Albies 2019 - round two - OK... boomer!

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 11, 2019, 11:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Text came in from Driver around noon on Saturday.

"Last minute Albies tomorrow?" he asked.

So yeah, set the alarm for 2:50 AM to meet the Driver by 4:00

I arrived a bit early and we were off without delay.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

red sky... nothing to fear

at the ramp 8:05 am

rigged up the rods in the no-wake zone. I chose the BVK 10 weight - it still had 15 lb fleuro tippet but there was a loose wind knot which I worked out. Proceeded to tie on a fly fucked the know and lost the fly. Tied on another and then we were off following some intel from the previous day.

We spent some time looking for them south along Atlantic Beach while listening to the radio for reports of where the guides (Brian and Sarah) might be. The sea was dead were we were so we boogied on up to the hook for a look. All the time listening to the radio, the signal was stronger and eventually, we figured out that they, the guides and the fish, were on the east side. Fortunately, the seas were relatively calm as we crossed over the shoals to the east side.

Jason hooked up on one trolling and Capt. Sarah yelled out, "You can't count that one!"

Shortly after that, I hooked one that broke me off, upon inspection the fleuro snapped, maybe there was a nick in it, couldn't tell, maybe 15 lb wasn't enough, I took some comfort in that it wasn't my knot. 

I tied on a new leader with 20 pound in seas that Sarah described as "sporty" in her report. I had to tie my loop 3 times and then the fly, when I looked back up I began to feel a little queasy and before I knew it I was chumming the water, with Driver telling me to keep looking at the horizon. Eventually, I began to feel a little better, but far from 100%. The albies began busting and I hooked one, the adrenaline from that made my day even better.

Capt. Brian Horsley and his clients.

The Driver managed to catch three or four more, one of which was a big boy. He has the photos, as I was still trying to regain my sea legs. Things began to slow down and it was a frustrating game of whack-a-mole with the albies moving so quickly from one spot to another there wasn't even enough time to get a cast off before they were gone.

Back in calmer water I even felt good enough for a beer!

-fin

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Those pics of the big one you took with my phone never took.. I guess you hit the wrong button. Boomer..

you know its a good report when my beer fridge shows up!

Notice how the water is darker in front of Capt. Horsley's boat. That was a 300 yard long school of menhaden. They were trying to catch big redfish off of it. I think they did succeed. We were not going to attempt with Keith's sea sickness. Being that on the east side we were fishing in 2ft rollers.

Dougfish

Keith is a lightweight.
Good chit.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Sorry about mashing the wrong button, but I never threw in the towel!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Big J

itieuglyflies

A shot of Woolly heaving over the side with a beer in his hand would have completed the story.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: itieuglyflies on November 12, 2019, 14:50:40 PMA shot of Woolly heaving over the side with a beer in his hand would have completed the story.

#boomerstrong
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Great report. One of my alltime favorite places. Haven't been since my saltwater partner left for the happy fishing grounds 5 years ago. 🙁
Way to hang in there even with the shaky belly. 👍🏻