News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Squirrels

Started by Stone-Man, November 04, 2019, 17:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone-Man

An interesting thing has happened in my area---The squirrels have disappeared for miles around. The only occasional squirrels are immature first year animals that I assume were too young to travel. I normally have 10-15 squirrels around the house as do my neighbors within 5 miles of me. There are none now other than the 1st year animals. The old timers say that they have gone because there is not enough hard mast and it is going to be a bad winter. I have never seen a migration,but a buddy saw one 30 years ago -- Hundreds of them all moving in the same direction.There are very few acorns here ,but there are bumper crops of hickory and walnuts ........... Gimme Yawls thoughts   

JT

Woolly Bugger

Pm your addy and I'll ship you a gross of them. No shortage around here, jis say'in
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

NCsporksman

I skinned 3 off public land Friday, could take a limit in my yard with a landing net and some birdseed

Dougfish

We're down here. I harvested a bunch last winter and they have not rebounded yet. I think we have more hawk carnage, also. Another good, to great, acorn and hickory crop. But I'm not in the woods. Suburban bushy tail rats.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

where I hunted Saturday morning there was no shortage. I believe the squirrel to deer ratio was 37:1 and I saw 5 deer... The mast crop in this location is weak. What is out about your situation Stone-Man is squirrels love hickory and walnut. It could be a mountain think, there is no telling what those hillbilly squirrels are up to.

Onslow

My hillybilly MIL poisons squirrels.  So does some of her relatives.

Stone-Man

OK guys lemme give you some more info.  I do live in fairly dense woods with no neighbors in sight. I also live on the side of Holston Mtn.  Elev. is approx. 2,700 feet. But there are no squirrels in the valley below either.Nobody I have talked to has any squirrels other than young ones.  In addition to this, the song birds are down to almost zero. No more than 15 total birds which include ---titmouse,nuthatch,chickadee, cardinal. Zero finches,warblers,sparrows,siskins,juncos,jays ,etc,etc. Wood peckers are gone also. Nothing is pecking the suet either.
DamnifIknow what the hell is going on.

JT

Dougfish

You are overrun with Squashes, dude.  :o  d:b
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

driver

Stone-Man

Thanks Doug. All I need is a few Squatches. :o

Stone-Man Checking to Be Sure .308 is loaded

Yallerhammer

Come up here and get you a couple tractor-trailer loads.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

itieuglyflies

I seem to recall many years ago reading an article about mass migrations of squirrels during mast failures. As for lack of winter birds at your feeder,we have only within the last week had any white throated sparrows and juncos. Never known them to be this late arriving, plus other bird numbers are down. I am sure some will blame Trump.

itieuglyflies

An inter web search will find several articles about past squirrel migrations....just might be what is going on up JT's way.

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave