News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

Woolly Bugger

South by Southwest festival cancelled over coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51778423

Does anybody remember events being canceled during the H1N1 flu pandemic?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

No worse than the flu?

16 million quarantined in Italy  :o You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

As they just "locked down"  New Rochelle one mile radius from the epicenter of the largest outbreak in the USA, question is who will be next and how far will it go?

You cannot view this attachment.

Harvard tells students not to return after spring break, classes go online

Marshall islands suspends all foreign air traffic to stop spread of virus

me -There's a season?

ARontheFly

Google search Michael Osterholm - good 15 minute clip of a joe rogan podcast with him and also a CNN interview.
Good straight talk on the issue. I've been drinking more Corona's and craving Chinese takeout, my weak
brain is a sucker for subliminal marketing I suppose.
"We don't whitewash it either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey."

Al

This link just posted by our old buddy Trout Fantastic on his FB page who says we should take this stuff seriously . BTW for some of you who may not know TF is in the final stages of PA school.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03/a-covid-19-coronavirus-update-from-concerned-physicians.html?fbclid=IwAR2WU2NKaQlWu96KjnzJfCxLIfoEpTsG1R5Yxkh9JnBR7be0o_OKZWwVsHw

Woolly Bugger

This just in!

A couple in Burlington NC just purchased over $2,500 worth of ammo!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

rbphoto

I have seen too many articles and posts downplaying this and comparing it to flu or H1N1.

Being related to a few healthcare workers, and friends with dozens more (ER, ICU, RNs, MDs, Paramedics, etc) I believe this is not like H1N1. 

Is it overblown by the media?

Yes.

Is the potential for a large part of the population to be severely infected?

Yes.

Are healthcare workers and systems doing everything they can do prepare for the worst?

Yes.

One of our local systems just closed their smallest facility (less than 100 beds) to sanitize it and convert the rooms into makeshift isolation facilities for critically infected patients, if the need materializes. 

Good prep on the part of our community.

ER & Critical care MDs & RNs and Respiratory Therapists are all being taught proper PPE and procedural "donning & doffing" of said PPE to limit exposure to themselves and their colleagues.  They are discussing innovative ways to provide supportive care and limit aerosolization from respiratory distressed patients.

They are working through how to best reduce fomite transmission ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomite ) because that is a major unknown. 

Critically ill patients will be staffed at 2:1 nurse to patient ratios.  One nurse to care for the patient.  One nurse to act as the spotter for potential issues related to isolation protocol and to limit exposure to caregivers.

Most ER personnel, first responders, and community health workers believe they either already have been or will be exposed to the virus.  We simply did not get out in front of this soon enough.

My brother is an ER nurse and expects to catch hell when he returns to his next shift.

My son is quarantined pending test results from one of his healthcare worker friends.  The soonest he may be able to return to work is Thursday.  Test results are not always quick . . .

Numerous industries have already been affected and the reach is greater than many people realize.

My company has already seen "Stop Work" orders on a couple of large projects and multiple delays on others.  We build durable goods used in manufacturing and maintenance of large industries that support the infrastructure of our country. 

Schools are closed and many of the people with whom I work, worship and fellowship will be forced to stay home with their children, reducing the resources available to an enormous amount of businesses which will have significant impact over the next couple of weeks.

We will see innovative business opportunities created from this crisis.  The American people always respond to business opportunities with creativity to meet needs and put food on the table.

All of that to say that this is unprecedented in our country and we have a responsibility to care for those around us in ways we have probably never considered.  This has the potential to recreate community in ways that our culture has forgotten or abandoned.

Buy LOCAL!!!  Local, especially small businesses will suffer the most.

Check on the elderly and infirm and those without dependable transportation.  Go shopping for them or bring them something home cooked.

Be merciful to those who have fewer resources than you.  The poor are going to be harder hit than most of us realize. 

Many more people will end up poor as a result of this. 

I am a firm believer than people will rise to the level we expect them to.  Our culture has very low expectations and we call all fix that with some deliberate changes.

Do good for others. Speak to people with hopefulness and in such a way that you raise the expectation of them to be kind.

Work.  If your company allows, go to work.  If they don't, be productive.  Maybe on your home, vehicle, neighbor's home or vehicle, or any number of other creative ways.

