from amongst the ranks of the trout.

I bummed around Beaufort a little between tides.  I've always thought it is one of the most beautiful small towns in the South.

It's been a slog, but I came home feeling rejuvenated.  As a certain Saffa might say, "Jah will provide."

Cheers y'all!

Claire

Dee-Vo

Well, so you lost your nails during your salty foray?

Sedition and Pockets

Quote from: Dee-Vo on February 15, 2020, 13:45:52 PMWell, so you lost your nails during your salty foray?

Yeah, whatever Mekong Delta witch glue they use to attach acrylics wasn't fully up to saltwater environments.  When I set on a couple of reds, the line wedged under the nails and they popped loose when the fish ran.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Dylar on February 15, 2020, 16:39:58 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on February 15, 2020, 13:45:52 PMWell, so you lost your nails during your salty foray?

Yeah, whatever Mekong Delta witch glue they use to attach acrylics wasn't fully up to saltwater environments.  When I set on a couple of reds, the line wedged under the nails and they popped loose when the fish ran.

Upon initially reading this report, I thought you had maybe broken them off while trying to pull a fish out of the water, but then I wondered about the line, just as you had mentioned.

Maybe this is a prime opening opportunity for 'outdoor friendly nail epoxy.' I haven't studied the subject, but niche markets like that are huge. Who knows....

Dougfish

Different strokes troots. Nice work.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Beautiful country down thataway. I envy your cuz.

Stone-Man

Damn, Dude
 Some pretty work there. Of course,you are going to leave a ton of tackle in the barnacles,but when you are killing them like that--It just don't matter.  I hope you kept a few of those specs. Great eating fish IMHO
 Thanks for sharing this one and glad this trip "hit the spot" for you

JT

Woolly Bugger

:cheers fishing cures the blues -- carry on!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!