News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Mitchell or Stone Mt.?

Started by Bloy, June 22, 2006, 05:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloy

My son-in-law and I are thinking about heading for some trout water early Saturday. Got to be back for my 50th birthday bash Sat. afternoon  0--0. Wondering if either of these waters are worthy of fishing with the lack of rain fall and recent temperatures?  ???
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Devinsdad

Barry-
With DH being over , I would think these streams are clear of anything with gills now...there maybe a few holdovers...but very few

badankles

if DD said so, then i'd believe him, especially with all the posts about people chomping at the bit for june 1.  have u thought about trying the smith?  it's closer, too.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

phg

I'm sure the Mitchell is cleaned out.  Stone Mt. seems to hold fish better, but they will be much more spread out, and much harder to catch.  With the low water levels that we are experiencing, I would expect any trout to be very spooky.  I'd be looking to the tailwaters for trout, or chasing bass in the rivers.

Bloy

Quote from: badankles on June 22, 2006, 11:09:04 AM
  have u thought about trying the smith?  it's closer, too.
Neither one of us have a Va. license plus I don't know anything about the Smith, where to go , etc.
Barry
...Kermit

phg

Quote...plus I don't know anything about the Smith, where to go , etc.
Barry

That part's easy.  The fish are in the water.  ;D  No, really, at over 3000 fish per mile of stream, there are very few places between the dam and Martinsville that don't have some catchable fish.

It does help, the first time, to have someone show you where the parking places are.  There are several favorite access points, and a few "Posted" sections, but, for the most part, the Smith is open access.  I'm just learning it myself, and estimate that it will take another 10 years or so....

We need us a Smith River outing.  Meet somewhere around 7am, pair up the newbys with someone who knows the river a bit and fish till noon.  Then, maybe a barbaque up near the dam..... 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: phg on June 23, 2006, 08:36:20 AM
Barry

That part's easy.  The fish are in the water.  ;D  No, really, at over 3000 fish per mile of stream, there are very few places between the dam and Martinsville that don't have some catchable fish.

It does help, the first time, to have someone show you where the parking places are.  There are several favorite access points, and a few "Posted" sections, but, for the most part, the Smith is open access.  I'm just learning it myself, and estimate that it will take another 10 years or so....

We need us a Smith River outing.  Meet somewhere around 7am, pair up the newbys with someone who knows the river a bit and fish till noon.  Then, maybe a barbaque up near the dam..... 

Set it up in the Group Trips section and they will come!!!!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flyman

I don't really have anything to add about your choice of fishing locations, but I would like to wish you a happy birthday 0--0 50 is a big one, remember the day after your birthday you will be closer to 60 than 40 ;)
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

badankles

i've not been there either.  i'd definately go for the group outing.  with it being only 2.5 hrs. or so away makes it easier to plan for with this 9-5 (more like 9-7) job, work travel, along with a family with two little ones...
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

outdoorguy3

Heading to the Smith River on Sunday....anybody wanna show me around? ??? ;)

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Bloy

Quote from: badankles on June 23, 2006, 10:57:16 AM
 with it being only 2.5 hrs. or so away makes it easier to plan for with this 9-5 (more like 9-7) job, work travel, along with a family

We need us a stream IMPLANT   ;D somewhere nearer by   8) We've got the passion, just can't swing all that drive time ::)
Barry
...Kermit

Bloy

Quote from: phg on June 23, 2006, 08:36:20 AM
Barry

That part's easy.  The fish are in the water.  ;D 

Y'all are 2 phunny 0--0
Barry
...Kermit

lepomis_mcro

QuoteHeading to the Smith River on Sunday....anybody wanna show me around? 

good one ralph,,,i almost belived you ;)
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.