Simms or Orvis LW boots

Started by Big J, January 02, 2020, 19:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Wading boots are ok, but as with waders, they are not essentials.  Forgot them one day while creekin this past year, with pair of Merrills, and all went well.  My next pair of wading boots will be a pair of Bethel tactical boots that can be purchased at Robbies in Mt. Airy NC.

I've had too many slip incidents on mud/wet dirt that nearly put me on some rocks that would have resulted in serious injury. I believe conventional vibram soles are generally more functional for the overall fishing experience which also involves hiking/hill scrambling. 

Dougfish

I'm hiking in lightweight boots and wading (what little there is) in even lighter sandals. GT are the other GT.
 :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

If there's any distance to it I usually use my hiking shoes nowadays and slide the wading boots on once I get to the fishing part. My Merrell hiking shoes do not do well in streams concerning grip, not at all. @Onslow - what type do you use? Also, Robbie's is a no-go for me.  p;-

driver

I forgot my wading boots one day. So I wore what I had on. Keen Detroit Mids. On land these are the grippyest shoes I have ever worn. And they did exceptionally well on the stream. But I do have to keep in mind this was a high elevation granite brookie creek with very few slick rocks.

That also being said hiking boots are not designed to be wet all the time arlnd are likely to fall apart and rot quicker than a wading boot.

With all that being said, I've had good luck with Simms in the higher price ranges. Freestones... not so much.

troutrus

Just bought a pair of the Orvis Ultralights after reading this thread. Followed the advice on Amazon reviews to get two sizes larger than foot size. Glad I did. My normal shoe size is 11 so I ordered a 13. Fit very nice over the waders.
Somewhat disappointed to see they were made in Viet Nam.

Dougfish

I've got 3 years on my Freestones (which is a world record for me). They will fail me this year.
Like those Orvis. But, I love my felt and studs. I'm gonna have a tough decision.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on January 27, 2021, 19:32:00 PMJust bought a pair of the Orvis Ultralights after reading this thread. Followed the advice on Amazon reviews to get two sizes larger than foot size. Glad I did. My normal shoe size is 11 so I ordered a 13. Fit very nice over the waders.

Any American made boot whether work or wading will cost around $350.  Patagucci/Danner appear to be the only American made wading boots on the market.

My first pair of wading boots were Danner.  Damn things lasted 7 years.

troutrus

The irony of fighting wars under the guise of preventing the spread of Communism only to turn around a few years later and conduct open trade with a couple communist countries is beyond my comprehension.
China and now more and more from Viet Nam. North Korean product is likely on the horizon.

Big J

Quote from: troutrus on January 27, 2021, 19:32:00 PMJust bought a pair of the Orvis Ultralights after reading this thread. Followed the advice on Amazon reviews to get two sizes larger than foot size. Glad I did. My normal shoe size is 11 so I ordered a 13. Fit very nice over the waders.

I've been happy with my pair.  Just don't hike 7 miles uphill in the Sierras in them and they will treat you good.

troutboy_II

They are made in China, but I continue to be a fan of Chota STL's for comfort. relative light weight and durability.  I think there were some on the board that had issues with them in the past, but I have always had good luck with them.  Might be something else to look at, if you can find them - not every shop carries them these days.

My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

troutrus

Quote from: troutboy_II on January 28, 2021, 11:45:48 AMThey are made in China, but I continue to be a fan of Chota STL's for comfort. relative light weight and durability.  I think there were some on the board that had issues with them in the past, but I have always had good luck with them.  Might be something else to look at, if you can find them - not every shop carries them these days.

My $.02.

TB

Yeah, IYou cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. have a pair of the Chota's and liked them a lot. They are nice and light but the pair I've been wearing seem to be getting tighter every time I wear them. Apparently it's more than just my waistline that has been spreading. 🙂.  Figured I'd try something different. Side by side, the Chota appears and feels to be lighters and less cumbersome, but the scale suggests no significant difference in weight.

Dougfish

Picked up my Orvis Lightweights.
Put the studs in and decided to try them out before I take them to CO next week.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Good grip, didn't bust my ass.
And I caught the slam. I think they'll do fine.
I did lose a stud. But J has been losing them, too.
Rubber soles don't hang on to them like felt.

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

troutrus

Dougfish

Yep. I have a bag of 250 I have been using for years.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on June 03, 2021, 20:37:27 PM

Picked up my Orvis Lightweights.
Put the studs in and decided to try them out before I take them to CO next week.

Good grip, didn't bust my ass.
And I caught the slam. I think they'll do fine.
I did lose a stud. But J has been losing them, too.
Rubber soles don't hang on to them like felt.

Well, how do you like them?  Shopping... Tired of hoofing about with a backpack just for boot stashing.  I've been carrying a dry pair of shoes in a backpack for my hikes out.  This does help my feet, but I do wish to simplify things a bit.