Take a kid fishing.

Take an older person fishing.

Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 16, 2020, 18:05:07 PMThis just in!

They should have purchased strawberry plants.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 16, 2020, 18:05:07 PMThis just in!

I hear gun and ammo sales are up across the globe.  This seems rational to me.  I firmly recall that freshman biology class and the revelation that bullets were most effective against most all viruses.  Some loads and projectiles, particularly the silver ones, the same used to halt werewolves, are very competent at bringing down all types of microscopic, unseen bugs.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

My shopping for surviving Covid 19

- 0 degree sleeping bags for surviving with no heat
- 50 pound sack of corn flower > don't have
- 50 pound sack of steel cut oat groats > don't have
- Wood fuel camp stove
- Dutch Oven
- hand powered grinding mill > don't have
- More beehive woodware and wax foundation
- Up to date will
- Buckwheat seed enough .25 acre....enough roundup to kill front lawn to replace with buckwheat.
- Seeds of all kind.  Beets, mustard, Alaskan blue cabbage,everything!
- Screens and plywood for drying fruit
- Gravity water filtration system > don't have
- Gutter cistern for watering garden > don't have
- 10 year supply of captan
- 3 year supply of herbicide
- Lye > don't have
- Couple new bow saws
- 50 pounds of coffee beans > don't have
- 50 pounds of carnation dried milk. > don't have
- Couple Black Twig apple trees on Bud9 rootstock.
- Large fish trap to catch catfish > don't have

$2500 for ammo is a waste. A Troy Bilt horse tiller is worth much more.

Woolly Bugger

This just in:

Wife sent husband out to buy eggs, all stores sold out, so he goes and buys a gun instead.
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 19, 2020, 02:16:44 AMThis just in:

Wife sent husband out to buy eggs, all stores sold out, so he goes and buys a gun instead.

Buy a god damned chick at Tractor supply.  Dumbass.

Phil

I tried "going back to the land" in the mid 1970's to the mid 80's. Had 10 acres, chickens, goats, big garden, etc. It didn't work. I worked my ass off in the garden, feeding animals, milking, making cheese, getting eggs, tilling, building barns, etc. Didn't raise enough food to feed squat. Would plant 100 pounds of seed potatoes (that I had to buy), then would get the blight and only end up with 75 pounds of potatoes at the end of the season, for example. Had to work two lousy jobs in addition to the "farm" in order to make enough money to go buy food, gas, pay bills, etc. Got tired of goat milk and eggs.
I'm under no illusions about "living off the land" anymore. Just me -- YMMV.

Big J

I think most of the gun sales are first time gun buyers according to most of the stuff I'm reading. Nobody I know that is into guns has gone out and bought another gun during this coronavirus scare.  Granted most of the people I know are in VA and they made their needed purchases during the AWB Bill hearings between Nov. and Feb.  Think the first time buyers are seeing how quickly things got out of control and came to the realization that the government doesn't have the ability to protect you during a crisis and a crisis tends to bring out the worst in people. 

I do think everyone across the board are stocking up on ammo which I think is dumb.  Prices are thru the roof right now.  It is not necessary to buy a crate of ammo right now. You are not going to need it, and you are going to take it up the rear on pricing.  My mags are full in my guns and if I were to need more than that, I have been in a really really bad situation for way too long and it is a miracle I made it that far.  People do not need to let paranoia get the best of them.  Invest that money in some stock in a month or two.

On the run on food, it is scary how quick and fragile the food supply chain is when people panic.  And this was not even a "end of the world we need food" situation.  And the stupidity in some of the bulk purchases amazes me.  I can't tell you how many pictures I saw with shopping carts with 20 gallons of milk and 30 loaves of bread. 

I went to the grocery store, bought a pack of eggs, 3lbs of ground beef, a little coffee, and some olive oil. Just what I was running low on and needed for the week.  Shelves are already restocked at all our locations.  All is well.  Practice social distancing, get out into the woods with family members, go to the grocery stores bright and early to avoid crowds of virus carrying morons, and try to see the good in people and society the best you can.  We are currently living thru history right now.  This is an unprecedented event we are seeing in our life time.  Not in history, but in our life time.  See you all out on the trout stream.