News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Twice as Nice (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, January 17, 2020, 20:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Hitting the road early this morning felt good. Made sure my son would be picked up if I didn't make it back by 5:30 this evening, grabbed some grub, and put the gas pedal in the fun position.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The thermometer in my truck read 27 degrees when I got close to my target creek. Waders, boots, gloves, hood, check. Strung up my 5 wt. and hit the first crick. Icicles clung to every surface shimmering like ornaments at Christmas. Quite attractive. Two small rainbows -- one of which was missing the front half of its head. It got lucky somewhere along the line. Oddly enough, the last time I fished this creek I caught browns and no 'bows. Go figure.

The first creek grew boring real quick. Boom. Make tracks to the next target on the agenda.

Deep holes, big pools, loud falls. These areas should hold a few fish. I slid down and climbed up about 50 vertical banks today. Was worth it.

Cast. Strip, strip, strip, fish on! A good small stream brown is pulled into the net. Smiles all around.

Literally, I released the fish and......

Cast...Strip, strip, strip, BOOM. Another fish on, and even bigger. It never gets old when a fish takes a big fly and you set the hook, and the butter just rolls to the surface, struggling for release. This was a battle. Strong fish.

Netted. Done, son.

This would conclude the action for the day, not complaining. Exploration ensued for a couple more hours before making the long trek back to the vehicle.

Lovin' this cold weather stuff. Always have.

I'll be back y'all. I dig the quietness....

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Nice little browntown. -+;

Buts let talk about that non-welded loop. WTF?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

Good stuff,nice Browns for sure. I agree with Dougie that leader to fly line knot is interesting.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Dougfish on January 17, 2020, 21:30:20 PMNice little browntown. -+;

Buts let talk about that non-welded loop. WTF?

Figured someone would see that. That fly line came without a welded loop and I didn't know until I took it into the woods the first time and got on the creek.

Can't even remember what I did. I tied a knot to the leader that day so I could fish. Works, but a little cumbersome when/if you pull that knot through the end guide of the rod. I need to fix that at some point.

greg

Better than my day. Well done.

Yallerhammer

Good stuff! I need to get out there, but the creeks have been about blown out here for nearly a month.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

troutrus

If I was catchin' fish like that, I'd leave the knots just the way they are.