News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Subaru Forester ?

Started by troutrus, November 10, 2019, 10:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Looking for a new or slightly used compact SUV for the wife. Research keeps showing the Subaru Forester rated near the top. Never knew anybody that has one, and the only place I've ever noticed any was parked along trout streams.
Wondered if anyone here has any knowledge of these cars or the Outback that might be shared.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Stone-Man

I have a forester that is now 13 months old and have not had 1 single thing wrong with it yet. I know several people including my neighbor that have 2 or more of them and they are sold on that vehicle. An added plus is that they are all wheel drive. I live on the side of a mountain where it snows a lot in the winter.  4X4 is a must for me.

JT

Phil

Yep, I have a Forester and have had Outbacks too. Excellent and they run forever. My Forester is a 2003 and going strong. Traded a 1997 Outback for it.  I've been running Subarus for the past 30 years. A must for mountain living imo (if ya don't require a pickup).

<edit> I'm losing my mind. Make that 40 years.

troutrus

Thank you for your replies.

Dougfish

Wife had a 2006. Now drives a 2015. I drive a 2018. Daughter and SIL have a 2012. Other two daughters in CO drive a 2018 Forester and a 2017 Crosstrack. Son and daughter in law have a 2017 Forester.
Yeah, we like them. All bought new. Finding a used one that has not been driven into the ground is difficult, though. I'm putting 27-28K a year on mine.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Fin

Bought my first Subaru in 2013.  A new 2014 Forester.  Drivers side heated seat stopped working in 2016 as did the bluetooth connection.  I have replaced both rear wheel bearings, the transmission, and it uses oil.  I will never buy another Subaru.  Very disappointed.  Back to Toyota for me.

Phil

I generally run my Subarus 160K-180K before I trade 'em for a newer one. I guess Fin got a lemon -- wheel bearings aren't a big deal, but transmission?

Fin

Subaru received a barrage of complaints pertaining to CVTs in various makes, models, and years.  As luck (unluck) would have it, the 2014-2015 Forester is one such vehicle.  They extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles.  Mine went out at 107,000 miles.   -+;

ryguy

We bought a new Ascent this year, first Subaru purchased. My wife loves the car, and hope to get to that 180k+ range!

I do love my Tacoma, but I don't love the frame corrosion recalls.

Dougfish

Before my current Forester, I got 10 years, 264K out of my WRX. Ran the shit out it.
Went through a clutch, a turbocharger, heads, cam, oil pump, 2 water pumps, 2 timing belts, 2 batteries, 6? sets of tires, only one speeding ticket  :o  and a lot of thrills. Your mileage may vary.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

We have an 07 Forester 165k
-issues
-wheel bearings
-head gaskets (dealer said was a know issue)
-ac compressor
-had to replace radiator a few weeks ago
-due for timing belt

In comparison my previous truck,
01 Toyota Tacoma 259k
-2 Timing belts per 110k miles
-new shocks at 220k miles
Sold it for $7k

We usually drive a car until the wheels fall off or life changes require a new ride. I would by another Subaru. But I have had 3 Toyota's with a total of 680k miles and never had anything fail other than small minuscule things like sensors. 

The only thing stopping be from buying a Toyota to replace the Subaru is all the car models are lame.

Woolly Bugger

2014 crv 138 k

Water pump went out at 40k — warranty repair

1 Wheel bearing went at 100k

Replaced serpentine belt

On 3rd set of tires
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

I'd also buy a Honda CRV -- the only vehicle I'd be interested in other than Subaru. Good small SUV.

troutboy_II

Quote from: Phil on November 12, 2019, 08:28:38 AMI'd also buy a Honda CRV -- the only vehicle I'd be interested in other than Subaru. Good small SUV.

Although I love Subaru ads on TV, and I certainly look hard at them each time we are ready for new car, we have bought 3 Honda CR-V's over the last two decades and think, for the money, they are a great buy and a great car.  We were really figuring we would get a Volvo X60 this last time (love my old S60 on the road for long trips), but after driving the new CR-V Touring model, it was hands down a better fit for us and over $10k cheaper.  Great fit and finish and handles the Fire Service roads well.  Plenty of room for dogs and gear - I thought more than the Subaru, but I just eyeballed it. 

I keep saying I'll get something else each time, but the Honda keeps bringing us back.  Damn thing just runs and never needs repairs.  (Oh shit, I just cursed us!)

My $.02.

TB

Anyway,
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

troutrus

Thanks for all your input.
On Monday, my wife test drove a Forester up at Nelson near Basset, VA.  I got to ride along in the back seat(rather roomy for a compact) and view the lower Smith River, wishing I was fishing instead.😁
I thought the car was nice, but something about it she didn't like. To each their own. She was trading our 2017 Pacifica van and after driving vans and SUV types for the last 20 years, she had the urge to go back to a "regular car", i.e. a sedan.
Went over to the Ford dealer here in Eden and got a great deal(at least that's what the salesman said😳) on a 2019 leftover Fusion. Saved $$$ vs the Forester and the wife seems happy. And ya know what they say about the wife being happy. 😁